indoor/outdoor cats

zephyer78

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, not quite sure if this is the right place to post this, but heregoes. The weather is getting nicer and I was wondering about letting Autumn out with supervised visitation
I have no intention of letting her roam around with me not there or leaving her outside all the time or anything, just wanted to let her out in the back yard with me while I'm gardenig or reading or whatev. The yard is fenced in all the way, but I know thats not really a deterrent. Just wondering if any one had any thoughts on this or have dealt with it before?

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Princess is a indoor cat but she wants to go so bad. I wasn't really to thrilled with the idea but since I moved into a really quiet animal friendly neighborhood I've caved in and will allow her to outside supervised (of course). Most of the time she goes into a moveable dogs pen. It's about 4' X 6' so she has some room to move around. The one I have is only about 4' high and I didn't buy the cover but Princess is not a jumper (she will only jump as high as the bed inside) so it works for us. I'm always close by so even if she did decide to try to escape I would see it before she got out. I will also let her walk around out of the pen sometimes and have trained her to stay in a certain part of the yard. She always tries to escape when someone opens a door so I want her to know to go to the back if she does get out un-noticed. It's never happened but I feel better knowing she will always go to the back.

One thing though is I never let Princess walk out the door on her own to go out. I always carry her out because otherwise it confuses her why sometimes she can go out and other times she gets in trouble.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is not on a harness/leash or in a cat enclosure, she could easily take off if she wanted to. Keep that in mind. Personally I don't want to deal with fleas, etc. (least of the problems of outside cats).

Mine will have an enclosed porch to look out the screens when we build one on the house.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you'll be with her, you could get her a harness and a long line (I like thin clothesline) so she could explore the yard without running off. I wouldn't recommend tethering an unattended cat, though---very dangerous.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One thing you must be careful of is to make sure you have the right harness. Cats are notorious for getting out of harnesses really easily. As Willowy says, don't leave them tethered and unattended - very unsafe.

The other thing you need to keep in mind is that once they've been allowed out, they will sit at the door and meow to go out which can be annoying.
Bijou does it but only to hubby because my hubby used to let him out.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is indoor only, open the screen for fresh air and sniffing.
I love my cat to much to risk any harm to her.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love my cat just as much as anyone else on here that is why I allow my cat a life of his own to be healthy and free and run in the outside world that is a cats natural habitat (although I understand that that is not the situation for all, a busy city would be a no no most definately) . I live in a remote area with fields all around and no cars or people. We don't have rabies or the amount of predators that exist in the u.s and my kitty has not had any nasties from being outside. I don't think it is fair to judge like the last person Ms Blackie who posted with the scare tactics because all of our situations are different and we should be mindful to respect that. My cat loves going outside and he only goes out when one or both of us are at home. He always comes back in and out just to check on us and he doesn't go very far. He will indeed beg to go outside now even when its nightime so you would have to deal with the begging to be allowed out! I have a routine which I think he gets, when he can go out I put his quick release collar on with bells and id and contact info, he has also been chipped, he then knows that he is going outside, and when its time to come in for the day, I take his collar off so he knows that he's in for night. All our situations are differentit does not boild down to 'i keep my cat indoors all the time therefore I love my cat more', its ignorance. Good luck with your kitty and whatever you decide

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I agree with Althekitty

Our cats have always been indoor/outdoor cats and where this is possible it is heaven for cats. They can meet up with the other cats in the neighbourhood for social contacts, hunt for mice or dragnonflys, climb trees or sit for hourers infron of a mole hill.

I understand that indoor/outdoor cats are not common in the USA, but it would be nice if there could be some tolerance towards those who would like to let their cats out - I normaly also don't go around telling you what your cat is missing by being an indoor cat only.

Zephyer- any chance you could extend the existing walls by adding an extra bit of fencing on the top which is angled inwards?

Christine

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind if people choose outside, but IMO it should only be under supervision - not allowing the cat to roam around and not knowing where he is or if/when he will come home.

My first cat was indoor/outdoor under supervision after a fight with a neighborhood cat. But all the rest have been 100% indoor. I think its safer.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. I could lock Alan up and never let him out and he might live a longer life being miserable scratching at the windows and doors crying desperatelyto have a cat life, not a life inconsistant to what nature intended dictated by humans and getting fat and having behavioural issues and depression. That is my opinion but I don't impose it and certainly never suggest that because people keep there cats in captivity that they don't love them.

I live in a safe area for cats and he loves the outdoors. The joy we have when he comes running up to us to purr by us in the garden, the way he climbs trees and catches mice and he's so proud. How he always comes home to us because he wants to, he choses to be with us, that is something that many on here will not experience. He is such a huge part of our life and I would never do anything to knowingly put him danger but I also won't restrict his quality of life just add a few years for him to wander about in a big cage.

Sorry to hijack your thread here zephyer78, Its just frustrating that it seems anyone who posts on this site about an outdoor cat seems to attract the judgemental 'you don't love your cat' comment. Ignorance I know but it is quite frustrating, it happens too often.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
althekitty--your statement was very judgemental and hurtful as well

"never let him out and he might live a longer life being miserable scratching at the windows and doors crying desperatelyto have a cat life, not a life inconsistant to what nature intended dictated by humans and getting fat and having behavioural issues and depression. That is my opinion but I don't impose it and certainly never suggest that because people keep there cats in captivity that they don't love them."

This statement absolutely suggested that I dont love my cat by keeping it in captivity.

My cats have a domestic cats life, they aren't fat, aren't depressed and have no behavioral issues. They don't scratch at the windows and doors crying to go out either. They both lived on the streets, they know what that life entails and they dont wanna go back there.

Leslie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have never sat at the windows trying to get out. And you may be lucky SO FAR your cat has come home. Maybe one day he won't - but you won't find out if he got hit by a car and was suffering before he died, or maybe a dog or other animal injuried him or even if kids caught him and set him on fire.

I understand some like their cats to go outside - that is fine; but do it under supervision at all times.

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

My cats have never sat at the windows trying to get out. And you may be lucky SO FAR your cat has come home. Maybe one day he won't - but you won't find out if he got hit by a car and was suffering before he died, or maybe a dog or other animal injuried him or even if kids caught him and set him on fire.
... and here we go with another hurtful statement

regards,

Christine

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry but I'm only telling you the truth of what could happen. If you feel its "hurtful", I'm sorry. But what I said is VERY real reality for many outside cats.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, we could all get hit by a car, maybe we should all just lock ourselves indoors. I wonder why we don't? Maybe its because we choose to have a life and to live it.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. I could lock Alan up and never let him out and he might live a longer life being miserable scratching at the windows and doors crying desperatelyto have a cat life, not a life inconsistant to what nature intended dictated by humans and getting fat and having behavioural issues and depression.
Wow, hey pot, meet kettle.

Sorry, I do live in the US where it truly is not safe to let a cat out, and I'm truly offended by the above statement.
To imply that a strictly indoor cat is miserable, or has behavioral issues or is fat, simply because it is indoors is just as judgmental toward indoor only advocates as those who are being judgmental towards those with indoor/outdoor.

Those that wish for tolerance should also practice a bit themselves.

I do not own any fat cats, nor do they cry to go out, they don't have any undesirable or destructive behaviors to themselves or their environs.

I do happen to agree with you that all situations are different, so I respectfully ask that you refrain from painting people with the same wide brush of generalization that you yourself have protested to.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Arlyn, I didn't mean to offend you. I am just trying to make a point that I have not, until now put a view across about indoor only cats because I have respected that everyone is trying to do the right thing for their cats to the best of their ability. Yet the constant negative comments of owners who allow their cats to go outside is unfair, hurtful, rude and ignorant too. If we ALL respected each others choices when only the best life for a cat is being strived for then it would all be fine, but that sadly does not seem to be the case. So, many people are quick to point out all the bad things about letting a cat outside, the 'you don't love your cat' rubbish, then I will throw in my opinions about all the obese, unhappy and crying cats that I read about on here. There are two sides to every coin, the ying and the yang, the positives versus the negatives. I think I have the responsibility to counter argue ignorant comments when I feel that they are unjust and making people who have a question or comment on this site about anything outdoors and they get negative comments and are made to feel like a bad cat owner. I of course understand that we all love our cats and honestly feel that we are all doing our best, but people in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones. Its not okay to be negative to people who let there cats out and yet play the 'hurt' card if anyone says anything negative about a permanently indoor cat.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, but those posters are in the minority on this site as most understand and respect that things are different across the pond, therefore, I was not playing the 'hurtcard' as you put it.
Those (most) that do strongly advocate indoor only are only speaking from personal experience, not making purposefully disrespectful jabs as yours seemed to be.

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

Arlyn, I didn't mean to offend you. I am just trying to make a point that I have not, until now put a view across about indoor only cats because I have respected that everyone is trying to do the right thing for their cats to the best of their ability. Yet the constant negative comments of owners who allow their cats to go outside is unfair, hurtful, rude and ignorant too. If we ALL respected each others choices when only the best life for a cat is being strived for then it would all be fine, but that sadly does not seem to be the case. So, many people are quick to point out all the bad things about letting a cat outside, the 'you don't love your cat' rubbish, then I will throw in my opinions about all the obese, unhappy and crying cats that I read about on here. There are two sides to every coin, the ying and the yang, the positives versus the negatives. I think I have the responsibility to counter argue ignorant comments when I feel that they are unjust and making people who have a question or comment on this site about anything outdoors and they get negative comments and are made to feel like a bad cat owner. I of course understand that we all love our cats and honestly feel that we are all doing our best, but people in glass houses really shouldn't throw stones. Its not okay to be negative to people who let there cats out and yet play the 'hurt' card if anyone says anything negative about a permanently indoor cat.
.. I'll second that

regards,

Christine

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I understand some like their cats to go outside - that is fine; but do it under supervision at all times.
Hi,

in my area the kids don't set cats or dogs on fire- if they do this in your area I can fully understand that you don't want to let your cats out.

christine