If I go missing

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been having some computer issues the last couple of days. For some reason my video monitor has lost it's drivers and I can't seem to get them installed again.

This has happened 2 other times in the last few months, but the previous times I was able to get the drivers reinstalled.

Also this time I started having trouble getting my computer to reboot. Took 10 minutes today.

Anyway, they are coming to look at it this afternoon. I don't know if it's something they can fix here, or if they have to take the machine back to their office. Just in case they need to take it back and wipe or replace the hard drive, I'm moving files to an external drive so I don't lose anything.

So if I go missing you will know why, but I will be back once my computer is back up and running again

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Thanks for letting us know Linda just incase we start worrying

Hope everything gets sorted soon
I always worry when I get used to seeing someone around online and they suddenly vanish without a word.

Originally Posted by jcat

that it's a quick fix!
Thanks!

The guy came. He thinks the video card may be failing. I told him that he can't reformat or take the machine away until I finish moving my graphic files from my hard drive to my external drive. I was in the middle of it when he showed up and had to stop the process. There is still about 20 or so gigs left to transfer.

I am going to take the computer in on Thursday morning before I go to work and hopeful pick it up on Saturday.

When I bought the computer in March 2007 I did purchase a 5 year extended warranty! Thank goodness! However, the problem now is that the company (Seanix) who supplied the computer components has gone out of business. Apparently someone has bought the company but they haven't gotten themselves up and running. The computer place I bought the computer from said that they will still honour my warranty because I did buy the computer through them. But they may have to do some work around using comparable computer parts instead of the brand that I have in now. Which is okay with me so long as my computer works and I'm not getting used or substandard replacements for whatever they have to replace.

I'm not really sure what he did. But my graphic card is actually sitting on my computer desk, not connected to anything at all. He apparently "integrated" it with my motherboard. Seems weird to me, but oh well!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm not really sure what he did. But my graphic card is actually sitting on my computer desk, not connected to anything at all. He apparently "integrated" it with my motherboard. Seems weird to me, but oh well!
He did one of two things. 1) he had an extra card he put in there, you'd have seen the card and should know if he did that
or 2) plenty of newer motherboards come with integrated graphics. Some are pretty good for general use (if you're not a gamer that needs the latest and greatest or doing cg vids/game development yourself). These motherboards also have a vga or pci express slot for an extra video card. You simply put the card in and select the proper jumper for it (or you can go through bios if it has those options).

It sounds to me that he did the second option. In which case, you don't have to even bother with an extra video card if you don't want to. I use integrated graphics for my pc and it's fine.

FYI sound cards are much the same, too. Some choose to add in an extra card and some people choose to use what is already on their board (usually relteck).

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I always worry when I get used to seeing someone around online and they suddenly vanish without a word.

Thanks!

The guy came. He thinks the video card may be failing. I told him that he can't reformat or take the machine away until I finish moving my graphic files from my hard drive to my external drive. I was in the middle of it when he showed up and had to stop the process. There is still about 20 or so gigs left to transfer.

I am going to take the computer in on Thursday morning before I go to work and hopeful pick it up on Saturday.

When I bought the computer in March 2007 I did purchase a 5 year extended warranty! Thank goodness! However, the problem now is that the company (Seanix) who supplied the computer components has gone out of business. Apparently someone has bought the company but they haven't gotten themselves up and running. The computer place I bought the computer from said that they will still honour my warranty because I did buy the computer through them. But they may have to do some work around using comparable computer parts instead of the brand that I have in now. Which is okay with me so long as my computer works and I'm not getting used or substandard replacements for whatever they have to replace.

Most likely he just used your integrated video. Today's mother boards have most components built in. you don't need to buy sound cards, network adapters, video cards etc because they're already there on the motherboard.

So he pulled your card and just used the built in card. It's not a problem to do.