My 5 year old daughter cut her hair

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has the most beautiful thick hair I have ever seen. She not only cut the bangs, she cut the top. Her hair was beautiful waist length ringlets.

I was so angry with her I left the room. I knew I would say something that couldn't be taken back. I have always told her if she wants it cut. I would take her to the hairdresser. I know it is only hair. It will grow back. I am so upset right now.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww. When I was young, I had very long hair too and I thought it would be fun to get a hair cut so I begged my mom to let me get it cut. I went from having knee-length hair to having a shoulder-length bob. I didn't cut it myself, but probably would have tried to if my mom didn't agree to let me get a hair cut. In retrospect, my long hair was much nicer!

It may not seem funny now, but maybe as time goes by and the hair grows out and your daughter grows up, it will be a silly memory that you can share together and even laugh about.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you're very upset right now and I would be too
I'm not trying to be funny but you might want to take a picture of her with her hair cut on because much later when she's older it will be a mother and daughter shared memory

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just yesterday, I got an emailed pic of my little great-niece who HAD the most beautiful long blond hair. Evidently, she thought that she needed a haircut, she is 4rs old.

I know that it will take awhile, but it Will grow back. Just like lil maggie said, a photo taken will turn into a cute memory.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most little girls go through a "I want to cut my hair" phase. Kudos to you for not making a scene. it is hair, it will grow back, and most other mommies will understand when you tell the story about how it was an experiment

I had a friend in college that was still couldn't forgive her mother for punishing her for doing the same thing...(FYI the punishment involved the permanent removal of a favorite toy and some very unkind words about how she was ugly with cut hair). I also have a cousin with very striking red hair...when he was two his 4 year old sister cut his hair out of jealousy...must be something about that age

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can you donate the hair to the Locks of Love program for cancer patients??

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry but when you look back on this you too will find it funny. Please do take pictures - you'll be glad you did.

I bet she'll look cute as a button once you get her to a hair salon and get it fixed nicely.

Our daughter did that as well except she also gave our long-haired black cat a haircut as well. I guess she figured they could be a matched set.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last summer, my six year old DD decided she wanted to be a hair stylist like her auntie, so she took out her round-tip school scissors and chopped off all of her very long hair (to less than an inch in some spots!). Not only that, but she did the same thing TO THE NEIGHBOR GIRL WHO WAS OVER PLAYING IN HER ROOM. So while I know you're upset, try to remember - it could be worse! And you WILL look back on it and laugh.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This happened to the daughter of a girl I was dating a few a years back, and my niece. They both chopped off each other's hair, and the long golden locks of the ex's daughter were gone. While I was pissed at my sister for not watching the two of them closer (especially with scissors), I didn't get the uproar over the hair itself. Making lemonade out of the situation, my mom was able to give her the cutest little bob that was absolutely gorgeous on her.

Epilogue: Of course, ex's being what they are, of course she couldn't tolerate her little barbie doll having short hair.

Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

Last summer, my six year old DD decided she wanted to be a hair stylist like her auntie, so she took out her round-tip school scissors and chopped off all of her very long hair (to less than an inch in some spots!). Not only that, but she did the same thing TO THE NEIGHBOR GIRL WHO WAS OVER PLAYING IN HER ROOM. So while I know you're upset, try to remember - it could be worse! And you WILL look back on it and laugh.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol i'm sorry but this is funny and cute, I don't understand why you're upset at all. It will just take a little change of hairstyles to fix it

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I DO understand why you are upset and I don't find it funny at all. My daughter was 4 when she took a great big pair of scissors and cut off her bangs nearly to the roots, along with shearing off a lot of her hair, making a complete mess of her head.

At that time, she was only allowed to use child safety scissors, so the fact that she had used large, very sharp shears was one of the reasons I was so angry at her. She had cut her forehead in the process.

The other was, of course, that she'd had gorgeous hair, and after her going at it, she looked like a street urchin that no one cared about.

I was so mad at her I yelled at her for 20 minutes straight and lost my voice as a result. I told her if she EVER did that again I would have her shaved completely bald - and I meant it!

Her hair grew back, my voice came back, and 21 years later, we can both laugh about it to a point, but it still makes me angry when I picture her that morning, holding the scissors in one hand and a big clump of her bangs in the other. AUUUUGGGHH!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not as upset as I was. The haircut is worse than I thought. She cut one inch stripe down the center of her head, to about 1/2 inch long. I am waiting for the hairdresser to open. I don't care whether she has long or short hair. I never have. I asked her why she didn't tell me she wanted her hair cut. She said " I can do it myself "
Little Miss independent

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I asked her why she didn't tell me she wanted her hair cut. She said " I can do it myself "
Little Miss independent
thats so cute

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

can you donate the hair to the Locks of Love program for cancer patients??
I think this is a great idea. The hair needs to be at least 10 inches long.

I can honestly say I never went through that stage as a child. I hated even letting people trim it so I've had long hair all of my life.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

At that time, she was only allowed to use child safety scissors, so the fact that she had used large, very sharp shears was one of the reasons I was so angry at her. She had cut her forehead in the process.
I think we can all understand that. I would be furious to find my 4 year old with a pair of shears! The hair on the other hand may have looked terrible but it does grow back and I'm glad that the two of you can laugh about it now. At least she didn't shave off an eyebrow!

Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I am not as upset as I was. The haircut is worse than I thought. She cut one inch stripe down the center of her head, to about 1/2 inch long. I am waiting for the hairdresser to open. I don't care whether she has long or short hair. I never have. I asked her why she didn't tell me she wanted her hair cut. She said " I can do it myself "
Little Miss independent
Aww... she has a reverse mowhawk!
I wonder how the hairdresser will "fix" that one!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just remembered...my daughter cut her hair and hid it in the couch. I'm a terrible mom; I didn't notice until I found the hair!

Make sure to take a photo to embarrass her in front of future boyfriends!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had hair down past my butt when I tried to give myself bangs at about age 7 or so. It was awful but I was able to wear barrettes in my hair until it grew out some so it wasn't really noticeable

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did this to my waist length hair when I was little and I hid the hair behind my bed thinking mom wouldn't notice. I got the scissors from my older sister, who also got in trouble for giving them to me. 18 years later, my mom still can't laugh about it. Oh well.

If it makes you feel any better, my hair grew back and is long, curly and pretty now!

Good luck with the hairdresser!

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I totally did the same thing when I was 4 or 5, with the assistance of my good friend Shelley. She also had her hair done, and we were quite proud of our work until our moms found out....Even then, I didnt really understand what the problem was, as it was *my* hair and I thought I did a fine job