HELP! How do I do work at home with cats around????

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok... I am a definite LOSER for admitting this...
I'm hoping I am not the only loser here.

I am having a HARD time doing any work at home!! Here's my situation..

I would pull my work laptop onto my lap and get ready to start working. Heidi (FAT lovable cat) would come jump up and push her way onto my lap in between my chest and lap. I'd end up moving the laptop to my right side which means I'd be sitting up with my upper body turned to the right while I type awkwardly. Tango would come swaggering over to my right side, dig at my blanket hinting that I need to lift the blanket then he'd get under the blanket. He'd proceed to curl up plastered to my right side. At this point, I have no place to put the laptop. If I put the laptop on my lap, then I'd be disturbing her majesty (Heidi). If I put the laptop down on the couch next to me, then I'd be disturbing HIS majesty (Tango). I'd try putting the laptop on my CHEST which means I'd be hunched up typing HIGH and awkwardly. Sometimes Buddy would come and curl up on my chest. At that point, I'll give up and put the laptop away.

I've tried working at the counter, on the desk and cats will find a way to infere with my work by sleeping on my back, on top of the laptop keyboard, on my hands, or headbutting my head constantly and blocking my view.

The problem now I am facing is I am soooo behind at work!!!! I really need to do work at home so I can catch up on work. What can I do besides offending my cats?!

Pls tell me I'm not the only one who's ruled by cats at home and can't do any work at home?!

Enuff whining. I'll get back to work and continue to type awkwardly at the laptop perched on my chest.

Would love to hear your comments/advice about this!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The homework years are way behind me but trying to read a good novel is near impossible. I always have to wait till Maggie is sleeping and quick yank out my book. It doesn't last long though and I have a cat wanting some attention. I think she hears the pages turning and like a can opener, it's her cue to come running. The part of my problem is .... I like to lay on the bed to read and that's an instant invitation for kitty rubdowns.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They'll live.
Shut the door, put on headphones to block out meowing etc. and get some work done! My sister worked from home and sometimes was on the phone with clients when she'd get a claw in her back.
THAT was not fun.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both my Husband and I have our studios out of our house. Lilly stays with my husband in his "office" all day - usually on his desk next to his laptop (because it's warm). Yes, occasionally she is very annoying and demands attention but over time she's realized that if she wants to be in there with him she has to behave or he makes her get off his desk.

Forrest and Zachary hang out in my studio with me. I have a large cat tree, tall sisal scratching post, slant scratcher, large couch and lots of cat toys. They occasionally will sit on the back of my chair or on my lap but usually they are good and don't bother me too much since there is a large piano keyboard across the top of my desk there is no room for a cat. The computer monitors in both our studios are large and up high off the desk so the cats cannot get in front of them.

The main problem we have had is that Forrest has learned that if he want's attention all he has to do is put a paw on the acoustic foam which covers our walls and start to scratch. ARGHHH...he really knows how to get my attention. I have an empty pint paint can filled with coins that I shake loudly if he starts with the scratching. He HATES it. Now, all I have to do is pick up the can and he'll stop. It's been the best training aid ever.

Over time our cats have learned what they can, and cannot do. It just takes time, patience and consistency in training them - and not let them try to train you.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I have to shut the kitties out of the studio or office when I'm working. Fortunately, none of them are really vocal cats. They'll paw or jump at the door, but they don't make enough noise to bother me. Of course, I can't leave any work out to finish later because the second I open the door they're all back in exploring. . . and looking for any loose piece of paper they can shred.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Binky is an old fashioned kitty. A good news paper pile will keep her off the key bord.
good luck.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As was mentioned before, you may have to put a door. between you and the brats. I know you are deaf so at least you won't be bothered by their wailing/meowing for attention.

They may dump another plant, but at least you won't know about it until you finish your work.

(Pamela's kitties dumped her plants a couple of years ago. She posted pics. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97886 Post #8.
)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

As was mentioned before, you may have to put a door. between you and the brats. I know you are deaf so at least you won't be bothered by their wailing/meowing for attention.
If you have carpeting, though, you may end up with shredded carpet as they dig under the door trying to get in, which is what our little brats do when we try to exclude them.

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

If you have carpeting, though, you may end up with shredded carpet as they dig under the door trying to get in, which is what our little brats do when we try to exclude them.
This is EXACTLY what all mine do. It's easier to teach them to behave while in the office than to stop them ripping up the carpet outside the door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

They'll live.
Shut the door, put on headphones to block out meowing etc. and get some work done! My sister worked from home and sometimes was on the phone with clients when she'd get a claw in her back.
THAT was not fun.
HEHEH... Unfortunately, right now, I live in my parents' basement (saving money to buy a home) so the floorplan is pretty much open. The only rooms with doors are my bedroom and bathroom.

Originally Posted by gemlady

They may dump another plant, but at least you won't know about it until you finish your work.

(Pamela's kitties dumped her plants a couple of years ago. She posted pics. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97886 Post #8.
)
LOL!! I have NO PLANTS at home now!! I don't trust my cats one inch with plants.

Originally Posted by Misty8723

Yep-that's one reason why I don't close myself off from cats much cuz I don't want them ruining the carpet...

Guess I'm a loser but I love my cats anyway.