Found ELASTIC BAND in Meow Mix Market Select !!

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was opening up a little cup of Meow Mix Market Select this morning (real tuna & whole shrimp in sauce) and as I spooned it into the food bowl and spread it around, I noticed something strange in it..........and to my disgust and shock, it was an ELASTIC BAND........with what appeared to be HUMAN HAIR stuck in it. I took a fork and looked through the food to see if there was anything else, there wasn't, I flushed it down the toilet. I am appalled. What if I had not found it and my cat(s) ate it?

I took some pictures.

What should I do? I'm here in Canada. Who should I be reporting this to, other than whoever makes Meow Mix? I fear they'll just try to hush this up.

I still have the box I this cup is from (so I have the UPC code of the entire box).

Has anyone else had this happen? I am furious and thoroughly disgusted. See attached pics.

Thanks

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you have the pictures for proof, though you probably should have saved the hair band, too... or at the very least not flushed it down your toilet. (lets hope you have no plumbing issues)

Humans make the pet food, and though the factories require hair to be tied up accidents obviously happen. Contact the company, they should discuss this with their processing and packaging crews. Chances are processing has to wear hair nets so it might have happened in packaging - which could be solved/helped by making them wear hair nets, too.

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness that's so gross! And it's such a small band too, I'm glad you found it, your cat may have swallowed it. I would follow the previous post's advice. Contact the company and send the pictures along. Accidents do happen, it's a good reminder for everyone to carefully look through the food before we serve it to our pets.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You should have kept the hairband and sent it directly to the company. That's pretty nasty!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have sent the elastic along with a firm letter of disgust to the company. Since you don't have the elastic, definately still either call, email or snail mail the company.

Do they have their customer service number listed on the box or can?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by the_food_lady

I never found a hair band? ....just an elastic (rubber) band WITH hair attached to it.
That's a hair band. You can still buy them over in the hair section of any store. Some people haven't realized yet that rubber bands can damage hair and usually do pull some out when they're removed (hence why there was hair wrapped around it).

So yes, that's a hair band and it came out of someone's hair.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely send a letter of complaint with those photos. I'm hoping that you still have the container somewhere as they'll probably ask for the numbers from the package for them to track the batch. Fortunately, you caught it before kitty swallowed it, but you could still ask for compensation (i.e. coupons for free food). I usually mix up all my cats food in a dish; if anything looked suspect I'd catch it before it's too late.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

Absolutely send a letter of complaint with those photos. I'm hoping that you still have the container somewhere as they'll probably ask for the numbers from the package for them to track the batch. Fortunately, you caught it before kitty swallowed it, but you could still ask for compensation (i.e. coupons for free food). I usually mix up all my cats food in a dish; if anything looked suspect I'd catch it before it's too late.
I would be writing a letter or an e-mail with the pictures of the elastic.