New Mommy and kittens coming tomorrow!!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just got a call from our shelter, and we're getting some kitties, all oranges, from the shelter!! They're 3-4 weeks old and there's 4 or 5 kittens,(they're coming from an other shelter, and there was two litters, they couldn't remember which had 4 and which had 5

I'm sooo excited!!
Any advice?
Just wanted to let you know, I'll get pics up when I get them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

So your getting momma and babies?
Yup, Momma and 3-4 week old kitties

My friend is getting the other litter, so we're both sooo excited!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is the momma dumped tame homecats, or is she shy semiferal?

She semiferal mommyies arent at all especially difficult, but you must of course be double careful and not stressing them.

Thus, no stressing, a nest where they can be in peace and such, is most important for moms with kittens.

Are they vet checked up? Dewormed? Or do you must have them in a quarantene?

Do you have home cats, dogs, children??
A friendly home cat or dog may be a good help, but wait with it till the mom feels safe and confident.

It usually goes very well, and is also much fun for the fosterers.

Good luck!

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh gracious! I know you and your friend will have a blast. It's better than having children at the same time,
. Just set momma and babies up in a quiet and safe place with lots of soft blankets and take it slowly. Depending on how momma is, it would probably be best for you to very slowly gain momma's trust before you start taking kittens and making gaga noises to them, lol. Even though they are older, you wouldn't mom getting stressed thus not taking care of the babies as she should. Hopefully everything goes splendidly and momma and babies are friendly, healthy little house guests. Be sure and keep us updated and post some baby (and momma) pics!! I'm so excited for you!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Post some pictures as soon as you can.
Are you fostering, or are these going to be permanent members of your household?

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Post some pictures as soon as you can.
Are you fostering, or are these going to be permanent members of your household?
I'll be sure to keep you updated and with pics

These guys are just foster guys, so not permanant
Thanks for the replies!
I'll tell you when I get them tomorrow!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they just got here a minute ago!
They look around 3 weeks old, and there's 5 of them. They're all a light ginger/creamish colour, and REALLY cute!
Only problem is that Momma's very shy. She hid in the corner as soon as they got here, and she keeps making growling sounds at us- she doesn't seem like she'd hurt us, as she let me pet her, but just very timid- she also didn't mind us holding kittens, so thats good.
Any advice? Pics will come ASAP

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have a box or basket or crate for the kittens? Put mom and babies in a room with her food, water, and litter box. Close the door so the other cats (sorry, I don't remember how many you have) can't get to her and just leave her alone for a while. She needs to feel safe with her babies. Once she stops hiding from you, start leaving the door open and let her come out on her own.

Don't forget the pictures.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Like said earlier. Make sure she is unstressed.
Be very demonstrative you are careful and easy when you handle her kittens too...
She do have a nest? An sideturned cardboard box can be good for a possiblility to hide a little.

Dont look directly at her, look a little at the side of her.
You may look at her halfclosing your eyes.
Do yawn.
Standing on all four, strech yourself backwards or forwards - everything like friendly cats do meeting a pal.

ps. If she is a dumped tame homecat, it isnt nothing unusual if she is a shy in the beginning. It is entirely normal and even sound behavior.

But if she is a semiferal, her behavior of letting you pet her and handle her isnt because she is practically tame. It is a strategy to survive, herself and above everything, her kittens: she will do almost everything to help the kittens through....
So it is important not do overdo this... And be sure you show her you do understand her needs.
Although your work is of course much easier then with a agressive mom...

- Of course, really aggressive semiferals are practically never taken in. And in these rare cases, never send to inexperienced fosterers. Not by a good shelter/rescue organization.

As long she understands you are hers and her kittens best practical chance, she will cooperate and try to copy with the situation. She will even accept the kittens will be fostered as homecats. Your shouldnt have any big troubles, as long you are careful and respectful to her.

Good luck!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies!
Yes, she's in here own room with a nest in a box under a table so she feels like she has privacy...
She will be staying in her own room for her whole stay, so my cat won't be interacting with them, especially since my kitty goes outside alot in the summer (and yup, she's spayed!
).
Thanks for the tips StephanZ and GoldyCat!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, ya, I want to get pics, but will that stress out Momma too much?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If you have a camera with a zoom lens and don't use flash, it should be fine. Set it for a high ISO to work in low light, and you can stay back from the kitty family. You may not get the best pictures, but you can at least try. If she starts getting agitated, then stop.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

If you have a camera with a zoom lens and don't use flash, it should be fine. Set it for a high ISO to work in low light, and you can stay back from the kitty family. You may not get the best pictures, but you can at least try. If she starts getting agitated, then stop.
Okay, thanks

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

how exiting! And it sounds like the little ones have nice colours, too. Good luck that your mom will clam down after a few days when she's reaized that you're actually kind of OK

These kittens will be really easily re-homed once they have been socialized by you and are people friendly. Not to worry if you don't want to stress mommy with taking pictures, I'm sure you'll get around to taking some fairly soon.

regards,

christine

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cjh27

Hi,

how exiting! And it sounds like the little ones have nice colours, too. Good luck that your mom will clam down after a few days when she's reaized that you're actually kind of OK

These kittens will be really easily re-homed once they have been socialized by you and are people friendly. Not to worry if you don't want to stress mommy with taking pictures, I'm sure you'll get around to taking some fairly soon.

regards,

christine
Hello!

Yes, I do hope Mom will come through, not just now, but for later when she goes back to the shelter
I want her to get adopted too...
I've got pics up too on a new tread if you want to see them