Bellatrix and her huge bump!

bellatrix lecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello to everyone! I am brand new, I have been reading the forum for a few weeks and decided to join as it seems very helpful and everyong seems lovely! The pictures below ( hopefully) are of my Bellatrix lecat who by my reckoning is 8 1/2 to 9 weeks pregnant (this is her second litter, she is 2 1/2 now and had her first at 11 1/2 months and had 6! All healthy and well cared for.....she is a fab momma cat!!)
She is much larger than last time and the kittens have been moving like mad for the past 2 weeks.....thought she was nearer to 9 weeks but nothing has happened yet!! she is still eating loads and has only just started hanging out in her cupboard ( where she nested with the 1st lot) today. she is not showing any other signs of being close but with the first litter I went to bed at 1.45am she was fine woke up at 7.45am and she was in the cupboard nursing 6 clean dry kittys!
I don't know how second pregnancys compare in cats, she has put on 4lbs since " pinking up" ( can't date exactly from this as it happened whilst a neighbour was feeding her as we were away!!)
What kind of litter size should i be expecting? is there any connection between weight gain and litter size?
would love to hear any advice/opinions/feedback.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellatrix lecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh it won't let me post photos! ooops

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can see them, and she does, indeed, look as if she swallowed a basketball!

Or at least a football.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow! She's holding several in there for sure! My cat was massive last year and had a litter of 8...first litter too! I would expect nothing less than 6 for your Momma gauging her size. She looks content though!

bellatrix lecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is very content, she seems to be happiest when she's pregnant or has kittens very natural momma!
Thanks for the estimate...think you are probably right the way they kick and fling around there feels like a fair few!!!

tigger_2801

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We thought Delilah was having loads (we could hardly see her back legs at the end) but it was only 4 rather large (we think) kittens and a lot more goo than I've ever seen before.

Vicky

bellatrix lecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I am wondering though since she is bigger than the first time when she had 6 if it would be possible to have less?? Just measured her around her widest part and it was 21 1/2 inchs..... about the same as my 8 year old daughters waist!!!!!
hoping they appear soon!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, she's pretty big- they should be here any time now...
My guess...hmmm....6-7 kittens!

Since last time she didn't show signs, I guess you'll have a surprise!

She's really pretty- I love her name too
I assume you're a HP fan too?haha...
Keep us updated!!

bellatrix lecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks she is a beautiful cat, in teprement and looks, extremely lucky with her.....Having said that she nipped my hand earlier, but then again if i had the strain she has on me and multipul babies jumping around I may be a bit stroppy!!!!
Cutekittenkat...I am a huge Harry Potter fan, as is my daughter in fact she has suggested sticking with the theme and naming the kittens after HP charecters! We are not keeping all of them definetly 1 but we learnt from last time how confusing it gets refering to them as " that one with the white spot....no the other one....no the other one......" lol

I will post pictures as soon as she has them.....soon I hope!!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bellatrix lecat

thanks she is a beautiful cat, in teprement and looks, extremely lucky with her.....Having said that she nipped my hand earlier, but then again if i had the strain she has on me and multipul babies jumping around I may be a bit stroppy!!!!
Cutekittenkat...I am a huge Harry Potter fan, as is my daughter in fact she has suggested sticking with the theme and naming the kittens after HP charecters! We are not keeping all of them definetly 1 but we learnt from last time how confusing it gets refering to them as " that one with the white spot....no the other one....no the other one......" lol

I will post pictures as soon as she has them.....soon I hope!!
Ohhh, you should name the biggest one Hagrid, and the smallest Dobby!Hahahahaha

bellatrix lecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
good idea!! I wish we'd thought of that last time she had a gorgeous little boy with big ears and huge eyes....would have made a perfect Dobby!
Still no kittens.....am hoping tonight is the night, Again!!!!

Gave her Belly a trim today as it was very fluffy and although her nipples are huge the hair was gonna get in the way....she was great i think she knew i was helping, she grabbed my hand with the pads of her paws at first but after that she rolled onto her back and stayed there with her paws stretched upright in the perfect position till i was done!!! bless her! she looks so uncomfatable now. really feel for her although she seems to be taking it in her stride!!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bellatrix lecat

good idea!! I wish we'd thought of that last time she had a gorgeous little boy with big ears and huge eyes....would have made a perfect Dobby!
Still no kittens.....am hoping tonight is the night, Again!!!!

Gave her Belly a trim today as it was very fluffy and although her nipples are huge the hair was gonna get in the way....she was great i think she knew i was helping, she grabbed my hand with the pads of her paws at first but after that she rolled onto her back and stayed there with her paws stretched upright in the perfect position till i was done!!! bless her! she looks so uncomfatable now. really feel for her although she seems to be taking it in her stride!!
Haha, that would be funny

for Bellatrix to have them soon!

bellatrix lecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! she seems to be hanging on to them for dear life now!! I think she remembers last time ( it was enough to put me off.....1 child aged 8!!!)
She is still eating like a pig....600 grms of wet cat food plus nibbling on cat biscuits, chicken, tuna every day!
I noticed yesterday she smells different....not bad just a whiff of a sort of musty-ish smell that i noticed last time as soon as she had the kittens, is it possible this is the scent she has been depositing for them, last time her cupboard stank of it, i thought it was just the "birth smell" but maybe this time she's better prepared?? Her milk seems to be there just not in her nipples, it feels fuller along what must be the ducts.
Also her Urine smells more of amonia the past few days, she isn't dehydrated as she is doing PLENY of it but i she is eating more wet catfood than before and i changed to one that was on offer ( believe me the rate she is eating I need to shop sensibly!!!) it is a fishy one rather than meaty could this be responsible??
I seem to remember Having a similar problem with my neutered male Ozzy....who is no longer with us
at one period in time and as he was up to date with jabs ( as she is) and neutered we deduced the food was tio blame and put him on a more Dry food diet which helped. Is it likely to be the same thing or could it be a pregnancy related issue? reluctant to switch her to solo dry food mainly for nutrition

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, if she has the same kind of "birthy" smell to her, then I'd say you've got less than 24 hours!!
(I'm not sure though)
for Bellatrix!