New mom trying to hurt babies PLZ HELP!!!!!

british244

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My queen had 4 kittens today , She keeps randomly hurting them by hurting i mean she bites them and gets really mean like she is trying to kill them ???????? PLEASE help what can i do ???? I fear that she is really trying to get rid of them but why ????????

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How old is she? Is this her first litter? Do babies look healthy? Are they trying to nurse, good temperature, no obvious discharge from nose or mouth?

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you're sure she's really hurting them, like making them squeal?
If so, you may end up having to bottle feed them with KMR milk replacer, but be sure she's really hurting them. I would call your vet, or an on call vet first for advice before you take them away, because Mom may reject them after you start them on KMR. If you do take them away from mom, they would need to be kept warm by a hot water bottle, but not too hot, and bottle fed every 2 hours(even at night), then stimulated to go to the bathroom by imitating moms tongue with a warm wash cloth.
I hope everything turns out alright

You've had a very busy, stressful day...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

british244

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she is 1 and her first litter , the kittens are perfectly healthy and nursing gr8 , she just seems to randomly grab one and bite it so hard its squeals and then she gets really mean with it to the point have to stop her , she seems to accually attack the if they whimper or whine ??? how can i be sure she wont kill them i am so worried i wont leave her side

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BRITISH244

she is 1 and her first litter , the kittens are perfectly healthy and nursing gr8 , she just seems to randomly grab one and bite it so hard its squeals and then she gets really mean with it to the point have to stop her , she seems to accually attack the if they whimper or whine ??? how can i be sure she wont kill them i am so worried i wont leave her side
Sometimes with first litters, moms simply don't know what to do. But if she's letting them nurse that's a good sign. Where is she grabbing them? She may be just trying to reposition everybody and is a little too harsh with it. Is she being nurturing at all? Starting to bathe them? Has she tried to leave them at all? I think she's probably just a little confused. I would say just keep watching her and let her get used to it. Kittens are incredibly resilient to what we as humans see as mom being mean. It's really hard to say though.... I think calling your vet and asking for some advice is definitely in order.

british244

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she is being very nurshering and letting them all nurse , she is licking them and seems to love them very much , she bites them all over but seems she only does it when one starts crying im thinking she is just a lil confused about what to do when they cry and gets worried about it . i am going to stay very close to her all night just in case , if there is no change in the harshness of it i will be calling my vet asap . i think she just needs to get used to them as majority of the time she is being a wonderful mommy

british244

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh and she has not attempted to leave them yet last one was born at 3:30 and it is now almost 9:00

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear she is showing some nurturing mommy behaviors! I think they'll be okay. Like you said, she needs time. Imagine suddenly having four tiny screaming things trying to suck on you! I'd be a little confused too,
. Best of luck and hope the night goes well. You try and get some sleep meowmy!!

british244

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for the support
she is resting well right now i will post tomorrow on her progress

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps it may help a little to talk soothingly to her in such moments when she is going to be rough? It may take down the aggressions.

In any case, when our boys, father and son, are getting tense at each other, it usually helps to talk them soothingly down

"kitties, be now good pals as you usually are! take it easy" etc...

Feliway diffuser may also be a help.

I hope it will be well. As she didnt really hurt them yet (cats can BITE if they want, as you surely know), it should be better and better.

Good luck!

british244

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes i tried talking her through it and it seemed to calm her :-) She seems to be ok with them now no aggresion / confusion in last couple hours :-) im so very proud of her , still going to keep watch through the night though just incase but seems to me she has figured things out now and is handling them much much better now
i think all she needed was time to figure out what she was ment to be doing and how she was supposed to be doing it

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I missed alot there, but I'm glad everything is alright now
...it was probably just because she is a new Mom getting used to everything, and she was probably trying to adjust them when they cried.
Glad to hear everythings good with your babies...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, scared and confused and make these mewling, crying things quiet down. Some of it could also be instinct since crying kittens attract predators. A quiet kitten is a safe kitten.

Glad that she is calming down a bit now.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've known some human parents who felt much the same way about their "kittens."