Albino/partial albino sunflower seedling?

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Found this among hundreds of other sunflower seedlings. It has been in full sun for days and still remains yellowish-white and small. It's seed was almost pure white aswell, normal seed is white with black stripes. Other seedling (green) is what all the rest look like. I'm hoping it has a chance to grow if it's partial albino.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My assumption would be that in the absence of the green chlorophyll an albino plant would find it difficult to grow to its full potential...

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

My assumption would be that in the absence of the green chlorophyll an albino plant would find it difficult to grow to its full potential...
I concur except for several years now I have one of my hosta plants that emerges every year with very pale yellow leaves that eventually turn a paler green in the growing season. There are plants in cultivation with yellow/white leaves they just don't thrive as well.

Hope it continues growing for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's a partial albino (meaning gets some green), it could live. Only full albino plants cant produce any food and eventually die, or, stay really small.

I know if you graft a green leaf to an albino plant, it will live because the green leaf provides it with chloraphyll, I dont know how to though. Here is a link with pictures of someone who did.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...e=figure&id=F1

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...e=figure&id=F2

It was pretty amazing to find an albino plant anyway, i'll just have to wait and see what happens!