Experiences feeding California Natural Chicken and Rice Dry

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there -
As you might know, Bugsy has had an array of health problems, including URIs, Acute Colitis, Immune Gingivitis, Ear infection, eye infection, and he also has a sensitive GI tract.
He is mostly healthy now, and Holistic Solution has been of great help for his digestive system, but because of all these problems, I want to rule out allergens from his food. I intend to continue to give him HS.

Anyway: I was wondering about members experiences with California Naturals Chicken and Rice formula - I am thinking this is my best bet as far as dry food for him. He is currently on a mix of 1/3 Holistic Selects, and 2/3 Orijen. Below are the ingredients:

California Natural Chicken and Rice

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Chicken Fat, Sunflower Oil, Flaxseed, Chelated Vitamins/Minerals

Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
good food but no one will eat the dry( dog or cat)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
If you want to rule out allergens, best bet would be venison/Green pea or duck and green pea, either Royal canin or Natural Balance.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

If you want to rule out allergens, best bet would be venison/Green pea or duck and green pea, either Royal canin or Natural Balance.
it really is a toss up as peas are common in no grains and just as likely as chicken to cause an allergy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

The problem with Natural Balance is that I also want to add some grain into his diet; Royal Canin has grains, but also has a lot of corn, which I want to stay away from.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

The problem with Natural Balance is that I also want to add some grain into his diet; Royal Canin has grains, but also has a lot of corn, which I want to stay away from.
royal canin has RX of duck and venison if memory serves

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At my house 7 out of 7 prefer the Calif Nat Chicken and Rice. I mix a rotation of other brands in, keeping the Cal Nat the same. They will pick the Cal Nat out and leave the other brands til later. They also get wet food 2 times a day and the dry is out especially for my one that is a dry eater only.

All cats reserve the right to be picky.
Might be good to try a small bag first and see how it goes.

One of mine had problems with loose stools and they are now gone after adding Cal Nat. Hope things go well.

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I switched Bodhi & Siddha to California Natural about 2 months ago when Siddha was continually having soft/runny poops and because I wanted an all life-stages food. They both transitioned fine and ate it just fine, and Siddha's poop firmed up nicely. However, Bodhi started having constipation issues I'm assuming because he is older and the CN has much lower fiber than what he was eating prior to CN.

Another good thing about CN that I liked is that it is very reasonably priced.
I'm going to try to transition them both to another food in hopes that Siddha's issues will have resolved and that Bodhi will stop being constipated. We'll see how it goes.

I hope you find Bugsy something that helps him feel better! He's too beautiful to be sick!

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
CN is what I feed my IBD kitty as she needs to have food available at all times, otherwise she gets nauseous if she goes too long without eating. She eats it just fine although she does have her picky moments, but that's true with all foods and IBD cats. Initially I thought this made her have terrible diarrhea so I stopped feeding it. Then I decided to try adding it back in after a two-month break and now she has normal stool, so I think the first time was just a coincidence.

I chose this food for her because it has the most simplistic ingredient list of all the dry's I have found. I prefer her on a no-grain diet, but the rice seems to work fine for her.