Hi - new member - naughty kittie!

catmadkate

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I've just joined the forum and thought I'd introduce myself and my kittie Sootie. I'm nearly 25 and live in the south of England with my other half and cat. She is nearly 4 and the sweetest thing ever (I'll post a photo as soon as I find a good one). She's almost entirely black with three white hairs on her chest - quite long haired but not hugely - sort of in between
Quite small (about 3 kilos) and loves to follow my husband or me around the house (to the extent of going with us to the bathroom). She is out a lot more now that the weather is getting nicer and making the most of hunting the local birds etc (although rarely bringing in much more than a woodlouse thankfully). She is quite pesky though and has a habit of biting. It seems rarely to be meant to be nasty but it's like she doesn't get that it actually hurts so I have permanent bit miarks on my hands! I try to follow the advice of pulling away gently, watching out for wagging tails etc but to little avail. Any one else have the same problem? I love her to bits but it is a pain nonetheless.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do a bit of searching around here, and you'll find a number of threads on the subject. At her age, it's going to be hard to break her of it.

By the way, did you know the small area of white hairs is sometimes called an "angel's touch?" Back when people believed that black cats were witches' familiars, it was also believed that the cat had to be purely black; no white hairs at all. So some believed that an angel would come and touch any black kitten, producing a few white hairs, to keep the kitten from being used in the devil's work.

In actual fact, often the white hairs are growing from some minor injury scar.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. I've moved your thread to the behavior forum so you can get some advice on her biting habit.

I personally found that if I hissed at them when they bit me or yowled in pain, they eventually came to the realization that I didn't like that behavior.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi and welcome to both you and Sootie!
I also train my kitty for any bad behavior with a quick hiss and it works well. It also works on my dog too

Originally Posted by mrblanche

Do a bit of searching around here, and you'll find a number of threads on the subject. At her age, it's going to be hard to break her of it.

By the way, did you know the small area of white hairs is sometimes called an "angel's touch?" Back when people believed that black cats were witches' familiars, it was also believed that the cat had to be purely black; no white hairs at all. So some believed that an angel would come and touch any black kitten, producing a few white hairs, to keep the kitten from being used in the devil's work.

In actual fact, often the white hairs are growing from some minor injury scar.
How cool! I never knew that! I use to have a big black short hair kitty with a few white hairs on her chest between her front two legs