cutting nails

stubbys mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never cut my cats nails before. My new kitten, approx 6 months, keeps getting her claws stuck in the cat condos as she jumos back and forth. I yelped for her as I watched her twisting her paw tryong to loosen the nail today. How do I cut her nails, can i use my pups clippers. I am scared to death to cut my pups as I always catch the vein and see bllod adn then I freak.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a ton of people here more knowledgable than me but I would suggest you take your kitty to a groomer or vet for first time nail trimming and let them show you how to do it

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since it's a kitten, you need clippers that are a bit smaller. The best way to start is by playing with your kitten's feet and claws. Wear her out with some intensive playing and do this while she's sleepy/in a snuggly mood.

Look at her claws. You'll see a lighter clear/white part and then a pink part. Look at your own nails - what happens if you trim them down too fair and cut into the skin and part under the grown out nail? It hurts and will bleed - it's the same for a cat.
If you've been trimming your puppy's claws and catching the quicks it means you need to back off a bit on how much you're taking off. Maybe this could be from you misjudging how close to the quick you are or because of the clippers making it more difficult for you to see (something you need to figure out and correct).
With cats it's a bit easier to see their quicks because of how thin their claws are. Stay away from the quick and just take the very tips off for your first trimming.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The dog clippers are probably too big for a kitten. You can try using regular people nail clippers, but just take the very tip of the claw. I found that the nail clippers tended to crush the claws instead of cutting. I use a very sharp scissor-type clipper that looks like this. It's smaller than the dog clippers even though it looks about the same. When you start clipping, take just the tip off at first. Each time you clip you'll be able to cut back a little further until you're getting nice short nails.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also use human nail clippers but I cut from the side to prevent the splitting. If you cut from top to bottom the claw seems to crunch and split but if you cut side to side it will be a lot cleaner cut.

Sit on the floor and hold your kitten with it's back against your tummy and one arm around his middle. With the arm around his middle, use that hand to hold the paw and push out the claw then clip quickly with the other hand. You may find it a bit awkward at first, but once you do it a couple times it gets much easier and quicker. At first you may only be able to do one or two claws at a time so it may take a few days to get all the claws done.

If you are nervous, get it done at the vet or a groomers and have them show you how. As the above poster says, try to refine your dog clipping as well.

canaws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The easiest way for me is to burrito wrap her in a towel or small blanket and cut one paw at a time with cat nail scissors similar to these: http://www.petco.com/product/10274/J...t=OnSiteSearch. I've tried regular people scissors and people nail clippers before, but I feel much safer using these the cat nail scissors.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I also use human nail clippers but I cut from the side to prevent the splitting. If you cut from top to bottom the claw seems to crunch and split but if you cut side to side it will be a lot cleaner cut.

Sit on the floor and hold your kitten with it's back against your tummy and one arm around his middle. With the arm around his middle, use that hand to hold the paw and push out the claw then clip quickly with the other hand. You may find it a bit awkward at first, but once you do it a couple times it gets much easier and quicker. At first you may only be able to do one or two claws at a time so it may take a few days to get all the claws done.

If you are nervous, get it done at the vet or a groomers and have them show you how. As the above poster says, try to refine your dog clipping as well.

My vet uses the human kind ... I use a small dog on the cats

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the little cat clippers -- use that on my rescue babies. Easier to maneuver, makes a more clean cut than a human nail clipper and you can go faster - also less likely IMO to nip the quick of the nail.

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

You can use people nail clippers, I use dog clippers in a small size. There are several website with directions, like this one http://www.cat-world.com.au/catclaws.htm
Thank you for that link. I didn't know you could use human nail clipper, I am going to try that. Should be easier than the dumb clipper they sell for cats.

I trimmed two of Mercedes nails and she hissed at me.

She is a very bossy cat.

I am going to try human nail cippers.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ckblv

Thank you for that link. I didn't know you could use human nail clipper, I am going to try that. Should be easier than the dumb clipper they sell for cats.

I trimmed two of Mercedes nails and she hissed at me.

She is a very bossy cat.

I am going to try human nail cippers.
You must not have ventured out of IMO as much until recently (nice seeing you out and about).
Do the clippers you have make a springy sound when they open? I used to have to clip dog claws and even I hated the sound that style of clipper made - so did the dogs and cats.

Try bribing Mercedes with some tasty treats.

I have one that hates me messing with his paws. I think all the fluff between his toes make them extra sensitive. But by going slow and using treats I've worked up to being able to do about a paw to seven claws in one sitting.