Friend's sick cat pictures

dogstar5988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I friend of mine has a cat that has been in pretty bad shape for a few months now. The cat has a lot of scab-type things all over her face and body. She used to have a little dog that used to go after the cat so she thought the scabs where from the dog, but she got rid of the dog and she has only gotten worse. After I recent visit I noticed that the cat hasn't gotten any better so I offered to take the cat to the vet that I've used for years and trust (because she lives in a small town with a crappy vet). Here are some pictures of how she looks (sorry some are blurry). If you have any ideas on what the problem could be that would be great. I would like to get some sort of idea before I take her in, in a few days.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of possibilities, including parasites/fleas and food allergies. Is the kitty on any kind of flea preventative? What does she eat?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

There are a lot of possibilities, including parasites/fleas and food allergies. Is the kitty on any kind of flea preventative? What does she eat?
plus acne, dryskin, environmental allergies, ringworm, herpes all leave lesions as well. But I've not heard of acne on the body, and also thought herpes sores usually appear on the face.

Kizzy's had ringworm, but the pics don't look like what he had.... he also had dry skin sores (the hair would try to grow and end up grown under the dry skin scaling and make a sore....I had to fluff up the hair and remove the dry scab like things then he was fine...

Sorry, I don't think anyone will be able to offer a suggestion because there are so many different possibilities.

I hope it goes well at the vet, please post an update when you know what it is.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

plus acne, dryskin, environmental allergies, ringworm, herpes all leave lesions as well. But I've not heard of acne on the body, and also thought herpes sores usually appear on the face.
these look exactly like Pixel's herpes sores. during her first flare-up, she also got them on her front legs [the ones she uses to wash her face with, you know?] & the 1st vet i took her to thought it was an allergy. but when that treatment failed to help, & the sores spread to her legs, i took her to a different vet, who said it was herpes. the treatment [lysine] had the sores drying up w/in about 3-4 days, & they completely disappeared w/in about 10 days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogstar5988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

these look exactly like Pixel's herpes sores. during her first flare-up, she also got them on her front legs [the ones she uses to wash her face with, you know?] & the 1st vet i took her to thought it was an allergy. but when that treatment failed to help, & the sores spread to her legs, i took her to a different vet, who said it was herpes. the treatment [lysine] had the sores drying up w/in about 3-4 days, & they completely disappeared w/in about 10 days.
Is that contagious to other cats? I'm worried that having handled my friends cat I could spread something to my poor Panther!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DogStar5988

Is that contagious to other cats? I'm worried that having handled my friends cat I could spread something to my poor Panther!
don't think so - i have 5 cats, & Pixel is the only one that has symptoms. right now she & Cable are sleeping face to face. if it was contagious, Cable would have it, too, & she doesn't.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, feline herpes is contagious, but the odds are good your cat was exposed to it long ago. Almost all cats are, almost from birth.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

ah, interesting... thanks for sharing. I did not know that. I've always heard of the sores appearing on the face. Good to know