looks like only 1 will survive...

sharon_fdcc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My little rescued cat had her first litter a couple of days ago - she is only around 9 months old, and still trying to catch up in her development after a malnourished "childhood". Unfortunately I was away, and only arrived today. My housemate (who is not much of a cat person, but really did her best!) found one of the 4 kittens dead - apparently stepped on by mommy. Today, one of the others is almost dead - this one with lots of nasal discharge. One other looks okay, but doesn't want to eat and is pretty listless - I'm guessing she/he won't make it either. One, however, is full of zest and seems to be nursing ok. Mom seems very healthy!

Could the kittens problems be because of mom being so young? Or because of her development issues? What do you think?

Thanks!

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't really know, but I lost a kitten from my cat's recent litter. One was dead when I woke up and realized she had given birth in the night. My friend told me that the kitten may have been saved if I had been awake to try save it, but that possibly it was just not meant to live. If my cat knew that the one kitten was beyond saving, she would have left it to ensure the other's were OK. It just helped me to realize that some things just happen even if we wish they were different.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep the kittens warm - a cold kitten can't nurse - also you could try putting some corn syrup on the gums of the listless one - it will raise the blood sugar and give it some energy to nurse.

You probably already know all this, but just in case...oh, and keep their room pretty warm. Upper 70s Fahrenheit I would say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharon_fdcc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies and the vibes. The listless one also seems to have some nasal discharge - I'm guessing that's why it can't seem to swallow... tried more warmth and bottled kitten glop - no luck. Momma doesn't want to completely give up on them yet - I moved them to a different spot, basically so that they might die apart from momma so that she won't get agitated and give up on the strong one, but she went for them. I guess its time just to let nature take its course.

While losing the 3 babies is very sad, the big relief is that mommy is ok! I was worried about her being so young... and it was an accidental pregnancy.

So... any tips about what do to with dying newborns? Take away from mom? Let her keep them until they have passed away?

Thanks again.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This may be strange advice, but I just remembered reading in a puppy book that you can sometimes clear their nasal passages by swinging them. In the book it suggested holding them securely, nose out, and swinging them down between your legs.

That was only if the puppies weren't clearing the birth fluid from their own nasal passages. I'm not sure if it is in any way similar.

I know what you mean about finding the bright spots in the health of your cat and possibly the one strong baby. I just wanted my cat to get better when she got really sick after the birth of her babies. Raising kittens is hard on us as well.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a bulb extractor? (??? gosh, what is that thing called?) You know, where you suck the gunk out of babies' noses? You could do that with kittens, because they if they can't breathe, they can't nurse...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Do you have a bulb extractor? (??? gosh, what is that thing called?) You know, where you suck the gunk out of babies' noses? You could do that with kittens, because they if they can't breathe, they can't nurse...
Aspirator. I see them at the drug store in the baby section. Yeah, that would work.

sharon_fdcc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Really appreciate the support and suggestions. Lot's of "what if I had..." in my head, but at the same time I have to trust in nature's plan. The two aren't responding and probably won't make it much more than a few more hours.
But one is going strong, and mom is fine - I'll be that the survivor turns out to be a sturdy little thing!!

Thanks again!

tigger_2801

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know what the others will think to this, but De had hers four days ago, and one of them really struggled to feed at first. She seemed to find the nipple but be to weak to do anything with it. We fed her a couple of times with a syringe and it seemed to give her the boost she needed...she's doing great now. You could try kitten formula boosted with a little glucose syrup.

With the swinging to clear nasal passages, you need to hold them firmly between two hangs and swing your arms in an arc between your legs, stopping abruptly at the end of the swing.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you need to unclog the kittens nose because when they don't smell, they can't smell Momma or the milk so they can't eat...
Have you tried calling your vet?
Good luck!

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Um,

sorry- but te obvious thing to do would go to a vet asap and have them looked at. They probably also need some antibiotics if they have a nasal discharge which could indicate that they have some amniotic fluid in their lungs.

If you don't know how to swing out a kitten properly this should also be done by a vet or someone with experience like a breeder.

Have you been weighing the kittens on a daily basis? Are they gaining weight sufficiently? If no you might have to additionally bottle feed them

Loosing kittens is sad- but I really can't understand why you haven't been to the vets. Letting "nature take its course" is not OK in my books if you haven't been to a vets to see if they have a chance of surviving with medical care.

Christine

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Letting "nature take its course" is not OK in my books if you haven't been to a vets to see if they have a chance of surviving with medical care.
I agree!

There is nothing natural about just letting kittens die. Its not as though she is some wild cat that gave birth in some underbrush. Just sitting back and letting the poor things struggle seem cruel. At the very least clean their little faces and try to clear their noses. Give them some help!!!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharon_fdcc

The two aren't responding and probably won't make it much more than a few more hours.
But one is going strong, and mom is fine - I'll be that the survivor turns out to be a sturdy little thing!!
I hope I'm never seriously sick or injured with you responsible for me!

Of course, hand-feeding a couple of kittens for a few weeks can be an arduous task, but trying a little to give them enough of a start to get them going might make all the difference in the world.

Our member fastnoc almost gave up on one kitten, but carried it around, etc., and after a few hours it did quite well. I suspect he was very glad he put in that little bit of effort, when it looked hopeless.

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

- I moved them to a different spot, basically so that they might die apart from momma so that she won't get agitated and give up on the strong one, but she went for them. I guess its time just to let nature take its course.
wow. why would you do that? if they are going to die it should be with their mom, not alone! that is so sad

sharon_fdcc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, the two little ones didn't make it, but yes they spent their time with mommy, and I accompanied them all throughout the day.

By "letting nature take its course" I didn't mean that I was standing idly by!! I appreciated the suggestions received and spend the day trying them, to no avail. Had I been in town (was away during the birth - which, by the way, came 10 days before the vets estimate) and earlier intervention might have been more successful. I live in a place (the outskirts of a Mexican city) where most cats are completely on their own (I took mom as a starving kitten off the dirt road of a slum). Emergency vet care is not readily accessible, and as a missionary here I have to be culture conscious in a place where PEOPLE suffer and die for lack of what many would consider basic medical care. The three abandoned cats that I have cared for over the past few years (with plenty of batches of kitten glop, sleepless nights bottle feeding, cleaning wounds, etc.) have received their shots, and have been neutered (Micha wasn't neutered yet because she is still somewhat stunted in her growth - and we probably even miscalculated her age.)

PLEASE keep in mind that not all cat lovers and owners have access to high tech vet care, prescription pet meds and premium diets. That is what makes this website so important for some of us!!

Thanks Sonhi for understanding!

The little survivor is thriving - as is mom. I am very grateful for this and look forward to the next couple of months with them both until it is time for kitten to go to his/her new home. I appreciate good vibes for them both.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad that one has survived.
for him to have a long happy life
And thank you for taking in a stray kitty

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No, the two little ones didn't make it, but yes they spent their time with mommy, and I accompanied them all throughout the day.

By "letting nature take its course" I didn't mean that I was standing idly by!! I appreciated the suggestions received and spend the day trying them, to no avail. Had I been in town (was away during the birth - which, by the way, came 10 days before the vets estimate) and earlier intervention might have been more successful. I live in a place (the outskirts of a Mexican city) where most cats are completely on their own (I took mom as a starving kitten off the dirt road of a slum). Emergency vet care is not readily accessible, and as a missionary here I have to be culture conscious in a place where PEOPLE suffer and die for lack of what many would consider basic medical care. The three abandoned cats that I have cared for over the past few years (with plenty of batches of kitten glop, sleepless nights bottle feeding, cleaning wounds, etc.) have received their shots, and have been neutered (Micha wasn't neutered yet because she is still somewhat stunted in her growth - and we probably even miscalculated her age.)

PLEASE keep in mind that not all cat lovers and owners have access to high tech vet care, prescription pet meds and premium diets. That is what makes this website so important for some of us!!

Thanks Sonhi for understanding!

The little survivor is thriving - as is mom. I am very grateful for this and look forward to the next couple of months with them both until it is time for kitten to go to his/her new home. I appreciate good vibes for them both.
I applaud you for trying to make a difference under difficult circumstances. Often when we read threads we don't know the details or background and jump to conclusions and pre-judgements. Thank you for your understanding.

sharon_fdcc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank YOU for understanding, Yosemite! Certainly we all share a great respect and love for animals, even if our circumstances differ. It is good to know that our kitties have such staunch defenders!

"Zack" (the pre-adoption name of the survivor) is getting fat - not having to compete with anyone for his food! He seems a bit slow in getting his eyes open, but no goop or anything. Well, its only been 6 days...Mom is enjoying the spoiling she is getting - she eats better if I stay with her, and especially likes to take her kibble out of my hand... I think she is starting to take advantage of me though! She loves for me to pet her while she nurses.

Zack has started to gain muscle tone - he now gets into more cat-like positions - all curled up, or stretching out, or using mom's limbs as a pillow. Mom lets me handle him as long as I am in sight - and until he meows. He actually sleeps in my cupped hands, which is a wonderful feeling! Mom is very tranquil and relaxed, and purrs almost constantly.

We still have a lot of toms prowling around - I'm going to have to neuter Micha the very instant the Zack is weaned!

Good wishes to all!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank YOU for understanding, Yosemite! Certainly we all share a great respect and love for animals, even if our circumstances differ. It is good to know that our kitties have such staunch defenders!

"Zack" (the pre-adoption name of the survivor) is getting fat - not having to compete with anyone for his food! He seems a bit slow in getting his eyes open, but no goop or anything. Well, its only been 6 days...Mom is enjoying the spoiling she is getting - she eats better if I stay with her, and especially likes to take her kibble out of my hand... I think she is starting to take advantage of me though! She loves for me to pet her while she nurses.

Zack has started to gain muscle tone - he now gets into more cat-like positions - all curled up, or stretching out, or using mom's limbs as a pillow. Mom lets me handle him as long as I am in sight - and until he meows. He actually sleeps in my cupped hands, which is a wonderful feeling! Mom is very tranquil and relaxed, and purrs almost constantly.

We still have a lot of toms prowling around - I'm going to have to neuter Micha the very instant the Zack is weaned!

Good wishes to all!
Aww, congrats, he sounds really cute, and I'm glad he made it