Shredded/chunky consistency

swooshbug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

After my saga here: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195185 both my 8 month old furbabies are feeling better and are eating! I was feeding them weruva wet and evo dry, but am hesitant to go back to feeding either of those in case something was wrong with the food or they had an allergy or something.

I had reservations about feeding them Weruva in the first place b/c of the low fat content, but since they loved it, I continued feeding it. I thought that the higher fat content of the evo dry would balance it out?

Does anyone have any suggestions on a high quality wet food that has a shredded/chunky consistency? They really loved the Weruva, it was the only wet food they would eat regularly. They would also eat Avoderm Select Cuts some of the time.

They won't eat Merrick.

What else can I try?
Thanks for any help/suggestions!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
nutro pouches and small 3 oz cans

meow mix pouches and cups

wellness pouches

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe our cats are related! They love Weruva and usually reject the pate-style foods. Lately they've been eating the Wellness pouches, so maybe you can try those.

They used to like Fromm's as well, but I can't find that in my area anymore.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fromms makes entrees that have shredded meat - I was at a pet show lastweekend and the reps told me they are changing canneries so the new can will be slightly bigger.

Nature's Variety makes Homestyle - the meat is in chunks and it looks like stew. But it isn't grain-free. They have turkey and turkey liver, beef and beef liver, chicken and duck, seafood stew and chicken and tuna. My cats like it.

carla1183

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cats prefer the shredded texture as well. We've found the meow mix pouches work well. (But if your guys have UTI problems all the flavors seem to have a fish broth base, I think that might be bad?)

I haven't tried it, but I've been meaning to pick up a couple of cans of Before Grain wet food as well. It's literally just meat and water. The ingredient list doesn't get more pure than that!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carla1183

I haven't tried it, but I've been meaning to pick up a couple of cans of Before Grain wet food as well. It's literally just meat and water. The ingredient list doesn't get more pure than that!
BG wet food is 100% meat and NOT suitable for a full diet....it's supplemental...they even say it on the food can (not nutritionally complete). As well, it is not shredded or chunked, it's pate. Good food for once in a while, but not something to be fed as a daily source of food.

BG Chicken

OUR INGREDIENTS
Chicken, Water for Processing

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein\t(Min.)\t9.0%
Crude Fat\t(Min.)\t8.0%
Crude Fiber\t(Max.)\t1.2%
Moisture\t\t(Max.)\t76.0%

CALORIE CONTENT
1466 kcal/kg - A 5.5 oz. can provides 235 kcal of metabolizable energy, calculated value. A 3.2 oz. can provides 132 kcal of metabolizable energy, calculated value.

Before Grain cans are intended for supplemental feeding only and are not intended for use as a complete and balanced diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swooshbug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I tried the prairie homestyle, and it was a hit, so I'll see if they continue to like it :p I think I'll see if I can find the Fromm too.

And, I've even gotten them to eat some pate style, so maybe the not eating for days sort of got them open to trying new things! They are still obsessed with making sure they have dry food though, they much prefer that to wet.