new kitten has watery diarrhea

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
his history:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195139

The poor baby has been having diarrhea since the weekend, but has gotten watery about 48 hours ago. He was dropped off for his first vet visit today, but wouldn't give a stool sample. I gave him the dewormer earlier this evening after work. It wasn't long before he made a bowel movement. Now, a few minutes ago, he almost had another accident. Mom noticed him going to a certain spot and acting like he did during previous accidents so I scooped him up and took him to the litter box (I put an extra one closer to the front of the house for him, but he hasn't gotten used to using that one yet). More watery stool. At least I have enough now for the stool sample I'll be turning in tomorrow.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime? I am amazed that he still has TONS of energy with all the diarrhea he's been having.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It wouldn't surprise me if he has some kind of parasite causing his problems. Just make sure he's continuing to eat (try a bit of canned pumpkin, plain, not the pie filling kind) or plain vanilla.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

It wouldn't surprise me if he has some kind of parasite causing his problems. Just make sure he's continuing to eat (try a bit of canned pumpkin, plain, not the pie filling kind) or plain vanilla.
I'll ask the vet about that tomorrow. I have to drop off the stool sample anyway.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dropped off his stool sample this morning before work. I told them that even after I gave him the dewormer, his stool were still watery. Tonight his stool actually seem a bit waterier. I just forced a bit of pumpkin in his mouth.

The front desk nurse told me that the stool sample results will be sent off and ready tomorrow. In the meantime, she told me they have to wait for the results before they know what to give him. I am going to call them again tomorrow and tell them his stools are worse.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he had another couple rounds of diarrhea tonight. This time they were mucousy and had traces of blood. I don't care if the stupid results don't come till sometime tomorrow. I am going to call them first thing at 7 am and insist that something be done for him even if it means dropping him off again so they can give him something while I am at work. Mom can always pick him up.

In the meantime, my brother is supposed to be on his way home. Since Mom (even at my age
) gets concerned about me going to the store alone, we will go to Walmart and pick up some pedialyte for him.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
doctor think he has coccidia. he got one medicine for the diarrhea and one for the parasite. He should be clearing up very soon. Phew.

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Starfish

He should be clearing up very soon. Phew.
Thats good news, it is sure a tough waiting game trying to figure this sort of thing out and hoping it will work out for the best.

Hope the med's kick in and improove things soon.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

doctor think he has coccidia. he got one medicine for the diarrhea and one for the parasite. He should be clearing up very soon. Phew.
I'm glad it's nothing serious. What did they give him for the coccidia?

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatNurse22

I'm glad it's nothing serious. What did they give him for the coccidia?
Ponazuril and Metronidizole

Edit: I've just found a couple of fleas on him. Flea treatments are for kittens 2 pounds and up. Darn!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can use a flea comb and some water with a couple of drops (1-2 drops) of Dawn dishwashing detergent in it. Just dip the comb into the bowl of Dawn-water and then comb your cat. You might want to rinse him off a bit after so he doesn't lick his fur. As you know, if they ingest the fleas, they'll get worms which is another problem you certainly don't need right now.

How's the diarrhea?

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Ponazuril and Metronidizole

Edit: I've just found a couple of fleas on him. Flea treatments are for kittens 2 pounds and up. Darn!
Ponazuril works really really will for coccidia. Hopefully the little booger will be back in top shape soon.

starfish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

You can use a flea comb and some water with a couple of drops (1-2 drops) of Dawn dishwashing detergent in it. Just dip the comb into the bowl of Dawn-water and then comb your cat. You might want to rinse him off a bit after so he doesn't lick his fur. As you know, if they ingest the fleas, they'll get worms which is another problem you certainly don't need right now.

How's the diarrhea?
I didn't see any diarrhea from him today until about the last half hour when he had a pudding like bowel movement. Vet did say if it doesn't start getting better by Monday to give him a call. But at least, he hasn't been going as much. So I hope it's starting to work.

About the fleas: Someone's been working on the house, so while I've been watching the house and the kitties I sent Mom to get a flea collar to chop up and put in the vacuum.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The antibiotics might also be contributing to the diarrhea now, too.

If you're adventurous, you can use Borax on your floors, carpets, and couches to get rid of the fleas. Just sprinkle it onto your carpets and floors, making sure you get under furniture. If you can, brush it into the carpet with a broom. Let it set overnight and then vacuum it up the next morning. Be sure to keep kitty out of the room while being treated. Wash all bedding in HOT water, also using Borax.

You can also use it safely on your pet, but since your guy is so little, I wouldn't do that.

missmeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, when my kitten had the same problem a friend told me to mixed a little cooked white rice into her wet food and it really helped, diarrhea can also happen when the kitten is transitioning from milk to food. the rice really helps though!