New to cats- kitten getting spayed on Friday.

merindah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm nervous as a 1st time cat mum.

Libby goes in Friday morning to be spayed and I don't know what to expect.. how she will feel?, do I have to stop her from jumping/playing? Should I expect Libby to be hungry, use the box etc? Will the vet give us pain meds. for her? My husband is dropping Libby at the vet and picking her up so any info the vet provides will be 2nd hand for me.

Libby is 6 months old now and had surgery in February for a heart murmur (PDA) so she has been through a lot in her little life. The vet said she will try to use surgical glue if possible.

Thanks

swooshbug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know just how you feel. I was a nervous wreck when we got Gir spayed a couple months ago.

Gir came home and jumped/played like normal, I tried to stop her but couldn't
My vet gave us pain meds to give to her, so I think that's why she wanted to play. I think Gir didn't eat until the next day, sometimes the stuff they use to knock them out makes them nauseous. Using the litter box was normal, i didn't notice anything different.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sasha had a laparoscoptic spay last Feb and was fine.
I did not have Cleo when she was spayed so I had to wait to find ot she was ok.
Meeko was fine also and she has a heart murmur.
They all had dissolving stitches.
I felt the same way you do now.
I felt worse with Cleo because it was before she was shipped here.
Good Luck with your cat.
Mine got pain meds and were not messed up at all when they came home.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not to worry momma. Spays are usually a very easy and routine surgery and your baby should be just fine! Usually there is no need for pain meds if it's just a routine spay (if the cat isn't in heat or pregnant). However, if she seems like she's in pain after surgery you can definitely request she get some pain meds. She should be a little drowsy for the first 24-48 hours after. And since I'm sure she'll be fasted for at least a little while before her surgery, she'll probably want to eat like she's never seen food before when you get her home!! Her litterbox habits should be back to normal when you get her home. Try not to let her go too wild (climbing all over everything or jumping around like a trapeze artist), but she should be fine to have free roam of the house and go about her usual activities. Just keep an eye on her incision until it heals. A little swelling and slight bruising is normal, but if you see blood or pus or if it looks like it's opening up any, get her back to the vet. I'm sure your little one will handle it like a trooper!! Good luck, .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merindah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Catnurse

You were correct. Libby is drowsy and could not walk straight when we got home at 5pm, we let her sleep in the bathroom for 2 hours and she can walk properly now but looks very groggy still. The vet said she was a late surgery today. Libby used the litter box when we got home (pee) and was very hungry. I gave her a little wet food an hour or so ago and she ate it all very quickly (had been 24 hrs since she last ate), so I gave her some more a few mins ago and she ate another good portion. I saw her jump on and off the couch a few times but that's about it. I don't actually know where the incision is and am afraid to pick her up in case I hurt her.

Thanks for your help.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get her in your lap and gently roll her over to look, or get down on the floor and roll her over - you'll need to know and keep an eye on it. If you must pick her up a hand on her chest and one under her butt will work. Just avoid grabbing her around her belly.

merindah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip, I was able to look at her incision and it looks ok at the moment. At least I should be able to tell if it changes. She is back in the kitchen eating again so I guess that's a good sign.

merindah

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you guys think I should confine her to the bathroom when we go to sleep tonight? At the moment she's sleeping on the couch in the living room. Most nights she will eventually jump up on our bed for a few hours. I'm worried about her jumping.

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by merindah

Do you guys think I should confine her to the bathroom when we go to sleep tonight? At the moment she's sleeping on the couch in the living room. Most nights she will eventually jump up on our bed for a few hours. I'm worried about her jumping.
A jump to the bed won't hurt her. But to ease your mind, maybe start her out with you? She should be pretty tired tonight so maybe she'll stay.