Too many pets?

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well i spent Easter with family and close friends,and it was kind of eventful.
Most people think i have too many pets and think one day i will snap and go crazy,personally i think i am doing good financially we could be better but all the animals have food plus up to date with vet care......
I currently have
10 month old 75 pound lab
6 year old beagle(who acts more like a puppy)
3 year old beagle
plus i foster beagles
3 cats ages 1ish-10years
7 kittens(we will be keeping 2)
2 rabbits
2 hermit crabs
1 budgie

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As long as you can do vet care and food I don't think you can have too many pets. Well wait you can a little. One of out clients/friends [my sister keeps her horse at her place] has like 5 cats [2 tame, 3 feral], 2 llamas, 2 horses, and 8 dogs. The dogs are entirely out of control, they fight with each other sometimes but will also try to attack you when you come to the house, half of them are geriatric with many problems. However ALL of their animals get the BEST care. So far in 2009 they have spent over $7,000 in treatment of their animals and who knows what they spent at emergency clinics so far this year! But I say they have too many because the dogs are not managed at all, "the pack" pretty much does whatever it wants and in that case I think you can have too many animals when you can't devote time to each of them to train them so that you can keep pack order.

Anyway I think your crew sounds fine, again food and medical, can't go wrong there.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If YOU donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think you have too many animals then you donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have too many animals. A lot of people donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t understand us animals lovers and donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t understand that our limit is most likely higher then theirs.

As long as your animals are happy, healthy, and loved then its not too much. As long as thereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s enough money for food, vet bills, and other needed items, you donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have too many animals.

It irritates me when people laugh at me and tell me I have too many animals, in reality I want two more. No one is perfect, before people judge us animal lovers for too many animals they should look at themselves. Everyone has something that other people think they are weird for, its not just us “too many animals†people lol.

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's funny really. My in-laws are always making comments on how we have too many cats (6). They are not animal lovers. My family always asks how my little tribe is doing and my grandparents even send cards at holidays to them. They are animals lovers

Silvionc is right, people who do not have a passion for our animal friends usually don't understand how we can live our lives with so much fur, feathers, and scales.

I view too many as if I can't afford care, food or shelter for them or if I can't give them the love and attention they deserve because there are too many. Honestly I could afford to add a small dog to my 6 cats and 1 fish, but I know in my heart I wouldn't have the time to really give them the attention and love they deserve. That's how I know I have hit my limit. Now if I could ever find a job that was close to home and flexible hours... here doggie doggie doggie

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I view too many as if I can't afford care, food or shelter for them or if I can't give them the love and attention they deserve because there are too many.
I agree with you totally! I think you pretty much have too many when you can't give them the individual attention they need. Some people can balance 10 pets, some people can only handle 2. It really depends on the situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Of course my dogs have gotten into spats more or less over toys.But it has never gotten to the point i can't afford vet care,of course that could change if every animal got sick at the same time......
My mom is not a cat lover she has severe allergies and thinks cats only get into your garbage outside and destroy gardens,yet she lives in a very high stray area.
Out of all my animals my family except for my brothers have met only 1 dog,Kass my brothers have met all the cats and dogs.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can handle them all and give them enough attention - more power to you. I know my limits. I made up my mind a long time ago no more then 6 adults cats as over that I could not give them all the attention they needed.

As long as you set limits for yourself its not that hard to turn down. I'd have a "zoo" according to hubby if he said yes, but I know my limits

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelic00

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am still doing good everyone gets tones of attention,The dogs get it mostly through the day then when they are in their crates for the night the cats love the attention(plus they sleep with me).

hypancistrus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silvionc

If YOU donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t think you have too many animals then you donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t have too many animals. A lot of people donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t understand us animals lovers and donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t understand that our limit is most likely higher then theirs.
Originally Posted by Mai_kitties

It's funny really. My in-laws are always making comments on how we have too many cats (6)... Silvionc is right, people who do not have a passion for our animal friends usually don't understand how we can live our lives with so much fur, feathers, and scales.
These are great points. My father yelled at me the other day about how he "hopes my neighbors never find out" about all my animals because "it's illegal." I tried explaining to my dad that our county only monitors cats and dogs, and since we only have three dogs and two cats, who are all up to date on rabies and registered, we are fine. He doesn't understand.

I get this same stuff from my mom all the time....

It's so nice to come here and find out that others have the same issues with family who just don't "get it."

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, as long as you are able to provide them with a good environment, food, vet care, and love/attention then it is not too many.

Right now in our home: 1 dog (German Shepherd), 7 cats, 2 sugar gliders, 2 rats, and a frog... Four of the cats are foster kittens but they may be staying.
I am planning to get a second dog sometime soon as well, because I really prefer to have two dogs and that way I can do more dog activities (usually one dog will enjoy one activity but not others, and the other dog will enjoy others...)
Giving them attention/food/vet care isn't a problem so I don't think it is too many. I have 3 other people in the house so they also give the dog/cats attention as well although I am the one who takes care of them (except for 2 of the cats who belong to a family member.)