Oh no....ugh!

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay...

So, I should have seen this coming...Cat who has been outside most of his life is going to have the typical issues...Fleas, worms, etc.

Well...I was told he was flea treated and wormed.

But, no, he has worms.
Tapeworms from the wiggling worm I found around his behind and the small rice-sized remaints I'm finding on his tail. He has been flea treated by me with Advantage, along with everyone else (all utd on flea treatment for the month). UPDATED TO ADD: None of the cats have fleas or are around any animals with fleas.

I'm vaccuming everywhere constantly and washing everything made of cloth in bleach. If I walk out of the room I've had him in, (luckily, or not, he and the other two cats have been contained to the bedroom for the weekend and today), I wash off my feet before I walk around outside of 'the' room...I put new sheets on my bed each time I go to sleep for the past day or two. (I am SUPER paranoid right now)
I feel really nutso for being so....whatever...obssesive over this.

So, my questions are:

1.) It's correct to assume everyone needs to be wormed now, (to be 100% safe), since he's been here 48 hours now and used the general litter box?

2.) Litter needs to be dumped and box cleaned with bleach, right?

3.) Borax on the carpets can take care of reoccuring issues, or not? I've never personally had to try borax before.

4.) Everything needs to be cleaned/santized, correct?

Is there anything else I need to do?

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our cats, a former stray, got tapeworms a while back. The vet told me the only way cats can get tapeworms is by ingesting a flea or an animal that has fleas or worms. She did not seem concerned about the fact that the cats share litterboxes...and I have seen no signs of tapeworms on the other cats. I thought the sharing litterboxes was sure to be a problem, but according the vet, as long as the boxes were scooped regularly, the other cats most likely wouldn't get worms.

The vet gave me a topical cream (emodepside and praziquantel), which I applied once to the back of the cat's neck. It was sooo much easier than giving him a pill, and it worked well.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there - I get you.... Take them to the vet and get him dewormed -They can use Drontal (one dose only), or Profender (topical). In one day or so you will not see anything else as far as worms... It works very quickly!
Originally Posted by plainjane

So, my questions are:

1.) It's correct to assume everyone needs to be wormed now, (to be 100% safe), since he's been here 48 hours now and used the general litter box? If they have fleas, yes; if not, ask your vet - it might not be necessary. I did deworm my second cat as she had had a flea infestation before. I did it just in case, but if she hadn't had fleas, I wouldn't.

2.) Litter needs to be dumped and box cleaned with bleach, right? I didn't do this, but I guess it wouldn't hurt...

3.) Borax on the carpets can take care of reoccuring issues, or not? I've never personally had to try borax before. I don't think this is necessary. If you have fleas, treat your cats, and you can also treat the carpet with Diatomaceous Earth (100% pure, food quality). Tapeworms comes from fleas...

4.) Everything needs to be cleaned/santized, correct? Not really... This is your call - I didn't do it, and have had no problems at all after they were dewormed.

Is there anything else I need to do?
get them dewormed ASAP, so you can relax. The problem goes away almost immediately. Good luck!