Aya-chan getting spayed today!

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just dropped the little furkid off to get spayed. She's almost 6 months now (the Vet here won't do early spay). She gets done around noon and stays overnight. I get to pick her up tomorrow after 4pm. Never done this before as we always adopt adults from the HS and they come already fixed, much less in a forreign country with a VET whose native language is not English...

The Vet has figured out I speak some Japanese, so no translation! So there was a limit to how much I could ask about the procedure. They take them somewhere nearby to do it then bring them back. Its a small chain of 3 or 4 hospitals.

pls....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Got the call last eve that she had the surgery and everything went well. Get to pick up my furkid after work around 4pm. Yeah! The apartment was awfully quiet w/out her for 36hrs...

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I am glad she is ok.
I was glad mine all came home the same day.
When I worked at an animal hospital in the US, all the animals went home same day too... Of course you had to drop off no later than 7:30am.

Japan is different. They tend to keep people in the hospital longer too, like they did in the US back in olden days. I think part of this is just translation over to animals. That and I know they didn't do the op till after noon.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I lived in Japan, the male cats were neutered with an injection, given directly into the testicles. Within a month, the tom looked and acted just like a surgically neutered cat. I was also under the impression that they had a sterilization injection for females, too, but I could be wrong about that. Do they still do that? If so, do you know what the product is called? I'm curious because U.S. vets still haven't developed a sterilization injection, which would be very useful to prevent overpopulation.

Here's wishing Aya-Chan a quick recovery!

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

When I lived in Japan, the male cats were neutered with an injection, given directly into the testicles. Within a month, the tom looked and acted just like a surgically neutered cat. I was also under the impression that they had a sterilization injection for females, too, but I could be wrong about that. Do they still do that? If so, do you know what the product is called? I'm curious because U.S. vets still haven't developed a sterilization injection, which would be very useful to prevent overpopulation.

Here's wishing Aya-Chan a quick recovery!
Never heard of it as far as I am aware its surgical same as in the US. That said, one of the reson there are so many feral cats here is that people are not as good about getting pets altered...