You can call me Six-Eyes (or is it eight eyes?)!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're off in a few minutes to pick out an additional pair of glasses frames for me (additional, not duplicate). My optometrist told me that we've known it was coming for the last 7 years, and I told him it's probably because at last year's checkup I was in my 40's and this appointment I'm in my 50's.

So I have glasses for my nearsightedness, going to have glasses for farsightedness, and my contacts are set up for one eye to see far away, and one corrects for seeing close up! LOL!

What about you? Do you have glasses or contacts?

I just realized I have sunglasses, too, is that 10 eyes now?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

We're off in a few minutes to pick out an additional pair of glasses frames for me (additional, not duplicate). My optometrist told me that we've known it was coming for the last 7 years, and I told him it's probably because last checkup I was in my 40's and this appointment I'm in my 50's.

So I have glasses for my nearsightedness, going to have glasses for farsightedness, and my contacts are set up for one eye to see far away, and one corrects for seeing close up, lol!

What about you? Do you have glasses or contacts?

I just realized I have sunglasses, too, is that 10 eyes now?
I only need glasses for reading (like right now) but I just bought my usual drug store glasses yesterday taking another step up to 3.00. I started with 1.50 and then progressed: 1.75, 2.00, 2.25, 2.50, 2.75 and now 3.00. The drug store glasses only go to 3.50, so what then?

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have glasses but they are more of an option. I wear them when reading and I tend to wear them when I am driving at night.
My big problem is one of my eyes dilates correctly and the other does not. So if I dont have sunglasses on when it is even a little sunny my eyes and head will be throbbing in around an hour...

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hon, I feel for you! My mom had 3 different pairs of glassed (not including sunglasses). One was her normal presciption, the second was her bifocals, but they made her dizzy wearing them all the time, so they were only for doing needlework, the last were her reading glasses because the other 2 pairs gave her a headache if she tried to read with them. It got to the point she would ask me to get her glasses and I had to ask "which one???".

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a weird set up too. At 30 I developed cataracts, so I have had both lenses replaced with silicon implants. So that made me 20/20 for distance, but anything about 6 feet and closer I really can't see well (because they cut away the muscle that makes your eyes focus, so I have a fixed focus.) I had a terrible time at first, but that was right about when they were beginning to make multifocal "bi-focal" contacts. So that's what I have. Unfortunately, in low light like inside or at night, the bi-focals don't work that well. So for driving and watching tv, etc, I have glasses so that I can see FAR.

Oh, yeah, and when I take my contacts out and am in bed, I have to use reading glasses, LOL. I guess I'm 8 eyes too!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wouldn't have multi-focal lenses been easier?! I've got contacts and a spare pair of glasses.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's nice to see I'm not alone!

I actually like my distance glasses, my husband and daughter helped me pick them out, so they are coming with me today to help, again.

(I should take them when trying on swimsuits!)

I usually wear my contacts but relaxing at home I don't, and that's when I need to see the computer, or book, or cookbook...

twstychik, we ruled out multi-focal lenses because I have a problem with dizziness and vertigo, and getting used to those kinds of lenses could be a problem.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

twstychik, we ruled out multi-focal lenses because I have a problem with dizziness and vertigo, and getting used to those kinds of lenses could be a problem.
Ahh... I see how that could be a problem. Even my single focus lenses get to me if I try to look out the edge of them.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm nearsighted and only wear glasses for driving or anything else that requires looking at things 'out there'. I can still read and do needlework without glasses. So I take them off to read and on to drive or look over the top if I'm at a store and need to read a label. LOL

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm extremely nearsighted, and just recently started needing bifocals. My glasses are so heavy, that even with the high index lenses, they give me a headache after wearing them for a while. I usually wear contacts, but I have astigmatism, so I need toric lenses. Since they don't make toric bifocal lenses, I have my contacts set up for mono-vision (one eye for near, one for far.) I only wear my glasses in the evenings, after I've taken my contacts out. I really hate to drive with them, because the peripheral vision is very distorted because of the correction. This current pair of glasses are my first bifocal lenses. I went with progressives because I wasn't sure if the line would bother me. I'm too chicken to do Lasik.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm nearsighted, its been getting worse lately (I'm 20 and I hear nearsightedness increases until 25 or something)
I wear contacts and glasses, i switch back and forth..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to go get my eyes checked again. I just got a reminder card in the mail a few days ago.

I just have typical myopia - it's slowed down but my eyes are still getting worse. I can see extremely well up close, unless my eyes are doing that odd unfocusing thing (then I can't see anything for several seconds) - I don't believe there's any sort of fix for that.

I put off getting contacts for years because I hate eye drops. As a child I had a cat scratch on my eye and had to use some horrible drops that burned, so for years I couldn't get drops in my eyes. Now I have dry eye and no choice in the matter.
So I figured I might as well ask about contacts the next time I get my eyes checked. I would only use them occasionally as I don't even wear my glasses around the house unless I'm watching something subtitled, vacuuming/sweeping, or something else were I need to see clearly.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are soooooo not alone! I was diagnosed near sighted and have been wearing glasses since I was 8, well atleast I was suppose to
. I was told I couldn't get contacts as a teenager because I had astigmatism so I of course avoided wearing my glasses feeling embarrassed, including when I started driving. Thank the lord I didn't have a car accident but I soon realized how bad my eye sight was and eventually was able to get contacts years later.
To the point, I have contacts for work, prescription eye glasses for home, prescription sun glasses for errands, and all of them are probably out of date!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

I was told I couldn't get contacts as a teenager because I had astigmatism so I of course avoided wearing my glasses feeling embarrassed, including when I started driving. Thank the lord I didn't have a car accident but I soon realized how bad my eye sight was and eventually was able to get contacts years later.
I got my glasses when I was 14 or 15. I never felt embarrassed by them - though I did have wire frames. It was a lot more embarrassing running into stuff because I could not see. My range of what I could see clearly without my glass was about 4-5 feet from my face back then, now it's around 3 foot.
I don't leave the house without my glasses, ever. I will trip and fall over things I can't see or run into door frames that I'm not used to maneuvering...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few months ago I got progressive lenses.

I used to have single vision glasses that worked for everything from reading to far away. In fact I had the same prescription for years.

But about 5 years ago (age 42) my eyes changed. I started to have trouble reading with my glasses. The eye doctor said I didn't need them for reading anymore. He gave me the option at that time to get bifocals or just rake off my glasses. I chose the latter. It drove me bonkers though.

Over the last 3 years or so I noticed a deterioration in my vision. My glasses were no longer appropriate for looking at the computer or the TV but they were still ok for very far away. Eventually I just stopped wearing them altogether.

A couple months ago I went and had my eyes re-examined. I found that I needed progressive lenses for 4 different distances! So now I have progressive lenses. It took me weeks to get the hang of reading with them, and I still have problems and often find that I peer over them to read
and it's funny because I can tell who has progressives because they do the same thing, so I know it's not just me!

I didn't realize how bad my vision really was until I got the new glasses though. What a trip to be able to see clearly at a variety of distances.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

Well, I'm nearsighted and only wear glasses for driving or anything else that requires looking at things 'out there'. I can still read and do needlework without glasses. So I take them off to read and on to drive or look over the top if I'm at a store and need to read a label. LOL
Same here.

Ugh. I literally just got glasses like a couple weeks ago. I don't need them but they make it easier to see street signs when driving at night. Also to see boards in front of rooms if I am at a seminar.