Oh Man! The Geese are Back!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live on the bank of a river, and it used to be a popular nesting spot for ducks. However a few years ago some geese showed up and there was a turf war and the geese won!

I keep hoping that when they migrate back here they will forget this place and find somewhere else to nest. But no! They're baaaaack!

For those who don't live around geese, they don't sleep! They honk and fight 24/7!

I want the ducks back!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I live on the bank of a river, and it used to be a popular nesting spot for ducks. However a few years ago some geese showed up and there was a turf war and the geese won!

I keep hoping that when they migrate back here they will forget this place and find somewhere else to nest. But no! They're baaaaack!

For those who don't live around geese, they don't sleep! They honk and fight 24/7!

I want the ducks back!
I am not surprised the geese won out. I used to jog by some geese in the morning and they did not approve in the least bit!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Know exactly how you feel, I live right beside the river as well and I have a flock of about 12 that spend most of their time right in front of my deck. They can be really noisy at the best of times, but my neighbors dog Riley loves to torment them by barking at them which gets them all going.

He's a pretty smart dog though because he has enough sense to stay quite aways away from them. Last year he made the mistake of getting to close to one of the nests and got chased for it. I wish I would have had a video camera handy because it was hilarious to see this huge yellow lab tearing across the yard with a half a dozen geese on his tail..

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem (only for 17 more days though & than we move to a house in my hometown
) I live in an apt complex with a man made lake right in front of my building & I think this is the meeting hall for all the geese in Illinois because I have never seen so many in my life! I think they're cute but yes they are super noisy all day & all night long, luckily I sleep with ear plugs anyways so it doesn't bother me too much!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! I get so excited about geese! Two fly over my house almost every evening around the time I get home from work. The man who lives behind us has a pond and there is a lake nearby. I had no idea they were annoying to be around. I thought they were

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
They like to hang around our building at work. For the third year, one pair are nesting in a balcony planter so they will need help getting everyone on the ground after hatching.

Meanwhile, the grounds crew have to deal with Papa making himself protector of the grounds. Papa has also discovered his reflection in the glass windows so there is a lot of posturing there.

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I prefer geese to seagulls. With the mild weather the seagulls are back. We are about a 4 minute drive to the lake and for some reason they like to hang around my apt building and were out there screeching this morning

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mistressotdark

sorry to hear you have your geese back...can't say i've lived near geese.
Be thankful!

I hardly slept last night. As soon as I dozed off, they started honking and fighting with each other and woke me up! Even Abby was getting annoyed!

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nurseangel

Wow! I get so excited about geese! Two fly over my house almost every evening around the time I get home from work. The man who lives behind us has a pond and there is a lake nearby. I had no idea they were annoying to be around. I thought they were
They ARE cool.

... in the sky.

On the ground they are noisy, ornery, heck downright MEAN, big arse poop machines! The MESS those birds make is amazing...

I say you rent a bunch of border collies and have at 'em!