Magnum's outside adventure

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sunday morning DH decided to open the windows through out the house. It was a breezy morning and the air was blowing from the front all the way to the back of the house.

All of the windows have screens and I think three of them have duct tape to keep in my more adventurous kitties.

Of course our bedroom windows in the back of the house were only opened about 2 inches because the screens were not duct taped shut. I'm sure my husband thought no one would be able to squeeze between
a two inch crack. Ha! Never underestimate a Bengal!

As I was walking to the back of the house commenting on the wonderful
breeze through the house. I noticed the curtain blowing more than a two inch gap should have. Checking further I saw the screen was missing and the window was actually up about 5 or 6 inches.

This is when panic mode sets in! I mobilized everyone to do a head count.
Do you know how hard it is to track and count 11 cats!!
First count
gave us 11 but you always double check and ask for names. So with our
second count we only had 10. Takoda was counted twice due to his
following my son up under the bed looking for Magnum.

I knew he had to be in the backyard but DH and son thought he jumped fence. So off they went to neighbors to search yards. I stayed behind calling and opening cans of cat food.

My son insisted he checked under the shed but I just felt that's where he had to be. Called my husband home and made him search under the shed.
BINGO! A very upset, dirty, stressed Bengal is now home where he should be!

We are now going to use a little bit of duct tape on all the screens even though they snap in place. My Bengals don't necessarily want to be outside they just don't like limits placed on their space!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my gosh Eva............. I am so glad you guys got him back in.

Have you ever seen the metal screens you can get at Lowe's? Cats cant scratch through them and they are actually screwed in. Im pretty sure they are Bengal proof

Welcome Home you little wild boy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Oh my gosh Eva............. I am so glad you guys got him back in.

Have you ever seen the metal screens you can get at Lowe's? Cats cant scratch through them and they are actually screwed in. Im pretty sure they are Bengal proof

Welcome Home you little wild boy!
I've not seen those! I like the screw in part! They are forever pushing at the corners of the screen.
I will be glad when summer is in full swing and the A/C is going!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that panicked feeling all too well! Poseidon used to scratch out all my screens (got them replaced with pet-proof screen last year) and I would get home and just know.... some of the kitties are missing
I would do the same thing as you, quick head count and name check and then run outside calling kitty kitty kitty!! most of mine were only too happy to see me and would come in right away, especially Po

Glad Takoda was found so quickly!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can just imagine each little head popping up and answering with a "YO!" when you call their name.

I'm REALLY glad you found him quickly and he's safe and sound - Penny got out of the house through a screen last fall not long after I moved into my new place, but I didn't find out right away and had shut the window she got out of without realizing that the screen was out!

Poor Penny went around the entire house, from window to window until I finally saw her and met her back at the window she'd originally popped the screen out of. (She'd sprayed it so she could find her way back in the same way she went out.
Such a smart girl!
)

Duct tape, hmmm? How do you apply it? All my windows are the white vinyl replacement ones, and the screens are VERY easy to push out.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Geeeeeeeez! I would be panicked like nothing else!

Glad he is safe and sound!
Ditto! Some years ago I lived in the upstairs of a house and Kira, that cat I had at that time used to do the same thing, but roam around on the roof
Of course I couldn't do anything but call her and hope that she didn't fall off or try to jump to the house next door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I can just imagine each little head popping up and answering with a "YO!" when you call their name.

I'm REALLY glad you found him quickly and he's safe and sound - Penny got out of the house through a screen last fall not long after I moved into my new place, but I didn't find out right away and had shut the window she got out of without realizing that the screen was out!

Poor Penny went around the entire house, from window to window until I finally saw her and met her back at the window she'd originally popped the screen out of. (She'd sprayed it so she could find her way back in the same way she went out.
Such a smart girl!
)
Do you know Magnum tried to get back in the same exact window too! He was too stressed to let anyone grab him. Once he was out from under the shed he ran straight for the window. Stupid me closed it though. I quickly ran over and opened it back up and in he jumped.

Originally Posted by GingersMom

Duct tape, hmmm? How do you apply it? All my windows are the white vinyl replacement ones, and the screens are VERY easy to push out.
Oh it's not pretty! We just put a strip across the bottom of the screen on the inside. I even have one screen that has tape on the outside. It's actually not too noticeable either.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

Do you know Magnum tried to get back in the same exact window too! He was too stressed to let anyone grab him. Once he was out from under the shed he ran straight for the window. Stupid me closed it though. I quickly ran over and opened it back up and in he jumped.

Oh it's not pretty! We just put a strip across the bottom of the screen on the inside. I even have one screen that has tape on the outside. It's actually not too noticeable either.
These Bengals really ARE a constant surprise with how brilliant they are, aren't they.

I'll have to try the Duct tape thing - can always get Goo Gone to take off the tacky later on.
Thanks!