Is this normal?

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cali is now 36 days pregnant and the other day I noticed that she looked really skinny and was afraid that she miscarried the babies somewhere and I didn't notice. so as I was looking under the bed (she was following me around) and I happened to look over at her from a side angle and noticed that all her baby weight from the sides is now on the bottom. she is carrying really low. Is this normal for this stage in her pregnancy? the other thing that is worrying me is she is acting like, to put it in polite terms, a female dog. she has always been the sweetest cat, now whenever anyone gets near her while shes in this mood she growls and hisses, she also sits in the corner and twitches her tail back and forth, (you know the angry twitch) the only one she really allows around her is Guardian. when my dog gets near her she always freaks out and claws his nose. she has always been on friendly terms with him, now she acts like hes going to eat her! this happens about three times a day then the rest of the day she is back to her lovable self. but the most worrying thing is that she has taken to biting, she was always a nibbler when you would pet her she would gently bite your finger but now she bites hard enough to draw blood!it seems like she is frustrated with something but I don't know what!!!! Is she trying to tell me something, or is this just hormonal?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im not expert on pregnancy details.
But I know some about the behaviour. Cats who are suffering - pain or otherwise - dont have the same patience and friendliness as usual.
Also, as I know, most cats are rather sweeties during pregnancy. Can perhaps be touchy when the deliver is near - to prepare for defense of the small if need be.

Are you SURE it is only day 36? not 63??

My advice here is, if you dont get comforting messages from others - is you go with her to a good vet. Rather ASAP, dont contend with getting a time next week...

If you have a friendly vet who answers telephone-questions - you can of course begin with phoning.

You can also invest in a feliway diffuser... It will make her feel a little more comfortable, and spare some of the dogs fur...

Good luck!

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

Im not expert on pregnancy details.
But I know some about the behaviour. Cats who are suffering - pain or otherwise - dont have the same patience and friendliness as usual.
Also, as I know, most cats are rather sweeties during pregnancy. Can perhaps be touchy when the deliver is near - to prepare for defense of the small if need be.

Are you SURE it is only day 36? not 63??

My advice here is, if you dont get comforting messages from others - is you go with her to a good vet. Rather ASAP, dont contend with getting a time next week...

If you have a friendly vet who answers telephone-questions - you can of course begin with phoning.

You can also invest in a feliway diffuser... It will make her feel a little more comfortable, and spare some of the dogs fur...

Good luck!
No, she was 36 days, I remember from other posts, which is kind of odd for her to be acting like that.

As StefanZ said, I'd call your vet and ask him about her behavior. If Cali isn't usually like that, I'd watch her and look over her to make sure that she isn't in pain.
Sorry I couldn't dive you to much more advice

Good luck to you guys

samgypsy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The behavior is not whats really concerning me. My cat went through some serious mood changes during her pregnancy. At first she would be very affectionate and than turn around and bite me (and hard too), or she would growl, hiss and swat. She would be more affectionate than not, but nontheless it was still a little disturbing. What concerns me is that her stomach dropped, which is a good indication of a cat going into labor. My cat's stomach dropped from sides to the middle about 3 days before she delivered. You should take her in for an examination. I wish there was more I could tell you and I hope Im wrong and everything is OK. The best of luck to you.

tigger_2801

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd agree with Sam, Delilahs belly dropped down and back just before she went into labour. Unusual aggression can often be a sign that the animal is in pain, I'd definately get her checked out.

good luck

Vicky and Delilah xxx

tigger_2801

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, is there any chance she could have conceived without you knowing and be furher along than you think? You know animals in the spring, where there's a will there's a way!

Fingers crossed for you both