Finally finished my quilt today

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend's baby is now almost 4 weeks old and I had yet to finish the quilt. We were going over to my parents' house for Easter today and I decided to bring it with me to do the hand sewing on the binding. I got it all done! I'm so happy!
I can finally deliver it today or tomorrow. Here are a couple shots.

After washing it it is a bit wider on one end than the other, but oh well. I think it turned out nice, regardless. I just need to warn her about washing it on anything but cold for the first few times b/c I'm paranoid about the brown and green bleeding. It is ~ 36x48"

As a reminder, this is before it was finished and washed, but gives truer colors. I took the current pics with my hubby's point and shoot and it doesn't have very accurate color and the lighting is terrible.

ETA I put on the label. I think it looks good for something thrown together really quick. I would like to start getting the fabric you can print on with a home printer so it looks cleaner, but I didn't have time to get some today.

ashleigh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow!! that is just beautiful, you are so clever! That is something to be passed down the generations, well done you!

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, did you quilt it too? It's beautiful. I really like the fabric too. I made a quilt for my friends baby, it's was a little uneven too, but that's okay. My fiance's grandma taught me to quilt. She's amazing. She's been doing for for years and years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks!! I love it and almost want to keep it. Maybe I'll go buy another one of the kits and make one for myself. lol

Originally Posted by kscatlady

Wow, did you quilt it too? It's beautiful. I really like the fabric too. I made a quilt for my friends baby, it's was a little uneven too, but that's okay. My fiance's grandma taught me to quilt. She's amazing. She's been doing for for years and years.
I did everything myself, short of actually making the fabric and thread. LOL My grandmother was a talented quilter and I never had the chance to learn from her but it must just run in my genes b/c it came pretty naturally to me. I love it, and it is so relaxing! Especially hand stitching the binding on.

I think washing it made it uneven. I hear about 50/50 on whether you should prewash the fabric or not, and I decided not to. It was completely squared up before I washed it, but now it's not. Oh well. You can't really notice unless you try to fold it perfectly.

lovesmycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a beautiful quilt. You did a wonderful job.

I would love to learn how to quilt. Perhaps someday I will.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

Thanks!! I love it and almost want to keep it. Maybe I'll go buy another one of the kits and make one for myself. lol

I did everything myself, short of actually making the fabric and thread. LOL My grandmother was a talented quilter and I never had the chance to learn from her but it must just run in my genes b/c it came pretty naturally to me. I love it, and it is so relaxing! Especially hand stitching the binding on.

I think washing it made it uneven. I hear about 50/50 on whether you should prewash the fabric or not, and I decided not to. It was completely squared up before I washed it, but now it's not. Oh well. You can't really notice unless you try to fold it perfectly.
Yes! The quilting is my favorite part. I was trying to get mine done in time for a baby shower and I stayed up all night trying to get all the binding stitched on...that wasn't so relaxing after a while, lol. Mine was about the size of yours. I didn't wash mine, but it was uneven anyway.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's awesome! Great idea

My mom used to sew clothes for my niece and nephew and put in tags on the collars 'made by grandma'. It adds such a personal touch!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

ETA I put on the label. I think it looks good for something thrown together really quick. I would like to start getting the fabric you can print on with a home printer so it looks cleaner, but I didn't have time to get some today.
I
this.... it is so much more personal than a printed one IMHO.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I
this.... it is so much more personal than a printed one IMHO.
Adding labels are always more personal when it's handmade. My mom use to make her own tags then sew them in.

Great job Kara! You do beautiful work

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Gorgeous Quilt!

I love the stripe of detail you have on the back - it it looks easily reversable.

I know what you mean about pre-washing - I tend to prewash any quilt that's going to see heavy use, but I don't worry about wall hangings. Quilts are just so nice and cuddly when they're a bit wrinkly, though - it gives them that hierloom feel.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

It's just lovely! Something the family will treasure forever. Beautiful work!
I so admire people who can quilt - it takes such a talent to pick all the colors and fabrics and designs.... that is really beautiful!

Got an e-mail from my mom today. She entered three quilts into the Birmingham Guild's June show. And it's the first time she used this expression - I had to ask her what it meant. She said she was taking the 3D UFO challenge. ???????????

Dig Down Deeper and finish those UnFinished Objects!

Laurie