24 hours later and no more babies...are there more?

mum2many

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Siamese/Ragdoll had 1 kitten at 7pm (breach & almost an hour - had to intervene and was in the middle of calling a vet when baby came out and is healthy), then another around midnight, it feels like there's more - atleast one more. I felt movement earlier today, not sure if it was twinges of her uterus contracting back, but after palpating, I'm pretty sure there's atleast one more. 2 kittens is a small litter too. Father was Siamese/Himalayan, mated for two days. It's been 24 hours and no more babies. She doesnt appear in distress, I've been on phone with vet twice today. They recommend an xray ($260 plus tax, plus after hours fee, plus anything extra), and I just dont have that money right now!!! Normally we use our petcard & credit card & savings, but we dont have enough with all that combined at the moment - why on a long weekend?!?! I can drive her to another city 1 1/2 hrs away and get the xray for $60!!! But that will be stressful on her and her current 2 kittens that she is taking care of wonderfully. She has some discharge, kind of watery sometimes, sometimes creamy milky - she cleans it up though quicker than I can to get a good look and sample.
Do you think it's interupted labour? She doesnt appear in distress, this is her first litter, and the first kitten was rough on her (2nd came 5 hours later and came out quickly thank goodness for her!). we try so hard to take care of our animals - even brought our dog in after hours for constipation (we didnt know that's what it was though), so we care, and we are willing to pay $. But our vet (one of the most expensive in area) wants $ up front for emerg. and all weekend long is emerg fee. Plus I think the xray price is RIDICULOUS!
I'm just an amateur breeder, and havent experienced this before, but also never bred this breed before. The stud was huge. She is small, although she's 2 1/2 yrs old.

Any recommendations, reassurance, suggestions, or do you think this is it? I'm not one to palpate because of the controversey, but I did just recently, feels like one, but I havent felt movement when I have my hand on her belly/side. I feel something though, like the shape of a kitten including its head.

Please dont bash me, if she were in need of medical attention, I would take her in regardless of price, but she's happy, she's cuddling her babies, she's not in hard labour (or any for that matter it seems), her babies are content and nursing & cuddling.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats can wait some time with delivering of next kitten. The kittens are in different sacks, thus it is entirely possible.

I remember a very similiar thread on my swedish forum, and most advices were to wait but keep observe, as she was contend and not in distress.
I think this time there werent any extra babies.

The stud was big. How big are these two first babies?

Im perhaps mistaken, but I think the biggest comes usually first.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Since she mated over two days it's possible that kittens were conceived at different times. I only have experience with one stray cat giving birth, but I know that there is occasionally a long gap in the process. As long as momma cat is not in distress and is taking care of her babies, I would think you can wait until regular office hours to take her to the vet. If anything changes, get her to an ER vet any way you can.

Hint: we love baby pictures

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by mum2many

She doesnt appear in distress, I've been on phone with vet twice today. They recommend an xray ($260 plus tax, plus after hours fee, plus anything extra), and I just dont have that money right now!!!
Im thinking, why didnt the vet told you it is a very good bet to wait and see?? And thus giving this as his advice.

I suspect it is the fear of being accused for malpractice, with the in USA extreme high damages-pays.
Thus for him it is better to play it safe, ie recommend the emergency visit and X-rays... So everything will be done according to the book. Not necessary the veterinary book (here are pro- and contras), but the lawyers book...

Sending vibes to cat mom, babies and MOM.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mum2many

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Their rates are 3-5 times higher than vets in other cities. We used to be a bunch of towns and a city, but now we are one whole municipality. The 6 vets which are a corporation, 1 of them is my vet. I didnt know when i first started working with them, but havent been able to find another vet that deals with anything besides livestock around here. It really sucks.

She is still content, she is happy, the 2 babies are actually gaining weight already, they hug each other it looks like, including the mom, it's so beautiful to watch.

They probably wanted me to go in to make some more money off me. They have made thousands off us in just a few visits, for basic things such as after hours fee, vitamin k, deworming, etc... It's ridiculous and not right.

Anyways, I'm riding it out. She's happy. If she shows any signs of distress, then I'll take her to after hours and also write a newspaper article on the ridiculous price the vets charge here as compared to the bigger cities that have more competition. I'm in Ontario canada by the way.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heey fellow Ontarioan

I wouldn't worry if she's acting normal, but just watch for odd behavior and stuff.
She could have just had two, it's quite normal

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mum2many

Their rates are 3-5 times higher than vets in other cities. We used to be a bunch of towns and a city, but now we are one whole municipality. The 6 vets which are a corporation, 1 of them is my vet. I didnt know when i first started working with them, but havent been able to find another vet that deals with anything besides livestock around here. It really sucks.

She is still content, she is happy, the 2 babies are actually gaining weight already, they hug each other it looks like, including the mom, it's so beautiful to watch.

They probably wanted me to go in to make some more money off me. They have made thousands off us in just a few visits, for basic things such as after hours fee, vitamin k, deworming, etc... It's ridiculous and not right.

Anyways, I'm riding it out. She's happy. If she shows any signs of distress, then I'll take her to after hours and also write a newspaper article on the ridiculous price the vets charge here as compared to the bigger cities that have more competition. I'm in Ontario canada by the way.
If you are in the London area, and willing to drive bout 35mins outside of London, my vet is very reasonably priced. Xrays on my dog were $60 for the first, 40 for any additional.

There's a couple clinics around that are soooo expensive. (Glencoe for one...prices are at least double what I pay). I can pm you the clinic name if you would like? (might be cheaper in the long run for shots, spays/neuters, etc.) They do not have emerg hours, for emergs I would have to go into London.