Ally got spayed today

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, my poor little girl is in pain. She got taken in this morning to be spayed (change of schedule - she was originally scheduled for Monday). I got home from MN right afterwards and she was still "out of it" from the anesthesia.

The vet tech said to keep her separated from Ollie, but that would mean that she'd have to be in a room other than where I know she is safe and comfortable. So, instead, I've got her here, and am just going to watch Ollie. I think he's already picked up that she's in pain b/c the one time he went over to play, she briefly hissed, he play bit her on the front leg, and she let out a little "ow" sound. He backed off and has left her alone since then. It's been 3 hours. He just kind of hangs around her but seems to know something is up. If he acts up, I'll put him in another room temporarily. She is the one right now that needs to feel comfortable and safe so she can get good sleep and heal up.

I'm checking the wound periodocially, it looks good. No inflammation yet. No bleeding. They used surgical glue, so no sutures to remove, which is good (no second trip to the vet to scare her).

I've got Buprenex left from her accident and will use it if necessary after 48 hours pass. Until then, using it might be dangerous because they gave her something for pain in the form of a shot and I don't want to cause a CNS depressant overdose.

The one thing that is odd is that she seems REALLY thin all of a sudden. I think she's sucking in her abdomen b/c of pain but I'm not sure. I will be with her 100% of the time for at least the next 48 hours. I've got plenty of DVDs lined up.

Also, while she was under, I had them microchip her with the same brand chip as Ollie. They both have Bayer ResQ chips and I am awaiting the email to register her under my account.

After the 48 hours, I'm going to work on fattening her up. She really needs to put on weight IMO. She looks like she's getting thinner and I don't know why. No worms that I know of. I think she's just not eating as much as she should be. As soon as Ally is in the clear - I'm going to just buy a can of every brand of food they have in Petsmart to see if maybe she just doesn't like her food all of a sudden.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope she recovers quickly and well. She make look thinner, they did remove some inner organs which definitely took some weight away. Good luck, I don't think you'll have any trouble at all putting some weight on her.

Leslie

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Whoah why do you have to wait 48 hours? We usually give them a pain injection for pain but tell people they can give pain meds 6-8 hours afterward... if they used morphine I guess I could see waiting a day... but we use buprenex and again tell owners in 6-8 hours they can have another shot. Why do you have to wait 48 hours? It sounds like it was a good spay [IE: no outside sutures yay!] so at least she should recover pretty quickly!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why do you have to wait 48 hours?
They claim that the pain med they used will stay in her system and be in effect for 48 hours.

I haven't a clue what it is. I'm somewhat curious too, but they were closed by the time I got home and wanted to ask. I will call tomorrow and see if somebody is around.

If I see she is in a lot of pain late tonight or early in the morning, I might call the emergency number. She doesn't seem to be in a HUGE amount of pain right now, so I'm not worried. Whatever they gave her is still working because she can barely stay awake and is very groggy (not in a bad way though).

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They claim that the pain med they used will stay in her system and be in effect for 48 hours.

I haven't a clue what it is. I'm somewhat curious too, but they were closed by the time I got home and wanted to ask. I will call tomorrow and see if somebody is around.
Wow I'd love to know too because that's awesome they have in injection like that, but 48 hours seems so long! I'd just be worried my kitty wasn't 100% pain free you, know?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
the 'thinness' is normal, i think - all of mine looked that way after their spays.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats always look extra skinny right after being spayed...I think it's a combination of being shaved, losing some internal organs, and not eating for 24 hours. I've never had a young cat seem to be in a lot of pain after being spayed. The anesthetic bothers them more than the pain.

As for recent skinniness----she might be getting to that "teenager" stage when they look thin and long-legged. She's the right age for it. Don't try too hard to fatten her up. A slim cat is healthier than a chubby cat.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She's probably acting like she's in pain because she is, but also because of the effects of the anesthesia. Mine are always out of it for about a day when they have any kind of anesthesia. Just make sure she's eating, drinking, and pottying and she'll be fine. Also, keep an eye on that incision for any redness and/or swelling.

Also, she will most likely add weight now that she's spayed, so you don't need to worry about fattening her up. In fact, you'll probably have to watch her intake to make sure she keeps her little kitty figure and doesn't balloon up.

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm ok with letting them eat as much as they want until they're 6 m/o. By then, they'll have a new vet up in MN and we can talk about whether I need to worry about either one being overweight. Ally is definitely not overweight. Ollie is currently a bit on the chubby side. I think he's still getting over being starved as a young kitten. Ally was like that for the first 2 months. She ate ravenously and then slowed down. You gotta remember, when I found her, she was almost dead.

Ollie wasn't nearly as bad, but you all saw the photo of him when he came home. I think once he realizes that there will always be food available for him from now on, he'll slow down. He's only been with me for a little under a month. He's probably still getting used to there being food available whereas before there wasn't (I assume).

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww poor Ally. A spay surgery can be a pretty stressful thing for a little kitten. I was a nervous wreck when Jake got neutered. I'm glad it all went well and I hope she feels 100% comfortable soon!!!!

Ps: I think it's okay to free feed until 18 months until they are fully grown.

PPS: This is off topic: from their pics it looks like Ally has bigger whiskers than Ollie
Are they really bigger?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad they have such a caring guardian! You have been so loving and cautious when it comes to the best for them! I can honestly tell you that they will return the love in every little way they do!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope she continues to recover, sounds like she doesn't have a choice in your hands
Lucky kitty

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

Aww poor Ally. A spay surgery can be a pretty stressful thing for a little kitten. I was a nervous wreck when Jake got neutered. I'm glad it all went well and I hope she feels 100% comfortable soon!!!!

Ps: I think it's okay to free feed until 18 months until they are fully grown.

PPS: This is off topic: from their pics it looks like Ally has bigger whiskers than Ollie
Are they really bigger?
When Ollie got neutered, it was like nothing happened. He was in a little pain, but for the most part, he was good to go. Neutering is fortunately a much easier and less complicated procedure than spaying.

As for the whiskers, bear in mind that the photo of Ally is of her months ago. I'd say right now their whiskers are about the same size. Ally's are cool though because they're both black and white. Ollie's are just white.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

When Ollie got neutered, it was like nothing happened. He was in a little pain, but for the most part, he was good to go. Neutering is fortunately a much easier and less complicated procedure than spaying.

As for the whiskers, bear in mind that the photo of Ally is of her months ago. I'd say right now their whiskers are about the same size. Ally's are cool though because they're both black and white. Ollie's are just white.
When Jake got neutered it was the same way- like nothing happened. I was freaking out about the risk of going under anesthesia though and I kept trying to call the vet's office and see if he's awake, etc. It seems kinda silly now, especially after I remember how he came home and was extremely playful even though just hours early he was drugged...but I was thinking of the worst that could happen....
That's so cool that ally's whiskers are both black and white, I don't think I've ever seen whiskers like this

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

That's so cool that ally's whiskers are both black and white, I don't think I've ever seen whiskers like this
Cable's are like that. probably a black tabby thing.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

Cable's are like that. probably a black tabby thing.
Same thing with Lucky - she has "Zebra" whiskers
LawGuy: Many vibes for sweet Ally - I am glad they are already friends too! . Please do not do anything about Olli's food/weight - he should eat as much as he wants until he is at least 1 yr old.
Congrats on being such a wonderful dad, and all the luck in MN!!

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks. So far I'm letting him eat lots of food and he downs it all.

Ally is really good today. She's not groggy any more. She seems almost normal. She's playful.

One thing that I noticed today though is that she's more affectionate than she was before. I'm not sure if that's because she got spayed, or because now that she's fully aware of things, she's happy that I'm back from my trip.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

Thanks. So far I'm letting him eat lots of food and he downs it all.

Ally is really good today. She's not groggy any more. She seems almost normal. She's playful.

One thing that I noticed today though is that she's more affectionate than she was before. I'm not sure if that's because she got spayed, or because now that she's fully aware of things, she's happy that I'm back from my trip.
I am glad she is doing better today. She is lucky to have you