Feline Herpes & Shelters

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin had a severe URI when he was found last year, caused by herpes. I very much want to adopt a shelter cat, but I'm wondering if Pumpkin's herpes diagnosis alone could cause a shelter to refuse the adoption of a healthy cat?
Originally I was going to pick a kitten.. but as kittens aren't grown enough or haven't been exposed, I'm now thinking it wouldn't be the right decision (and probably wouldn't be allowed anyway). He gets "the winks" every now-and-then (sometimes congestion in his sinuses), but I cater to his health and symptoms. He's active and healthy otherwise. Just recently I read about the benefit of giving Lysine as a supplement. We'll be starting that this week.

What do you think?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feline herpes is so common that I can't imagine a shelter having any problems with your cat. We don't even go in depth about your current animals, except to make sure you know the local laws about maximum numbers.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I wouldn't think so. I mean if they are willing to adopt out herpes positive cats. I think I read that something like 90% of cats carry the virus they just don't all show symptoms much like humans who carry the herpes simplex 1 virus most don't show symptoms but many many carry it.

Lysine has been a life saver in our house. Harley has to take it almost constantly he always has runny eyes, but the lysine helps tremendously. Jack hasn't had a flare up in over a year thank goodness, his are bad.

Leslie

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is estimated that 80%, and maybe as many as 90% of cat are carriers of the Herpes virus - NO WAY the shelter will have an issue with it... I doubt if many of their cats leave the shelter without the virus - very unlikely!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot for the information guys!
Someone at our vet made a comment to me that there might be "resistance" on the part of a shelter or rescue because of Punky's herpes. It really confused me as I thought it was common like you guys are saying.

About Lysine.. I've read the recommended is 500 mg a day. Should I be splitting that up into 250 mg twice a day or just all at once?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yes two doses if possible is best with lysine...

lol one of my vets would like to met a cat without herpes
all four in my sig have it only the one not pictured supposedly does not have it

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say if a shelter refuses than they do not know the statistics on cats with FH. I have heard that almost all cats, but especially shelter cats, have been exposed to FH.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some shelters that are uninformed. A shelter nearby didn't even know what I was talking about. I was concerned as well when I was new to the whole FH thing. I was calling around to see who had FH kitties so i could adopt a friend for Fiona. They had no clue what I was talking about and even asked the animal control officer who was there. She said she has worked in shelters "for years" and never heard of it.

So just be careful and aware that these places do exist and not to let them put you off getting a cat. I can imagine that if it got brought up they may decide to err on the side of caution and NOT adopt out a cat to someone who has a FH cat. Out of ignorance.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

There are some shelters that are uninformed. A shelter nearby didn't even know what I was talking about. I was concerned as well when I was new to the whole FH thing. I was calling around to see who had FH kitties so i could adopt a friend for Fiona. They had no clue what I was talking about and even asked the animal control officer who was there. She said she has worked in shelters "for years" and never heard of it.

So just be careful and aware that these places do exist and not to let them put you off getting a cat. I can imagine that if it got brought up they may decide to err on the side of caution and NOT adopt out a cat to someone who has a FH cat. Out of ignorance.
You know I guess your right, when I think about other people I volunteer with they don't know anything about it. Maybe I just know because Jordan has had two very bad flare ups.