First Show 4/11

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, so we have tortured Zee this morning with pre show prep. Cleaned nail beds, cleaned ears and made sure his nails were trimmed.

In the morning he will be bathed and checked over to make sure he is immaculate. I have to go out and get a small littler pan, and a bed for him. I have small bowls and a blanket he loves.

So any advice you seasoned show veterans want to share?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Relax and try not to be too nervous - the cat will pick up on things. Keep the credit card at home and only take cash to the shows so you don't buy everything you think you "need"!

Take along a book or puzzle book and extra pens. Also circle the rings where you are in the line up (eg. circle all the Kitten spots if you are showing a Kitten). That way you have a general idea of which ring to be in next.

Pay attention to the numbers called and get your cat in the ring as quickly as you can. Judges don't like those "late comers". Tho some seasoned exhibitors will do it on purpose!

Go with the idea of taking home nothing - that way when you win something you will be excited and not disappointed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WOW!!! what a long day. Quite a bit of sitting and thumb twiddling LOL

Zee was in six rings and got one final, 7th best kitten. Not to bad for a first show. The competition was tough because there were many people there trying to get a few points because the season is almost over.

Zee was the only naked kitten, so of course he got first and best of everything in all six rings for his breed

Not a bad experience. I am going to show him again, see if anything lightens up since it will be the start of a new show season next month. I was told by many that it is a little easier at the beginning of a show season, not such a blood bath hahahahahaha

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!!!! His breeder was pleased. She said it took her some time to get a final, so he did well for his first try and with a tough crowd.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Next month!!!! LOL Yes I have been bitten. I want to see how my little man does at the beginning of a season. Next time I am going to take a ton of pics

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anita1216

Next month!!!! LOL Yes I have been bitten. I want to see how my little man does at the beginning of a season. Next time I am going to take a ton of pics
Can't wait for pics! Love the naked butts. Don't think there will be any at the show I'm going to this weekend! Good luck for next month!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats Zee....Yes, April shows are the "blood bath" shows. Jack got a 9th best AB kitten at his first show (he had 2 other Oci's competing). We will see at this show end of the month - its the final show of the season. More/less a practice one for ACFA.

He's got 3 kitten shows lined up now for the new season (May).

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats Anita,
I was told that its easier at the start of the season also.
You were lucky he was the only sphynx.
You can tell when people hate each other also.
They were giving each other dirty looks and telling me not to talk to certain people. When is the next show?
There were three sphynx in kitten class when we went.
Did you see any other sphynx in the other classes?

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anita1216

Not a bad experience. I am going to show him again, see if anything lightens up since it will be the start of a new show season next month. I was told by many that it is a little easier at the beginning of a show season, not such a blood bath hahahahahaha
Glad you had a good show experience! You might want to try to go to shows with specialty rings (LH/SH, not AB) that way he won't be competing with the longhairs and thus have a higher chance of making finals. Also, older kittens tend to do better as a whole because they are more developed.

I would also wait until May to show again, these next two weekends are very tough and I'd hate to see you turned off from the show experience. I personally plan to sit them out as well

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Jacky- there were some other adult nakeds there. Very beautiful cats.

The show in Ann Arbor is May 9th I believe. I will double check that. I will definately look into puting him into some more specialty classes. You can really tell who loves long hairs and who loves the short hairs. Kinda interesting to watch the judges.

While long haired cats are totally gorgeous to look at..to much grooming for me LOL I saw this black perisan with these stunning gold eyes...just incredible, but the work his/her owner did to get him ready......

Shows are fun. It is a long day, but it was not so bad. I just ignored the "catty" chat
I am only showing my pet, no breeder interest here. makes it easier for me. I have nothing to prove, just there to have a good time.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good attitude Anita - that's what it should be - about fun - for you and the cat. I quit showing for about 10 yrs cause it was no longer fun. Too much back stabbing (the cat enjoyed it).

When you get to the point where you care more about the wins then about meeting new people and helping them with their cats (like talking to the spectators and explaining things), then its time to get out. I know some people that will do anything to get a win and don't care what they do to get it!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anita,
We are going May 9th to Fresno.
I was talking to some of the breeders of other breeds and they they were thought sphynx need baths every day. There were so many Persians there.
It is fun showing but embarrassing when a cat hisses at a judge even though the other cats cased it.
I think there will be a lot of Rexes at the next show.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I watched so many of those breeders get irked that their cat or kitten was not called back for a final..it just seems pointless to me. I know things like this are important as a breeder, to have awards and recognition from peers and cat fanciers that you are breeding true to standards. I just could not do something weekend after weekend that made me as miserable as some of these people seemed.

I was happy that Zee got the final that he did, made me very proud of him. He is a good boy with potential to maybe be a Grand Premier someday. We will see how things go at the next show!!!

Thank you to all of you. I appreciate the support