Kitty not playing!

spoiled22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got a 9 week old himalayan kitten almost a week ago. He's soooo friendly and cuddly. He immidiately stopped eating when I brought him home and started getting weak within the first couple of days. I assumed it was normal and he was just trying to adjust until he would barely stay awake and was becomming very weak. I took him to the vet and they kept him for 2 night and force fed and injected him to hydrate him and bring him back. i brought him back home yesterday and he's alott better now. he's eating alot as well. However he's not very curious and doesnt play very much. He mostly eats, poos, pees and looks for my lap or my laptop(its warm) so he can sleep on it. He's much more alert and energetic but he mostly just sits and watches others rather than get involved in anything. Ive been told this breed of cat is naturally more calm but I'm wondering if this is it or should i be giving him more time to adjust? I guess it's understandable since I only recently got him but I was wondering if anyone else has an thoughts?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He just needs some time to adjust to a new house... It can take a week or two for him to feel comfortable with his new surroundings. One thing I find is strange though, is the fact that he is so young... He should been with the breeder for another 3 weeks. Watch him closely - if he stops eating again, and becomes lethargic, call the vet.
Good luck and congrats with the new kitten! Please post pictures!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spoiled22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet just said he was stressed and needs to be force fed until he learns that the food is doing him good. It worked apparently. I'm so very happy. He's sleeping right now and he looks like a white slipper on my pillow.
I'm having trouble putting up his picture. I'm not sure why but its not letting me paste or load images. How do you guys do it? because I have to show you! He's so cute!

spoiled22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had no idea it was too early for him to be adopted. I thought it was normal for kittens to be ready at around 8 weeks. If I knew I wouldn't have taken him so early.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you need first to upload the picture at a site like photobucket.com, and then you copy the "forum code", and paste it on your post... Photobucket is free

spoiled22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt44/spoiled22/?action=view&current=IMAGE_144.jpg

http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt44/spoiled22/?action=view&current=IMAGE_149.jpg

he's super fluffy with bright blue eyes! the picture is a bit blurry because I took it with my phone. I'll upload better ones soon.
By the way, he started playing today. He has alot of energy, he's walking around and exploring. He's eating alot more and walking on my key board and trying to catch my fingures as I type. I'm so very happy

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww.... adorable even when blurry. Glad to hear that he's playing, now!
Did you name him yet?

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, what a sweet little blur - can't wait to see more pictures! In a perfect world, babies would stay with their moms til 12-16 weeks, but, hey, it's not a perfect world and at least this baby has found a wonderful home. I didn't know 12 weeks was a good time until after I got my cats -and I think lots of people have been told 8 weeks is fine.

Best wishes for a long healthy life full of play with you.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He looks gorgeous, so far!

The stress of being separated from mom so suddenly probably upset his digestion, and at that age, they are still nursing and might not even recognize cat food as "food." I'm glad he's doing so much better.

spoiled22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His name is Nemo. LOL I take back all the concerns about him not playing. He was climbing and jumping on me ALL NIGHT! I finally gave up when he ended up sleeping directly on my face, as long as he would sleep... i didnt care where he would sleep. lol He's eating like a piggy now and poops alot, but his bum is a bit red. It happened once when he was staying at the animal hospital because his system was flushing but it went away. it's happening a bit more now. I'm sure it's because of all the pooping but it is something i should worry about? I wash and keep it clean (he HATES the water) the doctor said we should wait for it to go down on its own the first time and it did. But its happening again (not as bad as the first time). I hope his bum isnt hurting.

spoiled22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just like the name because of "finding nemo" the cartoon. Its extra cute when he's playing somewhere i cant see him... then i'm finding nemo. Nemo means nobody? I had no idea. well that's not the intention at all.
He's definately somebody in my house, he's been running the house for a few days now

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spoiled22

I just like the name because of "finding nemo" the cartoon. Its extra cute when he's playing somewhere i cant see him... then i'm finding nemo. Nemo means nobody? I had no idea. well that's not the intention at all.
He's definately somebody in my house, he's been running the house for a few days now
actually, it has several meanings:
  1. Hebrew: God's compassion
  2. Spanish: Justice
  3. Latin: No name; nobody
i'd just go w/the 1st or 2nd meaning [besides the cartoon, which everyone will probably assume!] - glad to hear he's doing better, & can't wait for the promised additional pix!

spoiled22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

newkitten0309

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for posting new pictures of Nemo. He is beautiful and the YouTube video was adorable.