Oklahoma members

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully everyone and their families are safe! The whole state is having problems with fires due to our current high winds. Towns are being evacuated and interstates shut down.

http://www.kwtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10159040

http://newsok.com/roads-closed-homes...=breaking_news

The one near Stillwater is really bad. The winds have turned around a few times making it difficult to control and very dangerous. At one point the fire was 25 miles long and 10 miles wide.

My area is fine, but hazy from the smoke from Elk City. There's supposed to be more fires breaking out in the Metro and fire crews are already stretched thin.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's very smokey here, too. There are fires west of Fort Worth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

It's very smokey here, too. There are fires west of Fort Worth.
It doesn't surprise me that Texas is getting some of this, parts of Kansas probably are, too.

What are the winds like down there? Here it's averaging 40-55mph gust (not that there's really any space between gusts) with it up to 70-74mph in some areas. Where I'm at is getting 63mph gusts. Metal siding and shingles are being torn off homes! And it's already knocked the power out once today.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!!!! Keep safe everyone!!! Say a prayer to send some
for the
!!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending major prayers and vibes out to Oklahoma. Wildfires are so especially terrible - I feel so badly for all the animals who will undoubtably perish so horrifically

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, we know Telynn made it through. That still leaves a couple people, correct?

To make Thursday's fires worse, one of the largest ones is believed to have been intentionally set. Around 50 homes burned from it.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My sister lives in Choctaw, and the fires came within a mile or so of her home. This is the second time this has happened there; last time, someone was killed in their home just a few blocks from where she lives.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know someone in Choctaw who had to evacuate the other night. But luckly her house made it intact and she is back home.

They are saying the arson was maybe some kids playing in a field near their school.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

They are saying the arson was maybe some kids playing in a field near their school.
What I heard on the news wasn't arson or even that they remotely suspected malicious intent. That a couple of teens were seen a little while before the fire started.

My guess is someone flicked a cigarette butt down if anything.