Can you tell your cats apart by the sound of their walk?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can. Scratch wears a bell and you can hear it ring and Squee's nails click on the linoleum when she walks. It sounds like she's wearing high heels!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They both wear tags that can jingle if they're not being QUIET, so that's no giveaway, and ordinarily they are quite inaudible. But if you actually hear a cat walking in our house, it will be Cindy, in a snit, and stomping around.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I can tell and often guess and I am right, Mario is easy he pops when he walks
Sev is purring from a mile away, Pepino is usually flying into a room
Joey walks so heavy, like he weighs 100 lbs!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fiona clicks when she walks too! I have her nails clipped but they still make noise.

ReeRee has a very distinct walk because he has cerebral hypoplasia and walks like a newborn deer or a drunk person
and he has a very heavy walk.

Rocko is quiet...yet he is the biggest!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The black cats, yes. They are both heavy walkers. Good thing they are indoor cats because they couldn't sneak up on anything if they tried.

The calicos and Ophelia? Can't tell them apart because you can't hear them walk. They are the super-sleuths!

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1.) If it sounds like a small pony; its Taz, my 20 poung (big, not fat) 11 year old neutered tom.

2.) If there's a bit of sound with an odd cadence; its Kasey, the 15 pound 8 to 10 year old rescue torti, she has an old left rear leg/hip injury that accounts for the odd cadence (She has been checked by the vet, she is on Dr. Maggie's Joint Formula amd is doing very well with the leg).

3.) If you don't hear anything; its Morgan, the 10 year old "tudeo" cat, she is the stealthy and graceful, perfectly proportioned mini-cougar

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Bru is the heavy walker. He is very long and lean . I guess all that muscle is heavy...lol. He weighed 11.8 at the vet 2 weeks ago but when he walks in the room it sounds like a 100 pounder like someone else said. it's amazing. I never had a cat walk like him.

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

I can. Scratch wears a bell and you can hear it ring and Squee's nails click on the linoleum when she walks. It sounds like she's wearing high heels!
The only one I can ID by the sound of his walk is Trace, because of the missing leg. But I CAN tell by the "thump" exactly which one has just jumped off a table or the kitchen counter.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Much tends to click her nails when she walks.

Lucy goes "thud, thud, thud"

Carly I don't hear at all.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joey had lightly clicking paw pads when he walks. JC stomps & sounds like a grown man when he makes noise, otherwise, he is perfectly silent when in stealth mode, like a ghost. I can also tell Andrea because she sounds like the full-figured girl that she is.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can always tell when Twitch walks - she has a notable limp (thanks to being declawed). Lily has luxating patellas, so she walks out of step. And Margo stomps like an elephant. Now when Squishy's inside, he can move incredibly quietly, esp. for a 20 lb cat! The rest of them always walk on carpet, so you can't hear them.

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nope, not really. Most of the floors are carpeted, and they all make no noise for the most part as they're silent stalkers.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't hear my girls unless they are tearing around the apartment chasing each other. At that time they sound like a herd of elephants!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't all make noise when they walk, some of the bells on the collars stopped jingling and their feet don't make any noise. However I can tell the ones that do have jingly bells apart by the sound of the bell.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my girls are very silent when they are walking.

However, I can tell them apart by the sounds of: eating, drinking, meowing, using the litter box, and by where each jumps up on the bed and settles down.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have carpets so don't hear them walk, but I can always tell who's jumped onto the bed - Stumpy has a bell, Smudge THUMPS when she jumps up, and if a cat appears out of nowhere, it's Lily
Same with if we're downstairs - if we hear a THUD from upstairs, we know Smudge has just jumped down from something (even if she's not very high up). The poor girl has no grace

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I can pretty much tell who it is. I have hardwood floors which makes it really easy to hear Pixie coming because she had one weird claw that clicks on the floor. Linus runs everywhere he goes and sounds like an elephant and Sassy is the quietest. Sassy is the hardest because he sneaks up on you so you never know whether he's on the move or not.