TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Did he or did he Not Bow
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Did he or did he Not Bow - Page 2

post #31 of 44
You are right - women do curtesy to the Queen. As Americans you don't have to bow way down, but a small nod of respect is ok and maybe a little curtesy.

I think what they were talking about the US prez was you do not do a DEEP bow to another head of state/country.
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom View Post
he gave the Queen an iPod filled with his speeches along with some music. OK, the autographed song book was cool, but the iPod? Classless.
I have yet to read anywhere that it was filled with his speeches, but rather that it had videos and photographs from her 1957 and 2007 visits to Virginia.
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteforest View Post
I have yet to read anywhere that it was filled with his speeches, but rather that it had videos and photographs from her 1957 and 2007 visits to Virginia.
Here ya go!

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...oes-one-g.html

Quote:
Uploaded onto the iPod:

Photos from the Queen's 2007 White House State Visit
Photos from the Queen's 2007 Jamestown, Va., Visit
Photos from the Queen's 2007 Richmond, Va., Visit
Video from the Queen's 1957 Jamestown Visit
Video from the Queen's 2007 Jamestown Visit
Video from the Queen's 2007 Richmond Visit
Photos from President Obama's Inauguration
Audio of then-state senator Obama's speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, and
Audio of President Obama 2009 Inauguration Address
Note, this is from ABC News website!
post #34 of 44
I love show tunes, and I'd love to have an iPod with all that music. He can keep the speeches though, as well as the photos.
post #35 of 44
I don't have a problem with the ipod gift so much, because the ipod itself wasn't really the gift. It was just the device the real gift was stored on. Now if you thought the content was or wasn't a good gift, then there's the debate. The ipod itself was no big deal. I haven't really made up my mind on that one yet.
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom View Post
I notice the Saudi King didn't bow back!

He needs to be coached in advance the proper greeting for each dignitary, and it may vary from one to another. That is the job of his Chief of P-R-O-T-O-C-O L !

And concerning the "common folk" part, I don't agree. Clinton was much more likable and had charisma. Obama is the only President since Nixon that I can say with conviction will lie to save face and over the most ridiculous things. At least Bush and Clinton could laugh at themselves once in awhile. This Obozo is a snob with no sense of humor and a hugely inflated ego he will protect at all costs.
What????? Clinton didn't lie and cheat? That's not according to news reports we got in Canada. Did Bill Clinton not lie when he straight faced said "I did not have sex with that woman"? He certainly was likeable and had charisma for a number of women apparently. He humiliated his wife publicly - I don't have much respect for a man like that so I have to disagree with you and say that Clinton lied to save face as did Nixon of course.
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
You are right - women do curtesy to the Queen. As Americans you don't have to bow way down, but a small nod of respect is ok and maybe a little curtesy.

I think what they were talking about the US prez was you do not do a DEEP bow to another head of state/country.
I am not certain but I believe a lady must do more than a "little" curtsey and men have to do more than a "small" nod.
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom View Post
Here ya go!
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...oes-one-g.html
Note, this is from ABC News website!
Thank you. The publications I'd seen were from the LATimes and similar papers.

I still don't think that the iPod was a terrible gift because it was more about the content. I think the DVD's were a little strange, because I don't even like getting DVD's as a gift. Though I will say that I lived in England for a while and had 3 US DVD's mailed to me in a care package from my mother and I was able to watch them fine. Same with the DVD's I brought home from England. I was able to watch them on a US player despite the format. These are more examples, IMO, of people making mountains out of molehills. Let's be realistic here. Would the same thing be such an issue had he given a deep bow before meeting the Queen or another person of royal stature outside the Middle East? Probably not. I mean, why isn't everyone so outraged about Michele touching the Queen? Just my opinion, but I think this is only coming up because it's Barack and a member of Middle Eastern royalty. (Think about all the emails during the campaign that went around stating that Obama was a Muslim terrorist.) Blame the staffers for not telling him what the protocol is for meeting the Saudi king. He's still new at this job.
post #39 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteforest View Post

I mean, why isn't everyone so outraged about Michele touching the Queen? Just my opinion, but I think this is only coming up because it's Barack and a member of Middle Eastern royalty. (Think about all the emails during the campaign that went around stating that Obama was a Muslim terrorist.) Blame the staffers for not telling him what the protocol is for meeting the Saudi king. He's still new at this job.

But who hired the staffers? The buck stops on Obama's desk. This is just one more example of inexperience and him being in over his head. Unfortunately most of his cabinets picks have been a disaster, especially Geithner.

And yes, Michelle made a gaffe of her own when she touched the Queen.
post #40 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut0pia View Post
I thought the ipod wasn't a terrible gift, but the fact that it was filled with his speeches made it ridiculous...
I have heard that the gift was vetted before it was given, and the Queen's staff specifically approved it and its contents.

As to the bow, Obama has risen extremely quickly and has little experience in protocol. It's not traditional for the U.S. President to bow or otherwise appear subservient. However, he's not the first to mess up like that, and I suspect he'll learn.

All that assumes he wasn't just leaning down to pick up his Blackberry!

The fact that his press secretary can't seem to get the story straight is of some concern.

As to Clinton, even his friends say that he will lie when there is no reason to do so, that it is habitual with him.
post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom View Post
But who hired the staffers? The buck stops on Obama's desk. This is just one more example of inexperience and him being in over his head. Unfortunately most of his cabinets picks have been a disaster, especially Geithner.

And yes, Michelle made a gaffe of her own when she touched the Queen.
Maybe they just retained the former White House staffers! Recall Former Pres. G.W. Bush at the White House recalling that the Queen helped the US celebrate their Bicentennial in 1796 (instead of 1976) and then WINKING at her To top it off, when the Queen made her toast to the USA, she was the only one who stood ----so much for being a country gentleman, even a ranch hand from Dyer, NV or Mono County, CA would have stood for any lady rising to give a toast
Anyway, the BBC had written a bemusing article on that:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6637549.stm
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I am not certain but I believe a lady must do more than a "little" curtsey and men have to do more than a "small" nod.
IMO, President Obama bowed too deeply. The First Lady is not supposed to curtsey to anyone and as for her touching the Queen, apparently, the Queen touched Mrs. Obama first.
It's supposed to be an American thing, that the Anglos learned from the natives when they got here - the natives didn't understand the concept of royalty.
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknowme View Post
To top it off, when the Queen made her toast to the USA, she was the only one who stood ----so much for being a country gentleman, even a ranch hand from Dyer, NV or Mono County, CA would have stood for any lady rising to give a toast

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6637549.stm
Actually, the recipient of a toast NEVER stands! So it sounds like his protocol people got it exactly right.
post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknowme View Post
Maybe they just retained the former White House staffers! Recall Former Pres. G.W. Bush at the White House recalling that the Queen helped the US celebrate their Bicentennial in 1796 (instead of 1976) and then WINKING at her To top it off, when the Queen made her toast to the USA, she was the only one who stood ----so much for being a country gentleman, even a ranch hand from Dyer, NV or Mono County, CA would have stood for any lady rising to give a toast
Anyway, the BBC had written a bemusing article on that:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6637549.stm
As Mrblanche said, the recipient of the toast never stands so no protocol was broken there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknowme View Post
IMO, President Obama bowed too deeply. The First Lady is not supposed to curtsey to anyone and as for her touching the Queen, apparently, the Queen touched Mrs. Obama first.
It's supposed to be an American thing, that the Anglos learned from the natives when they got here - the natives didn't understand the concept of royalty.
I would like to see that in writing because I do believe even other lesser royalty have to curtsy to the queen. I could well be wrong but I'd like to see where it says the First Lady is not supposed to curtsy to anyone because I don't think that is true.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Did he or did he Not Bow