Cat Attacks Dog

telsiph

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Afternoon All,

Odd situation I'm sure. I recently raised a Vizla/Lab mix puppy for about a year, who is quite loving and outgoing. Approximately 2 months ago I adopted an 8 year old black cat from some friends who were no longer able to care for him. He is an older cat, obviously, and is incredibly large. I would give him about 2 feet long without including the tail (approximations of course) and is hands down the largest cat I've ever seen.

Obvious issues occurred to begin with, the dog being quite playful and wanting a new friend continued to approach the cat, and the cat would lash out and attack him. They are both neutered, and the cat has it's front claws declawed (only reason I would take him, as my poor dog would probably have a destroyed nose by now if not). Being an older cat, he is very set in his ways (only eat certain food, drinks running water, and apparently not a fan of dogs).

I am unable to get these 2 to get along properly, the cat is incredibly sweet and loving under any other circumstance, however continues to lash out at the dog even though the dog has clearly learned to give him at least a good 2 feet (for instance, if the cat is on a table, and the dog proceeds to walk by the table, the cat will rush to the edge of the table and begin attacking and hissing, causing quite a stir). At this point I am wondering if the cat is just on a power trip, being dominate as the dog is *very* submissive and is just wanting to make friends, and will bolt the second the cat attacks. However of course, being a curious dog, continues to attempt to make friends every day wondering if itll be "ok" today.

If anyone has any information on how to get the cat to adjust to perhaps even the point of tolerating the dog at this age, I would be appreciative. It's been almost 2 months, there has been improvement since the beginning. (Cat wouldn't come down from the highest point in my house during the first few weeks, however they can now be on the same level, just not within a few feet of each other) However at this point we appear to be at a stand-still as my house has some rather narrow corridors and if they both wish to pass at the same time (or follow me into a room) a Battle Royale ensues. Thank you for your time!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have to see what the cat sees. A much bigger being! They are two different species with different languages also. It takes a while to get it through their heads what the boundries are. Not knowing exactly what the cat is doing to the dog makes it hard to tell if she really HATES him or is just defending herself and making her boundries clear. But if she really was unhappy you'd probably know because she'd probably be not using her litter box and leaving you gifts around the house.

She is also declawed which is scary, she KNOWS she has a disadvantage against this big dog. She is probably being extra cautious till she really knows what he is capable of. The Viszla's and lab's are very physical dogs and he is still a puppy with puppy energy and spunk. The cats just telling him to cool it! she is not a toy!

Also, dogs are pack animals. She wants to be dominate and it's probably best if she is so feed her before the dog gets fed and greet her before the dog gets greeted etc. He'll get the picture that she is the boss and it will make her feel more secure hopefully.

As long as the dog is being cool with her being her and she is okay putting up with him, give it TIME. It can be harder on us than it is them...thats for sure!

Do you have pics??

nannerpuss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a part Siamese cat & part ?? who would attack any dog that came on the property. I got her when she was a kitten & she did this from the day she met our large but very gentle mutt..he got scratched many times & she would go after any dog no matter how large..she was lucky & never got bit by one of them. Why she did this is a good question. She was the Queen here & all the animals knew it. She is still the Queen. Good luck with the 2 of them.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We also had a dog attacking cat. Our late great Gracie who was a 6 lb perisan mix, competant hunter, and dog attacker!

The only reason we got her was that the HS refused to allow her to go to any dog owning homes. The lady in front of me in line recommended her saying "I would take her home but I have 3 labs already," and pointed out her cage where I had not seen her 'cause it was hidden behind another.

She growled when the dogs in the kennel barked. I even told the shelter volunteer, 'that's okay my Dad hates dogs too, we're never getting one,'

Because we dodn't have dogs, it took several years for us to truly understand the pathological hate this cat (otherwise smart and loving) posessed towards any animal of the canine persuasion.

We live in VT in the country (read suburbs) where people think their dog should be allowed everywhere they are! I wasn't there but heard the after report of the event.

a friend +kids + 1 large golden retriever stopped by to visit (they didn't ask to bring over the dog -their fault!). No sooner than the dog jumped out of the car than 6 pounds of feline flew out of the bushes and landed on its head, clearly intent on a kill. Poor dog cried and ran back into the Volvo faster than you can imagine.

We adopted Gracie at 4 years age and have no idea if there was some event from her previous life that spured this behavior. Some of the info on her shelter profile was clearly lies for the benefit of adopting her out (said she was indoor only, but was determined to be out, plus a proficient hunter.) Of if it can be changed in other cats with a similar mindset regarding dogs?

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also have a 5-6 mo old kitten that I rescued from my barn. I've had her in the back bedroom for about 4-5 wks. I'd love to keep her in the house as I love her so much. I've tried to let her be around my 4 dogs, but she hates them and they want to eat her, (no kidding, they aren't playing). I've tried working with the smell of each other, I sit on the couch with the kitten in my arms and I allow the dogs to lay down on the couch next to me. That is ok with 2 of my girls. The moment the kitten sees the dog, she wants to attack. I don't think keeping her in a bedroom for her life is the way to be. she does have more toys and cat houses and climbing things then the dogs. she can jump over the gate and come and go as she wants (throughout the house), but if she sees anyone buy me she runs right back into the bedroom. I may have to put her back in the barn with the other barn cats.

Mary

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lostmary

I also have a 5-6 mo old kitten that I rescued from my barn. I've had her in the back bedroom for about 4-5 wks. I'd love to keep her in the house as I love her so much. I've tried to let her be around my 4 dogs, but she hates them and they want to eat her, (no kidding, they aren't playing). I've tried working with the smell of each other, I sit on the couch with the kitten in my arms and I allow the dogs to lay down on the couch next to me. That is ok with 2 of my girls. The moment the kitten sees the dog, she wants to attack. I don't think keeping her in a bedroom for her life is the way to be. she does have more toys and cat houses and climbing things then the dogs. she can jump over the gate and come and go as she wants (throughout the house), but if she sees anyone buy me she runs right back into the bedroom. I may have to put her back in the barn with the other barn cats.

Mary
Of course she hates four dogs that act like they are "going to eat her". She's reacting with fear aggression - totally understandable. Since you rescued her from your barn and she's taken so well to being indoors, I hope you decide to rehome her instead of returning her to the place where she needed rescuing from in the first place.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your cat and my Pumpkin have a lot in common here!
When I adopted Pumpkin they told me he was indifferent about dogs, didn't even really acknowledge their existence. The first time he saw Mojo at home (who was sitting calmly a good six feet away) he flew out of my arms without warning, a tornado of hissing, clawing and biting- complete "kick you a**" mode. That is how he ended up treating all of the dogs in the house.

Just like your dog, everyone learned to go the long way to get to where they needed to go.
We jokingly called the random violence "going feral".

One little thing that helped immensely was putting Kita's trustworthiness on display. A few times a day I'd take her to wherever Pumpkin was and have her follow commands/do tricks for short 15 minute sessions. He eventually realized that I was the one who was in control of her and how willing she was to be controlled. He is almost 100% fine with Kita now. (Mojo is much less compliant than she, so they are still a work in progress.)

Maybe this is something you can experiment with also. Kita learned a all sorts of new tricks, too, and has gotten really great at targeting.. an added bonus!

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittybernard

Of course she hates four dogs that act like they are "going to eat her". She's reacting with fear aggression - totally understandable. Since you rescued her from your barn and she's taken so well to being indoors, I hope you decide to rehome her instead of returning her to the place where she needed rescuing from in the first place.
I plan on keeping her, either in the house or the barn. I prefer the house, but we will see. All my barn cats are rescues, and all but one are allowed in the house at different times. I've tamed and had nuetered some of the males that hang around the house. They have it great at my place. THey have cat houses on my front porch, fans in their feeding room, in the winter heated water dished, and in the summer, they get ice in their water a couple of times a day. I've brought in one of my barn cats, Gray Cat, to hang out with the kitten, and they did really great together. I know if I tell GC to watch over the kitten she will, she is a very talented girl. When one of the others goes off for a day or so, I'll tell GC to go find them and bring them home, and withing about 2 hrs. they both will be back. Amazing I know..but she is my baby. So, I know she would take care of the kitten. Her sibling has been adopted by my daughter and is doing great as an indoor cat only.

Mary
PS> I was never a cat lover until I rescued 2 black cats from a TNR group. the woman who runs it said when I open the cages, back off, they would try to kill me. No way. they curled up by me and have been with me since.