What a ham...

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today I pick up a ham from my local wegmans since it was on sale for 99 cents a pound. Figured I would cut it up for sandwiches. Anyways, I get home, open it, rinse it off, and lo and behold, Diva wants some. So I give her a tiny piece. She goes NUTS for this. Now everytime I get the ham out, she starts getting all in my face and starts meowing with a real demanding, "gimme some NOW" type meow.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ham is okay in VERY small amounts... it is high in PRESERVATIVES and SALT so generally not good for kitty

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, and I keep telling Dharma she can only have a teeny tiny bit every other month - but it's turned out that it's better for me to have ham outside my home...otherwise she's just watching for a chance to grab a slice.

I will give her a little turkey or chicken, without seasonings, now and again - that rocks her world too. But, I want to know what her fascination with gyros is - I won't give her any, but yet another food item that I now eat away from home.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had ham-obsessed kitties, but Cindy and Fawn are not. They basically don't care about human food for the most part -- though Cindy will ask for a bit of butter now and then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I know, and I keep telling Dharma she can only have a teeny tiny bit every other month - but it's turned out that it's better for me to have ham outside my home...otherwise she's just watching for a chance to grab a slice.

I will give her a little turkey or chicken, without seasonings, now and again - that rocks her world too. But, I want to know what her fascination with gyros is - I won't give her any, but yet another food item that I now eat away from home.
She loves chicken. I keep a cooked breast in the fridge with no seasonings that I cut up and put some in her dish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scottf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I have had ham-obsessed kitties, but Cindy and Fawn are not. They basically don't care about human food for the most part -- though Cindy will ask for a bit of butter now and then.
Butter, thats funny

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read that some people will put a little butter on a pill they need to give their cat - sometimes it actually gets the pill into said cat!

calismom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that loves spagetti. When I cook it she smells it and comes running and climbs up my leg to get some! My other cat guardian is a egg fan he loves eggs cooked or uncooked and has found out how to pop the fridge and help himself to the raw eggs! we have had to start keeping them in the store bought package to keep him out of them. funny thing is I could have a fully cooked steak in there that he could eaisly eat but he goes for the eggs instead!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Cindy will ask for a bit of butter now and then.
My MIL's cat is butter obsessed! They keep the butter in an upper kitchen cabinet... One time I went to grab something else from the cupboard and found Raz in there with a half eaten stick of butter.
How he managed to get closed in there with his favorite people "snack" I'll never know.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

My MIL's cat is butter obsessed! They keep the butter in an upper kitchen cabinet... One time I went to grab something else from the cupboard and found Raz in there with a half eaten stick of butter.
How he managed to get closed in there with his favorite people "snack" I'll never know.
I wouldn't call Cindy "butter obsessed" -- she does ask for it, but not always and, even though I only give her a tiny gob, it is possible to give her more than she wants, in which case she just stops eating and walks away.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I give Bijou a bit of butter every couple weeks - I figure it helps take care of hairballs as well as any of the other stuff they sell at the pet store.

Originally Posted by calismom

I have a cat that loves spagetti. When I cook it she smells it and comes running and climbs up my leg to get some! My other cat guardian is a egg fan he loves eggs cooked or uncooked and has found out how to pop the fridge and help himself to the raw eggs! we have had to start keeping them in the store bought package to keep him out of them. funny thing is I could have a fully cooked steak in there that he could eaisly eat but he goes for the eggs instead!
OMG, I have had 2 cats that love spaghetti and meatballs. One cat (Ebony) was so bad that I had to actually cut up some spaghetti noodles and meatballs in smaller pieces and give him his portion before we could eat. He went nuts for it.

My special rainbow bridge kitty, Susie the Siamese, loved curried chicken. Must have been the Thai in her.