Are their risk with feeding grain free to a male?

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is neutered and almost 4{this Aug} his sister turns 4 next week.

I am still on the hunt for a secondary kibble and may try again a grain free option however are their any issues i should be worried about with this style of food with my boy?

Thanks.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am sure Sharky will be along shortly to give her perspective, but I wanted to chime in and say that this is of interest to me as well. I feed a premium dry food (as well as canned food) to my guys; I've considered a grain-free dry, but like you, I have some concerns.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes Sharky is our guru but I will tell you my vet told me to keep an eye on Bijou when I changed to Orijen. Sharky knows all the medical reasons so I'll let her chime in with knowledgeable information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Yes Sharky is our guru but I will tell you my vet told me to keep an eye on Bijou when I changed to Orijen. Sharky knows all the medical reasons so I'll let her chime in with knowledgeable information.
Thank you, may i ask what exactly you were supposed to keep an eye on?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Grain free and the male cat

I will try to explain this in a simple yet educated way

grain free DRY foods have EXCESSIVELY Higher levels of Calcium ,Phosphorus most have higher than UTI "safe" levels of Magnesium

this is a MADE UP example

grain free calcium min2.5 , phos min 1.9 , mag max .12

UTI friendly calcium max 1.0 , phos max .9 , magnesium max .085

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Grain free and the male cat

I will try to explain this in a simple yet educated way

grain free DRY foods have EXCESSIVELY Higher levels of Calcium ,Phosphorus most have higher than UTI "safe" levels of Magnesium

this is a MADE UP example

grain free calcium min2.5 , phos min 1.9 , mag max .12

UTI friendly calcium max 1.0 , phos max .9 , magnesium max .085
So what does this mean Sharkey? I thought it was better to feed healthy cats a more "meaty" food with less grain and fillers, but are you implying that cheap grainy food is better?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

So what does this mean Sharkey? I thought it was better to feed healthy cats a more "meaty" food with less grain and fillers, but are you implying that cheap grainy food is better?
both have pros and cons... for me I am mixing both( as I have two with PH issues that got worse on NO grain dry ) and increasing wet and homemade/ raw / freeze dried

Meat based food in a moist base ie wet food is better for overall health ... In a dry form it has some IMHO major cons for a male cat or a female with uti issues

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have recently started adding some grain food in with Bijou's Orijen. I got some samples at the 2 pet shows I was at recently so I'm trying them out to see if he likes them. I also toss in about 10 pieces of SD T/D to help with any teeth issues since Sharky says it's been proven to be of some help.

I may have to find another wet food as well since I understand Merricks is going up in price to $1.89 a can in Canada and $1.15 in the US. (5 oz can.).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I have recently started adding some grain food in with Bijou's Orijen. I got some samples at the 2 pet shows I was at recently so I'm trying them out to see if he likes them. I also toss in about 10 pieces of SD T/D to help with any teeth issues since Sharky says it's been proven to be of some help.

I may have to find another wet food as well since I understand Merricks is going up in price to $1.89 a can in Canada and $1.15 in the US. (5 oz can.).
so what did you get for samples? and yikes on the merrick, mine won't eat their wet but my dogs do.. it's over $3CAD for a tin of it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
?? for the Canadians HOW much is go naturals ?? or now ??

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just bought a small bag of Now! kitten food for $15.49 Cdn. So now I'm scared that my male kitten will have issues. I have been concentrating on preventing the cats' urinary issues and then my dog gets struvite crystals!!

So should I be looking for foods with grain then? Or if we go the all canned route, canthat be grain-free?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

I just bought a small bag of Now! kitten food for $15.49 Cdn. So now I'm scared that my male kitten will have issues. I have been concentrating on preventing the cats' urinary issues and then my dog gets struvite crystals!!

So should I be looking for foods with grain then? Or if we go the all canned route, canthat be grain-free?
all canned can be grain free I still use one occasionally with some grain ...

No yelling corn and corn gluten aid in uti health in poultry drys