Toy dunking?

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I change Maggie's waterbowl at least 5 times a day if not more because she's constantly dropping her toys in it. These are toys that she's pretty much outgrown like furry mice, balls or whatever small toy she can pick up and carry. On occassion, even dog food pieces. She has a ceramic bowl and I often find her sitting and staring into it and sure enough, there's an unwanted object floating in the water. She doesn't like to touch the water so she won't get it, she just watches it. I wonder if she's trying to tell me to get an aquarium?

Does anyone else's cat do this?

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
None of mine ever have done that on purpose, but that is really adorable.
She's definitely not being passive about letting you know what's on her wish list!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trout doesn't do it on purpose...but when her toys end up in her water, she just gently picks them out with her teeth

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Constantly! Pretty much like clockwork, every morning I wake up to mice or string in the water and/or food bowl. I've caught Bayliss doing it with the food; it always seems to be after he's finished playing, and he just drops the toy in the bowl before he starts eating. People have theorized that maybe the toy is their "kill", and he's putting it with the rest of the food(?) Conversely, they're trying to drown the toy in the water(?)

Who knows. It's cute, though.

aileen06

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rebby always would bat his toys around and head straight for the water dish. Everytime he got a new toy the first thing he would do was dunk it in the water dish.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two weeks ago I came home and watched Jack pick up the paper wrapper to a straw that had fallen on the floor walk over to his water bowl and place it on top--on top of a ball, a furry mouse I made and a milk ring. It must have been quite a day, thats 4 things he drowned in a matter of four hours.

He drowns something at least once a week. I love it when its a toy with catnip in it as the water turns colors and I have to squeeze the toy out and let it dry on the counter.

Can't live with em can't live without em.

Leslie

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kuura does that to his favorite mouse. It's the only toy that 'deserves' it.
He likes to drown the mouse and then brings it to me so I can throw it to him (he likes to play fetch) or hides it to someones shoe..
The mouse stinks very bad because of this, but I can't get rid of it 'coz it's his dearest toy. I got him few new identical ones but he doesn't like them.

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

Constantly! Pretty much like clockwork, every morning I wake up to mice or string in the water and/or food bowl. I've caught Bayliss doing it with the food; it always seems to be after he's finished playing, and he just drops the toy in the bowl before he starts eating. People have theorized that maybe the toy is their "kill", and he's putting it with the rest of the food(?) Conversely, they're trying to drown the toy in the water(?)

Who knows. It's cute, though.
Same with the roommate's cat here, Bonnie. Every morning she drops her mouse in the water dish. The same toy, everyday. lol.