We got a surprise! our kitten just gave birth!

mykittygizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We took in an abandoned female cat 2 months ago and we did take her to the vet for check up and all and wasn't told she was pregnant. Anyway we noticed her stomach getting big and this weekend we were going to take her to the vet to make sure she didn't have any infection.

Well except today after I got home from college, and SURPRISE I found her giving birth in the litter box! Long story short, we have 3 newborn kittens.

The question I have is, we have 2 other older cats in the house, both around 2 years old, male, neutered cats. What do we do? Do we keep them separate? For how long? How do we introduce them to each other?

We thought they were going to be fine but my older cat made a 'unhappy noise' when he came to visit momma and her kittens in one of our rooms and momma cat sat on her kittens to hide them from him and was making 'crying noise' so we have them separated for now.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Probably a good idea to keep them separated for a few weeks. When the kittens are up and moving around, the other cats can come in for a supervised visit and see how that goes. Right now, the momma is new to them as well, so the scent will make your boys nervous a bit. Also, she is only protecting her babies from your cats and is totally normal. I would just keep them separate and all should be good.

Congratulations on your new arrivals

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by myKittyGizmo

We took in an abandoned female cat 2 months ago and we did take her to the vet for check up and all and wasn't told she was pregnant.
2 month aga she was just got pregnant. No wonder the vet didnt notice anything...

Otherwise I second Skewch.
With a little luck your residents will be friendly uncles with time, especielly if they are pals with the mom.

But just now it is best and surely most easy to keep them speparate without trying to let them get friends already now.

Just now they both are behaving pretty normal and as most common.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mykittygizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I didn't mean she was 2 months old when we took her in. We took her in 2 months ago but we and the vet estimated her to be around 5-8months old.

She is actually quite fine with the two boys, but they don't seem to like the smell of her 'butt' probably because of all things that happened thru there today lol

Thanks for the advice! We are going to keep them separate for now and perhaps switch toys/sheets so they get used to each other's smell again.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Sorry I didn't mean she was 2 months old when we took her in. We took her in 2 months ago but we and the vet estimated her to be around 5-8months old.

She is actually quite fine with the two boys,
Yes, we understood. The cat pregnancy IS 63-65 days, thus two months ago she was just got pregnant, the tomcat being still just around the corner...

I suspected she and the residents are rather friendly by now. Otherwise she would probably chased him away when he come in and began with unfriendly noises.
Adopted shy semiferals are almost always submissive to the residents and eager to please themselves in. But they protect their small kittens just like any other cat-mom will do.

It will surely get OK here in the end. You are doing it right way.

Thanks for helping them out!

mykittygizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick question, momma cat has moved her babies under the bed from the comfort of the box bed we created her. Is there a reason why? Is this normal?

The kittens & her are being kept isolated in a bedroom away from the 2 resident boy cats. She ignores the resident cats when she went for her walk about around the apartment but the boys are not happy about her 'bloody bum' after they sniff it and makes unhappy noise and gets poofy..

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
She may feel safer under the bed. Does she let you handle the kittens? You can try moving them back to the box, but she could very well move them again as soon as you're not looking.

Do you have pictures?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Quick question, momma cat has moved her babies under the bed from the comfort of the box bed we created her. Is there a reason why? Is this normal?
I agree with Goldycat.

The behaviour, mom moving kittens to another place, is quite common and normal. Also among homecats.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww! Congrats! Yes, it's normal for her to move them, and unless you're there, I'd keep them seperated from your other cats until they're about 6 weeks.
What colour are they?
Good luck!

mykittygizmo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all your kind words and help! I really, really appreciate it. I didnt grow up with any pets so this is a very new territory. I had my first cat 1.5yr ago and today I've 6! HAHAHA I'll post pictures tomorrow for sure. I've been so busy w/ school and exams and the new family members (kitties!) have been keeping me quite busy!

They are beautiful cats. Momma cat is bengal mix with tabby (beautiful markings! can't believe someone abandoned her!). We don't know the father so we are hoping the babies will look more like her ^_^

I have 1 question. This is the 3rd day and I saw some very light blood spots in her bed sheets and earlier tonite on the floor. I'm waiting to take momma cat to the vet but how worried should I be? Is this normal, if so, how long does it last? When should I start to get really worried? Is there anything I can do? She is still a kitten herself (we assume 8-10months old) so could there be more complications?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thank you all your kind words and help! I really, really appreciate it. I didnt grow up with any pets so this is a very new territory. I had my first cat 1.5yr ago and today I've 6! HAHAHA I'll post pictures tomorrow for sure. I've been so busy w/ school and exams and the new family members (kitties!) have been keeping me quite busy!

They are beautiful cats. Momma cat is bengal mix with tabby (beautiful markings! can't believe someone abandoned her!). We don't know the father so we are hoping the babies will look more like her ^_^

I have 1 question. This is the 3rd day and I saw some very light blood spots in her bed sheets and earlier tonite on the floor.
Fresh blood after 3 days in no good, of course. But "red water", ie fluids with traces of blood in it, is quite common and normal.
So of course, do watch out, and even - continue to ask, but dont panic.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I'm not really sure, but I'd suggest calling your vet and explaining the situation
He'll tell you if it's an emergency or not.
Sorry I couldn't tell you more

Can't wait to see the pics!
to Mommy!