Detatched Retina

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So yesterday I noticed my cat, Siam's eye had turned from blue to a greenish blue, and she was acting a little funny. I took her to the vet today and it turns out she has a detached retina, which the vet said is caused by high blood pressure, and prescribed some blood pressure medication. My kitty is basically blind in that eye, and she can still see in the other eye, although its not 100% either. We think she's lost some of her hearing too. She can hear if you clap for example, but doesn't seem to acknowledge quieter sounds. Siam is about 13 or 14 years old (we aren't sure exactly because we got her as a young adult cat for free from some lady who had a lot of cats).

My vet got swamped today while I was there and is going to call me tomorrow evening to go over stuff in detail, but I'm just wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with detached retinas and/or blind/deaf cats in general, or experience with high blood pressure in cats?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No experience with them myself, but you need to have your cat's kidney function tested as well as thyroid and cortisol levels.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Smokey (R.I.P.) had high blood pressure due to Chronic Renal Failure. She was diagnosed at about 14 - 15 years old. I discovered the CRF & high blood pressure due to her retena's detatching in both eyes. I noticed her pupils were always dialated & she would walk until she almost touched the wall & then turn. Took her to the vet, they looked in her eyes & said, yep her retena's are detatching. Took her blood pressure & did a blood test. Sure enough her blood pressure was more than double what it was supposed to be & her kidney values were off. So She went on Norvasc right away for her blood pressure & sub-q for the kidneys. CRF is a chronic condition so it was a matter of treating her symptoms & keeping an eye on her. The blood pressure turned out much better. Within 24 - 48 hours of being on medication her blood pressure dropped & her retenas actually reattached. When I took her back the vet said they couldn't see any retenal problems. Now over the next 2 years of her life her CRF got worse & her eye sight began to fade, but she sill ate, drank & used her litter box just fine. So that's my experience. If your cat still has eye sight in 1 eye, she will learn to adjust. Just make sure the vet does a complete blood test to check for other health problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Strange_Wings and Rang for your suggestions. The vet drew blood yesterday to run a senior panel and stuff, I forgot to mention that in my OP. Rang, I didn't know retinas could reattach! I hope Siam's does.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweet72947

Thanks Strange_Wings and Rang for your suggestions. The vet drew blood yesterday to run a senior panel and stuff, I forgot to mention that in my OP. Rang, I didn't know retinas could reattach! I hope Siam's does.
I did not know that either. I still question if they had ever really detatched, or if they were just damaged. A senior panel is exactly what they did with Smokey (she's the kitty in my avatar)Sending lots of TCS vibes to Siam, for good blood work.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Vibes for Siam.

A detached retina sounds scary, but it also sounds as if there's a good chance for recovery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I did not know that either. I still question if they had ever really detatched, or if they were just damaged. A senior panel is exactly what they did with Smokey (she's the kitty in my avatar)Sending lots of TCS vibes to Siam, for good blood work.
Originally Posted by motoko9

Vibes for Siam.

A detached retina sounds scary, but it also sounds as if there's a good chance for recovery.
Thanks for the vibes. Her bloodwork looked good, except her kidney levels were off a tad. Its becoming mine and my mom's routine when my mom gets home to pill the cat. Siam is taking it all like a champ.
And Petey, our year old male kitty, is being gentler with Siam these days. Before it was a game to him to pounce on her and make her hiss and swat at him, but now he's being more of a gentleman with her.