TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Breaking Mews › The New Debtors Prisons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The New Debtors Prisons

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hopefully this practice gets nipped in the bud.......pronto!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/06/op..._r=1&th&emc=th

"Here is a tale that sounds like it comes right from the pages of “Little Dorrit,†Charles Dickens’s scathing indictment of Victorian England’s debtors’ prisons. Unfortunately, it is happening in 21st-century America.

Edwina Nowlin, a poor Michigan resident, was ordered to reimburse a juvenile detention center $104 a month for holding her 16-year-old son. When she explained to the court that she could not afford to pay, Ms. Nowlin was sent to prison. The American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan, which helped get her out last week after she spent 28 days behind bars, says it is seeing more people being sent to jail because they cannot make various court-ordered payments."
post #2 of 7
There were those who warned this sort of thing was coming when states starting throwing men who didn't pay child support into prison. The whole idea was dismissed at the time, but it looks like those "alarmists" were correct.
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
There were those who warned this sort of thing was coming when states starting throwing men who didn't pay child support into prison. The whole idea was dismissed at the time, but it looks like those "alarmists" were correct.
Men who don't pay child support for children they were responsible for deserve to go to jail. I have a friend who raised two children alone whose miserable ex was an architect and put everything in his second wife's name to avoid paying child support. I only pray that his second wife finally got sick of him and left with everything that was in her name.
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
Men who don't pay child support for children they were responsible for deserve to go to jail. I have a friend who raised two children alone whose miserable ex was an architect and put everything in his second wife's name to avoid paying child support. I only pray that his second wife finally got sick of him and left with everything that was in her name.
Have to agree with you on that one...so many of our child support clients hide their income by working under the table. I've come to realize that there's a 2nd part to the old saying, "You can't get blood from a turnip/stone" - it goes like this , "unless the turnip/stone's about to get thrown in jail!"....amazing how fast the turnip/stone starts to bleed!!!
And before the deadbeat dads get thrown in jail, the taxpayers pay for a public defender to keep them out - it usu. involves wheeling N dealing with the D.A.'s office because the DA office knows that it costs the county to incarcerate besides the deadbeat dad not earning anything.

I have to wonder about that woman who was put into jail. I'd have to read more about the case to decide whether or not it was wrong to incarcerate her. She may have not disclosed income, or perhaps willfully encouraged the behaviors that caused her son to be detained.
post #5 of 7
So you DO approve of debtor's prison, then? If you get to choose what the debt was for? How about those who don't pay traffic tickets? How about parking tickets? How about those who don't pay court-ordered expenses for their children?

Oh...wait...that's what the woman in the OP was jailed for, wasn't it?
post #6 of 7
Most courts will usually work with someone for a payment plan, child support is based on income and you can ask the court to look at it if it causes undue hardship - amazing how many of these people would have a nice new car but can't afford a fine or payment ordered by the court (for which they did something illegal or are caring for those they have a financial obligation to). I have very little sympathy.

However, I do think it is a stupid idea to allow taxpayers to pay more for put someone in a jail for not paying court ordered fines - garnish their wages and if they claim they are unemployed, give them a job and garnish that
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknowme View Post
Have to agree with you on that one...so many of our child support clients hide their income by working under the table. I've come to realize that there's a 2nd part to the old saying, "You can't get blood from a turnip/stone" - it goes like this , "unless the turnip/stone's about to get thrown in jail!"....amazing how fast the turnip/stone starts to bleed!!!
And before the deadbeat dads get thrown in jail, the taxpayers pay for a public defender to keep them out - it usu. involves wheeling N dealing with the D.A.'s office because the DA office knows that it costs the county to incarcerate besides the deadbeat dad not earning anything.

I have to wonder about that woman who was put into jail. I'd have to read more about the case to decide whether or not it was wrong to incarcerate her. She may have not disclosed income, or perhaps willfully encouraged the behaviors that caused her son to be detained.
In Ontario (don't know if it is Canada-wide), deadbeat dads cannot renew their driver's licenses if they are behind on support payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21 View Post
Most courts will usually work with someone for a payment plan, child support is based on income and you can ask the court to look at it if it causes undue hardship - amazing how many of these people would have a nice new car but can't afford a fine or payment ordered by the court (for which they did something illegal or are caring for those they have a financial obligation to). I have very little sympathy.

However, I do think it is a stupid idea to allow taxpayers to pay more for put someone in a jail for not paying court ordered fines - garnish their wages and if they claim they are unemployed, give them a job and garnish that
I like the granishing of wages idea. The money comes off at the source so there can be no argument. Yes, I've seen the ones with all the amenities but can't afford child support. If you can't afford child support, keep it in your pants!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breaking Mews
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Breaking Mews › The New Debtors Prisons