home and not happy...

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
just wanted to say a huge thx to everyone for the well wishes....

i am not impressed. they did a local instead of the block.... it took more freezing than normal....he started and i felt it....the anesthesioligist was horrible, the sedation didn't take.....she put it in, i got bout 5mins of a dopey head, then was clear as day. she said to tell her if i needed more.... i did, 4 times.... i was in tears by then end and the surgery only took 30mins.

recovery....awful..... i walked in there this morn with pain at 7/10.... recovery was 10/10....nurse offered codeine which i explained didn't work so she gave me 2 oxy's which i also mentioned that they wouldn't work. 30mins later, morphine......3rd shot of morphine brought pain down to 8.5/10....they couldn't give me anymore, so we got tordol involved....which got me back to my original 7/10. got to leave, boiut 10mins after they started the discharge, all the freezing wore off and the pain brought me to my knees.

guess what pain meds dr. gave me for home? tylenol 3's..... yah, huge help.... NOT.

soooo unhappy.

but....surgery went fine, he was amazed at me actually being able to do anything with my thumb because the swelling was one of the worst cases he's seen.

i'm kinda bitter LOL....had a few people think i was exaggerating on the pain and not being able to do much....least this proves to the insurance company that i am not lying

so yah, i'm home and grumpy LOL but i can say that the normal thumb pain is gone
the pain i feel is at the incision site, no pain up[ the forearm like i did have. so i would have to say it was a huge success.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that despite all the problems today that it heals better and you get some relief. I don't know what they were thinking as for what they gave you for pain...

That it heals quickly. And if you find yourself in surgery again.. maybe find someone else to do it!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry this was so painful for you. the pain will lesson. When I had carpel tunnel surgery all they gave me was T3's too. They don't do anything for me either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I hope that despite all the problems today that it heals better and you get some relief. I don't know what they were thinking as for what they gave you for pain...

That it heals quickly. And if you find yourself in surgery again.. maybe find someone else to do it!
Its the same surgeon doing the other hand and I will definately be voicing my opinion on the anesthetic....i want the block that I had with the prior hand surgeries.

Thanks everyone..... I was more just venting the frustration I had with the anesthesiologist, she didn't listen at all.

I go back in 2 days to check the incision....hopefully they will give me a less bulky dressing.... this one is HUGE... i made sure i brought a tshirt with huge armholes and still needed to stretch tme....

here's a pic:

its huge LOL

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh honey, I am so sorry you went through this... I hope the bad memories fade soon, and all that's left is a great result, and the end of years of pain! Please take care of yourself, sleep lots, and tell hubby to baby you for a couple of days!

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that the surgery was a real pain.. in more ways than one! \t
But the immediate result already is an awesome sign.. just think of the rest that's yet to come! The rest of the relief, that is.

I agree with carolinalima.. lots of pampering- doctor's orders!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a terrible experience
Sending major prayers and vibes that you heal quickly
It makes me soooooo angry when other people think that a person is exagerrating their pain....my urologist said that my side pain wasn't a kidney stone, but that to set my mind at ease, she'd order an MRI. The MRI showed up 4 small stones - she said she was surprised because normally people would be screaming with the pain - I told her that I tend to show my pain like a cat does -

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww Chris! Sorry to hear about all the problems with the surgery! At least once this heals you won't have to deal with the pain in your hand anymore!

for a speedy recovery!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You poor thing! Sheesh, it seems like pain control would be one of their top priorities... I'm sorry it was such an ordeal.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds awful! I really hope you heal up quickly, and I'm sure the surgery will be worth it to you if it helps with the pain you had everday. Good luck healing!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All I know is that generally women are more tolerant of pain than men.

I thought of you this morning when I went through Tulsa and saw a sign advertising for "Welders, $19.97/hr."

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw Chris, I'm so sorry the surgery was a nightmare! Sounds like you had a deaf stupid anesthesioligist! I am glad to hear that other than the incision area your thumb and forearm pain is gone

Hope you heal quickly

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry your procedure was so painful, however, hopefully now that it is all done your hand will be much better.

Hope it doesn't give you to much trouble as it is healing.

Lots of vibes for a speedy recovery coming your way..

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

Aw Chris, I'm so sorry the surgery was a nightmare! Sounds like you had a deaf stupid anesthesioligist! I am glad to hear that other than the incision area your thumb and forearm pain is gone

Hope you heal quickly
or, at least, a stupid one!
sending healing & !

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! That doesn't sound like a very good experience at all. I've been suffering from carpal tunnel for years and was just about decided to get something done about it. I'm tired of sleeping with hand braces and the pain during the day. But I think I woud just rather deal with it than go through what you did. Fast healing vibes for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spudsmom

Oh my! That doesn't sound like a very good experience at all. I've been suffering from carpal tunnel for years and was just about decided to get something done about it. I'm tired of sleeping with hand braces and the pain during the day. But I think I woud just rather deal with it than go through what you did. Fast healing vibes for you!
Oh please don't think that way.... when I had the carpal tunnel releases done, it was so much better of an experience...... they used a block instead of freezing needles (I didn't feel a thing with the blocks vs feeling the scalpel with this one), I was sedated comfortably, instead of not being given enough and given enough pain meds plus still had the block helping.

I think my experience today is NOT the norm at all.

I will say tho, that the amount of meds I had should have been enough for most people....except, i've be on a high dose of oxycodone for 2yrs now and my body has developed a tolerance for pain meds.

this would have been better if #1: they did a block instead of local freezing...#2 they sedated me properly.....those would have made it better.

i will say that the nurses were great, they were the ones pushing for me, they were the ones to see i was in alot of pain. My surgeon, i have no doubt that the surgery worked, but i don't believe he looked at my medication history at all

and the anesthesiologist, i think she didn't believe me about the meds not working (i was sleeping from them when i had the CTR) as well as not paying attention to my history either. She had one of those "roll your eyes at the patient" type attitudes.....i actually told them to tie my other arm down because i was aggitated from the pain, not sedated ast all and frustrated over her not listening to me and didn't want to inadvertantly do something with the free arm.

but the carpal tunnel release was amazing and it worked wonderfully..... only downfall for me is that CTS is coming back in my one hand because the scar tissue built up and is closing the tunnel again.

my arms/body is just messed up LOL

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you are feeling better today.

What does it take to have a patient's concerns taken seriously?? I hope you big this up and the docs count on your opinion for the next surgery.