Should the hedges go?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Title pretty much states it.

Pros: They're healthy, block the front windows some (the ones on the right are bedroom windows), and are already there.

Cons: I think they look outdated (not that the orange brick with red roof doesn't already
), it would be a lot of work to remove them then costs to replace them with something else.

That is the southern facing side of the house - full sun.

So should I keep them or does anyone else think they're ugly?

If people agree they should go, what sort of landscaping would look good?

Southwest theme would always be easy since I could use some native or other zone 7 plants - but I'm not sure. And of course preferably nothing that puts down roots that could be damaging that near a house.

Suggestions anyone, please?

And if anyone has the slightest idea what these are - I would appreciate some guesses at identification. There's no flowers or signs of such, just leaves.
I suspect it's some of the same that's growing in the front? Maybe they'll have small blooms on them later? In any case there's a bunch of them I have to dig up because they're growing where a turtle pen is being put - bulb plants tend to be toxic but I need to know how risky they are in case I miss any.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe instead of removing them trim them down a lot and thin them out some. Maybe get rid of some so they arent so boxy.
And maybe add a flower bed in front of them and plant some flowering plants so you can have some color?
Maybe like this:

or this:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cutting them down would mean they'd be very very bare. And waiting to do so during the fall or winter wouldn't make a difference appearance wise since I don't think they so much as dropped a single leaf all winter (we don't get that harsh of winters). I'm not sure how long such a drastic pruning would take for them to recover from - they're also rather thick/wide.

A flower bed in front of them would be even more work, too. I probably should have stated there's a narrow poured edging/walkway around it. I'd like to leave that and actually use it if I can.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Cutting them down would mean they'd be very very bare. And waiting to do so during the fall or winter wouldn't make a difference appearance wise since I don't think they so much as dropped a single leaf all winter (we don't get that harsh of winters). I'm not sure how long such a drastic pruning would take for them to recover from - they're also rather thick/wide.
I second the cutting them down, but it seems you can't do that soooooo in that case, yes I would get rid of them.

They would look nice if they were just below the bottom of the windows, but as they are now, they are covering way too much of the house.

What kind of landscaping do you like? Are you a flower person? Greenery? Grasses? What do you think of mulch? Bushes/shrubs?

I'm thinking you want something low maintenence right?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

I'm thinking you want something low maintenence right?
I want something that can tolerate freezing to 115F heat.
In the summer watering is a must, unless you want plants to die or go dormant.
I do like grasses. Not so much for shrubs and bushes - I have some forsythia and crepe myrtle in back that are more than enough.
I had joked with DH about putting flower and pepper plants up there.

I would really love some color. If those hedges bloom I sure haven't see it or any signs that they did - they're boring. That's also the only real full sun spot I have until with move our backyard fence back 14' and then that's space to be used for a garden.

Here's a picture of the pot I plan to use to make a small fountain off to the left smaller flower bed.... ignore Tomas and Sherman, I just brought it in to take pictures and they're fascinated with it.

That should give some idea of color and theme that would look good ultimately.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote for getting rid of them... they're overgrown for the scale of the house, they take up way too much valuable space, etc...

As for dealing with the heat of Oklahoma summers, there are drought resistant plants out there... I'm not much of a 'green thumb' so I can't tell you the names, but they're a big thing up here in Environmentalist Territory (i.e. Portland, OR). Maybe someone else can help you with the names...

I prefer apartment living at this point... I have barely managed to keep indoor plants alive... outdoor plants are worse... the ones I've bought and planted on my patio die within the summer i buy them... yeah, I'm not a good plant person. I have one Lucky Bamboo that's still going. I just bought another one and it's half dead already... yeesh.

I do want more plants though... need green inside.

Get rid of shrubs, get plants of varying 'adult' heighths... so some lower plants that stay close to the ground, and then closer to the building, plant some that will get 2-3 feet in height. and all ranges in between... mix it up... and there are a lot of plants out there that are drought resistant... mostly grasses, but I think there are others... I just don't know.

Amanda

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not too worried about the bed drying out - it's just the straight heat is bad.

I have some ideas now. I remembered we have some interesting pieces of ceder (including a really neat root) and lots of neat rocks left by the previous owners. Plus I can get all sorts of rock and mulch from my in-laws.

So what would be the easiest way to get those hedges out? They're easily bigger than I am! Trim/hack them down to size then dig them out?

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I want something that can tolerate freezing to 115F heat.
Palm trees would look stunning.
Just kidding. I don't have any suggestions for plants or flowers in place of your hedge, but we did remove one once by cutting it down and then digging around the roots to loosen them enough to pull out. Took awhile.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like them!
I would keep them just trim them a bit. And add flowers for color. And black mulch. The fountain will look great. Sounds like you have big plans.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I like them!
I would keep them just trim them a bit. And add flowers for color. And black mulch. The fountain will look great. Sounds like you have big plans.
I can't put any flowers in, there's no room.

The small fountain will be off to the side in a separate bed.

I'm not encouraged by hearing that removing just one takes a while...

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I'm not encouraged by hearing that removing just one takes a while...
Yikes, sorry.. I failed to mention the "one" we removed was bordering the outer limits of our yard and extended onto our neighbor's property. It only looked like one long, continuous hedge..

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise

And if anyone has the slightest idea what these are - I would appreciate some guesses at identification. There's no flowers or signs of such, just leaves.
I suspect it's some of the same that's growing in the front? Maybe they'll have small blooms on them later? In any case there's a bunch of them I have to dig up because they're growing where a turtle pen is being put - bulb plants tend to be toxic but I need to know how risky they are in case I miss any.
This looks like nut grass to me. Does it have dark brown or black "nuts" (tubers) attached to the roots, about 1/2" diameter? It's a very pretty grass, but it does tend to take over and crowd out any other plants. New plants grow up from the tubers, which means they can pop up in unexpected places. I've never seen flowers on the grass, but that could be because I dig them up before they have a chance to bloom.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

This looks like nut grass to me. Does it have dark brown or black "nuts" (tubers) attached to the roots, about 1/2" diameter? It's a very pretty grass, but it does tend to take over and crowd out any other plants. New plants grow up from the tubers, which means they can pop up in unexpected places. I've never seen flowers on the grass, but that could be because I dig them up before they have a chance to bloom.
I haven't dug any up yet - but I'm fairly certain I'll find a bulb. The way they're planted near the house suggest very intentional spacing. It's hard to tell from the picture (I was leaving and just snapped a quick pic) but the leaves are about an inch wide. They almost look like they should belong to some lily.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hedges right next to the windows like that are not safe. Many years ago we used to have them there as well but it makes it easier for thieves to break in because they make for good cover. We had a few things stolen that way...so got rid of the hedges and no more break ins.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormy

Hedges right next to the windows like that are not safe. Many years ago we used to have them there as well but it makes it easier for thieves to break in because they make for good cover. We had a few things stolen that way...so got rid of the hedges and no more break ins.
I live on a street where sound carries fairly well, there's three police officers and one highway patrol. A person would have to be very brave, and probably a bit crazy, to try to come in my front windows - especially with the neighbor across the street who leaves their porch light on all night! (the old man comes out at odd hours to smoke)
The neighbors beside me have three yapping shelties, too, so nothing human can step foot in my backyard without them going off - not even me.

So I'm not worried about break ins at all. Though there is enough space behind those hedges to easily hide someone.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I like them!
I have to agree! It might take some time but I'd only trim them down about 1/4 of the way and shape them, then next year do it again until they are shorter. I'd also think about taking out the one between the windows and maybe putting in a sun loving climbing firethorn (pyracantha) on the brick http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyracantha, maybe an azalea bush or something that flowers. Just be sure the color doesn't clash with the brick color

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ I already have something like that. It's near the front door, a bit over grown, makes bright red berries, and it has thorns. Whoever thought up putting something near the front door that has thorns sure was a genius.

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't tell you had that there by the door and YES that's a bad place for it! OUCH!