Digital Cameras: What do you have?

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi folks..... Well, providing I do quit smoking for at least a month minimum, I will be searching for a new camera.

I love photography, but it is a hobby only for me.... as in I don't take pics for a job, although I will be photographing cars for our car club as an amateur. I have a lot to learn, and would love to take an actual photography course.

I currently own a Canon PowerShot S3 IS that I bought a few years back when it was fairly top of the line. I wanted something with features that allowed me to learn some about SLR. I cannot handle a dSLR, as with lens they are too heavy for my hands.

From the fine folks at TCS, I would appreciate if you could tell me about your camera's.... I'll try to make it easy for you by posting direct questions that you can copy and paste.

1. Is your camera for professional use or hobby?

2. What types of photographs do you take? (home use, landscapes, macros, etc.)

3. What make/model of camera do you have?

4. How much did it cost?

5. Any negatives about your camera?

6. Would you recommend your camera?

7. Please list any additional details you find relevant to someone who may be looking at buying the same camera. (not meaning the technical aspects as I can easily find those out...just any other comments)

Thank you in advance.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

1. Is your camera for professional use or hobby? Hobby

2. What types of photographs do you take? (home use, landscapes, macros, etc.) all

3. What make/model of camera do you have? Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX100, 12 Megapixels

4. How much did it cost? $350?? I think it was...

5. Any negatives about your camera? If you don't know how to adjust properly, it can show a lot of noise on low light. But it can be fixed.

6. Would you recommend your camera? Absolutely - it's the best camera I've ever had... Great lenses (Leica), near perfect color output, and quite fast as well. The pre-settings are also great on this camera.

7. Please list any additional details you find relevant to someone who may be looking at buying the same camera. (not meaning the technical aspects as I can easily find those out...just any other comments) I would look at the lenses - I highly recommend Zeiss or Leica - they are pretty much the best lenses in the market. Also get one with rechargeable battery, the kind that you can put it on the charger, or plug the camera on the wall.

Thank you in advance.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1. Is your camera for professional use or hobby? Hobby, although DH wouldn't mind going professional one day

2. What types of photographs do you take? (home use, landscapes, macros, etc.) yes to all

3. What make/model of camera do you have? Canon Rebel XTI (dSLR)

4. How much did it cost? about $600

5. Any negatives about your camera? we like it because it takes such high resolution pictures, but the downside is that they are about 3-4 meg each, which means we use up a lot of space

6. Would you recommend your camera? absolutely

7. Please list any additional details you find relevant to someone who may be looking at buying the same camera. (not meaning the technical aspects as I can easily find those out...just any other comments) we picked this camera because DH had a lot of very nice lenses from his previous Canon SLR camera. The lenses could be reused with the dSLR, which we hadn't used in many years. I like this camera because it has so many automatic settings - portraits, landscapes, action shots, etc all controlled by a flip of a switch. But if you want to learn the basics of photography, it also has manual control options so that you can manipulate exposures. It has built in filter settings, and can go either color or b/w. I was able to manipulate it with 1 hand after my surgery, so it isn't nearly as heavy as you would expect. It all depends on the lens that you use. This camera was rated very high by consumer reports and I can see why.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Is your camera for professional use or hobby? hobby

pix of the furkids, mostly! i have taken some on vacations, home renos, etc. but mostly the kids

3. What make/model of camera do you have? mine's quite old - i have an olympus brio D-230

4. How much did it cost? when i got it [several years ago] i think it was around $200

5. Any negatives about your camera? i think there are better ones for a similar price now that the technology has advanced. i'd like it if i had the 'anti-shake' thing - i have to use the flash to get clear pix. even natural light won't help - & Chip has a tendency to shut his eyes when i use the flash

6. Would you recommend your camera? yes, in that it's simple to use & i get fairly good pix w/it. but as i said above, i think there are better ones available now. i'm not going to replace it until it no longer works, tho.

7. Please list any additional details you find relevant to someone who may be looking at buying the same camera. (not meaning the technical aspects as I can easily find those out...just any other comments) nope - i'm not camera-savvy enough!

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snake_Lady

1. Is your camera for professional use or hobby? Both.

2. What types of photographs do you take? (home use, landscapes, macros, etc.) Animals & portraits- but mostly emotive, fine art photography like the ones on my flickr page.

3. What make/model of camera do you have? Digital Rebel XTi (as well as a Sigma SA9 - film).

4. How much did it cost? It came in a 'kit' for around $800.

5. Any negatives about your camera? I don't find anything negative about it. This poor thing has fallen from a second story and is still working perfectly fine. Tough little sucker!

6. Would you recommend your camera? HIGHLY.. but it is somewhat heavy, so I'd recommend to you the Canon XS @ http://www.canonxs.com

7. Please list any additional details you find relevant to someone who may be looking at buying the same camera. (not meaning the technical aspects as I can easily find those out...just any other comments) "Just buy it."
Would love to see some pics!
Do you have them on any photo sites like flickr?

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
1. Is your camera for professional use or hobby? HOBBY

2. What types of photographs do you take? (home use, landscapes, macros, etc.) MAINLY LANDSCAPES AND BUILDINGS

3. What make/model of camera do you have? CASIO EXILIM EX-V7

4. How much did it cost? ABOUT $170 (bought on Ebay)

5. Any negatives about your camera? EXCEPT FOR NOT DROPPING IT, NO

6. Would you recommend your camera? YES

7. Please list any additional details you find relevant to someone who may be looking at buying the same camera. (not meaning the technical aspects as I can easily find those out...just any other comments)

IT HAS MANUAL FUNCTIONS, SO YOU CAN SET EXPOSURE, APETURE, ETC.

IT'S COMPACT

OTHER THAN THAT, NO

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hobby

Just the cats

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8

4. How much did it cost?
$500-$600

Can show noise in some pics

Yes, it's easy to use and program. Good speed, especially with fast moving cats.

miamaria

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Edit: Just realized the post was titled "DIGITAL" cameras.. sorry. This info is about a film camera.

1. Is your camera for professional use or hobby? Hobby

2. What types of photographs do you take? (home use, landscapes, macros, etc.) Mostly outdoor pictures of birds or landscapes

3. What make/model of camera do you have? Nikon N75 (Film SLR)

4. How much did it cost? $125 or 150, can't remember

5. Any negatives about your camera? It's a film camera.. so just the usual hassles involved with film. I am impressed with the quality of the pictures.

6. Would you recommend your camera? Yes

7. Please list any additional details you find relevant to someone who may be looking at buying the same camera. (not meaning the technical aspects as I can easily find those out...just any other comments) Fun beginner's SLR, really light and easy to carry around.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Hobby

A lot of cat pics (obviously), but I also take some pics of landscapes / cityscapes with it.

I have a Canon PowerShot SX10 IS. It's an SLR-like digital, probably much like what you have already.

4. How much did it cost?

$300

The fact that it doesn't fit in my pocket. I have to choose between getting really good quality pics or the convenience of a camera that I can carry anywhere without being a burden. Obviously this isn't a big deal around the house, but on airline trips it's much more of an issue.

The manual focus is a bit clunky. It works, but it's slow, so I wouldn't want to have to do it a lot.

Absolutely. This thing has a 20X zoom that actually works at all ranges. The image stabilization kicks butt - I've taken 4 second exposures hand-held that came out perfectly focused.

Has almost all of the features of an SLR without the big camera bag. The single lens performs well at a wide range of zooms without significantly compromising image quality. Works great in point-and-shoot mode as well for when you just want to grab the camera and snap off pictures. Functions as a fairly decent video camera as well.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in the market too! I have a Canon now, its very old but I will definitely be staying with Canon. According to reviews and my research, they are the best!

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Is your camera for professional use or hobby? I currently use it for hobby, but I hope someday to use it professionally and could now if I wanted to and have in the past.

2. What types of photographs do you take? (home use, landscapes, macros, etc.) Yes. LOL I use it for just about everything.

3. What make/model of camera do you have? Nikon D50

4. How much did it cost? I didn't buy it, it was a gift, but I would say around $700??

5. Any negatives about your camera? I wish I could get lower or higher ISO, I wish I had custom white balance, among other things. Most of which people that just want it for around the house and snap shots wouldn't even notice was missing.

6. Would you recommend your camera? Definitely, it's a great amateur/starter pro camera

7. Please list any additional details you find relevant to someone who may be looking at buying the same camera. (not meaning the technical aspects as I can easily find those out...just any other comments) I think it is extremely easy to use for a starter. I have loved learning on it and am ready to move to a better camera now but can't afford to.
Also, it tends to underexpose.

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Is your camera for professional use or hobby? both...

2. What types of photographs do you take? landscapes, macros, pets, wildlife, hockey, sports

3. What make/model of camera do you have?olympus sp 510 uz for now..but looking to upgrade this summer.

4. How much did it cost? at the time $300

5. Any negatives about your camera? nope :-)

6. Would you recommend your camera? yes!

7. Please list any additional details you find relevant to someone who may be looking at buying the same camera. (not meaning the technical aspects as I can easily find those out...just any other comments) its a wonderful camera, it has a 10x optical zoom and easy to operate.

Thank you in advance.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Is your camera for professional use or hobby? hobby.

2. What types of photographs do you take? (home use, landscapes, macros, etc.) just the cats or random things

3. What make/model of camera do you have? sony cybershot dsc-w120

4. How much did it cost? It was a gift, but I think they are around $170

5. Any negatives about your camera? You have to buy a certain memory card, it doesn't use SD cards.

6. Would you recommend your camera? Yes.

7. Please list any additional details you find relevant to someone who may be looking at buying the same camera. (not meaning the technical aspects as I can easily find those out...just any other comments). The smile feature is pretty cool. It will only take the picture if someone is smiling.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kara_leigh

1. Is your camera for professional use or hobby? I currently use it for hobby, but I hope someday to use it professionally and could now if I wanted to and have in the past.

2. What types of photographs do you take? (home use, landscapes, macros, etc.) Yes. LOL I use it for just about everything.

3. What make/model of camera do you have? Nikon D50

4. How much did it cost? I didn't buy it, it was a gift, but I would say around $700??

5. Any negatives about your camera? I wish I could get lower or higher ISO, I wish I had custom white balance, among other things. Most of which people that just want it for around the house and snap shots wouldn't even notice was missing.

6. Would you recommend your camera? Definitely, it's a great amateur/starter pro camera

7. Please list any additional details you find relevant to someone who may be looking at buying the same camera. (not meaning the technical aspects as I can easily find those out...just any other comments) I think it is extremely easy to use for a starter. I have loved learning on it and am ready to move to a better camera now but can't afford to.
Also, it tends to underexpose.
I use to have D60 and LOVED it. people are intimidated by a dslr, but these are entry level and VERY easy to learn. once you learn them you'll be hard pressed to go back. I have to use my mom's camera now which is a good one. Canon PowerShot SD880 IS but next to a DSLR it just doesn't cut it for me now.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Is your camera for professional use or hobby? DH's for professional use, mine for general use.

2. What types of photographs do you take? Both cameras get used for a little of everything.

3. What make/model of camera do you have? DH's is a Cannon 5d markII, mine is a Canon Powershot SD1000

4. How much did it cost? DH's was about $3000, mine was around $200.

5. Any negatives about your camera? No negatives about either one.

6. Would you recommend your camera? Yes!

7. Look on flickr.com for photos taken by the camera you are looking to purchase. This will be a good indicator of the quality of the images, and the types of images people were able to capture with the camera (i.e. night shots, macros, portraits, landscapes, etc.).

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Grogs

Hobby

A lot of cat pics (obviously), but I also take some pics of landscapes / cityscapes with it.

I have a Canon PowerShot SX10 IS. It's an SLR-like digital, probably much like what you have already.

4. How much did it cost?

$300

The fact that it doesn't fit in my pocket. I have to choose between getting really good quality pics or the convenience of a camera that I can carry anywhere without being a burden. Obviously this isn't a big deal around the house, but on airline trips it's much more of an issue.

The manual focus is a bit clunky. It works, but it's slow, so I wouldn't want to have to do it a lot.

Absolutely. This thing has a 20X zoom that actually works at all ranges. The image stabilization kicks butt - I've taken 4 second exposures hand-held that came out perfectly focused.

Has almost all of the features of an SLR without the big camera bag. The single lens performs well at a wide range of zooms without significantly compromising image quality. Works great in point-and-shoot mode as well for when you just want to grab the camera and snap off pictures. Functions as a fairly decent video camera as well.
I just got this camera for Mother's Day! I can't wait to figure out how to use it.
Have any tips?

proudmamiof4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Is your camera for professional use or hobby? hobby

2. What types of photographs do you take? (home use, landscapes, macros, etc.) pics of the kids,the cats and outdoor stuff

3. What make/model of camera do you have? Nikon P90 & Nikon s550

4. How much did it cost? $400 and $200

5. Any negatives about your camera? None that I can't chalk up to my inexperience at taking pics

6. Would you recommend your camera? yes

7. Please list any additional details you find relevant to someone who may be looking at buying the same camera. (not meaning the technical aspects as I can easily find those out...just any other comments)easy to use,great prices, Nikon s550 takes great everyday pics and is super small and light, Nikon P90 has 24x zoom and takes awesome pics!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bumping this up to see what everyone else has.... I know some people have gotten new cams recently

Right now, I am looking closely at the Canon PowerShot SX10 IS which would basically be the upgrade (several times) to what I have now: Canon PS S3 IS.

I am curious for those who have the SX10 IS, how well does the face detection work? I don't have that feature on mine, and it sounds like a great feature to have, if it works well.