Which Scratcher

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had to get rid of our old scratcher, it was just a sisal pole with a ball attached to a spring on top. And Kahlua does not like the hanging one or the floor one and we havent found a decent on for a decent price at a store here. But we get all sorts of pet catalogs at Camp and I found these! But which one should I get?
Option A
I like this one but I worry that Google will hide in it and attack... he's good at that.
Option B
A little Simpler and has 2 options for kitties but no toys attached.
Option 3
Which is just a simple one.

Which do you guys like?

Although they do have this one that I would love, but I'm waiting until I get moved!

Grr I tried to get a poll but when I sent it my computer decided to mess up and I cant add one now

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
of the 3 you're looking at, i like the 2nd one the best. i have one of these that's similar, & mine all seem to like it quite a bit.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen that cat tree in person and if you have an average sized cat, I suggest you keep looking. That look hide box/house is more kitten sized including the hole to it. It also seemed a bit unbalanced - or maybe the display model I seen was missing some screws.

I have this one because the little houses on it are big enough for adult male cats...and one smaller male cat at the same time.
They love it but the only complaint is that the left side isn't quite stable enough for three cats to sit on at one time. Consider how much weight will be put on any end of a tree when the cats are playing when you go to purchase one.

3's no good. Too short and you probably don't want them clawing carpet.

B's nice, but would probably be best as an extra scratcher if they had a post already.

A looks short.

Your best bet would be to keep looking or even make your own post so you can get one tall enough for your cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kahlua is really the only one that demands to have a pole. I'm moving in a few months most likely and will only be taking Joey and Kahlua so I dont know if I will be needing a big one since only Kahlua has her claws. And please note Kahlua is 6lbs and the size of a 7 month old kitten... shes 4yrs....

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I paid $39.99 for a 36" sisal scratching post at Petsmart for the girls' Christmas present. It has a carpeted base, a square pole, and a little bit of carpet around the top. They love it! Belle scratches it quite frequently, while Delilah loves to climb it (and still scratches my furniture
...it's much like that commercial where the cat is standing right beside the scratching post and going to town on the couch). They have other scratching options, including a smaller post, but they much prefer the wider/taller one.

As far as the options you had, I think I would go with the 2nd one.

However, if you wanted, you could probably make something cheap enough. That was my plan, but I got tired of waiting for my boyfriend to bring me some lumber home from work. All you would need is a piece of thick plywood/pressboard for a base (I would say ours is about a foot by a foot and a half), a portion of a fence post, some sisal rope, and a bit of carpet remnant if you wish to have carpet (seems to be my girls' favourite part).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^That's what I did for a post, too. We only had to buy the rope since everything else was laying around.

Originally Posted by capt_jordi

Kahlua is really the only one that demands to have a pole. I'm moving in a few months most likely and will only be taking Joey and Kahlua so I dont know if I will be needing a big one since only Kahlua has her claws. And please note Kahlua is 6lbs and the size of a 7 month old kitten... shes 4yrs....
Big is good though. It give plenty of room to play and most cats love sitting on stuff.

I still suggest a pole that's a decent height - get Kahlua to stretch out and measure her. Once you've moved get them a nice tree. You can never have too much cat furniture or toys.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

of the 3 you're looking at, i like the 2nd one the best. i have one of these that's similar, & mine all seem to like it quite a bit.
I also have the one that Laureen has and mine love that. I vote for 2 also. #1 looks too awkward to use as a scratcher, and #3 looks way to short and the base is so narrow that they could topple it over.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine prefer carpet to sisal - I have a "bench" instead of a post; it has a carpet wheel, a sisal post, and a carpet top board - they only use the carpeted area. I would advise to get one that has both materials.