Why does my cat scratch around his food bowl?

mycatprince

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat scratches around his food bowl. He does this long slow scratch all around his bowl. It does not happen all the time.

mycherona

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine does this too every time he eats. I think it's something instinctual - not sure if I'm right about this exactly, but I think it has something to do with saving it for later because, in the wild, food is not always reliable, so they frequently do save some for later in case there is a food shortage. Maybe??

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that makes your cat paw around the dish. In the wild, lions and tigers etc use this to bury their catch for later. My cats do the same thing.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Fluffy always walks up to her biscuits and does this. About 5 minutes later she will go back or eat them. When my cats Angel & Flutterby did this it meant they weren't going to eat it!

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyCatPrince

My cat scratches around his food bowl. He does this long slow scratch all around his bowl. It does not happen all the time.
My orange boy Moose also scratches around his wet food.

One of my three cats (I'm not sure which) has recently taken to picking up stray socks and dropping them on the leftover wet food on the plate. I'll have to do some subversive spying and see who's responsible.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup - they're "burying" it. Either to get rid of it or to save it for later.
Our Shelly goes around to all the kitties' dishes after dinner and buries ALL the food. Such a good boy.

For the "sock" kitty? Try putting a handkerchief down under the food bowl. When they go to bury the food, they can with the handkerchief. Maybe this will stop the need to cover it with your socks!

Laurie

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikita's dry food bowl is in the hallway a few meters away from the main door leading out of the apartment. My mail arrives through a slot in that door.

She does the digging thing and it happens regularly that I'll come home from work and all my mail will be on top or around her food bowl.

Cats..

zombiekittie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten does this too. i thought he was trying to tell me to stop spilling cat food outside the dish haha now i know better

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every cat I've ever had done this. It is instinctual. Just saving some for later! I usually put a towel under their dish so they can use that to cover up their food.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Mine only did this once (to my knowledge). And it was to a wet food he HATED and flat out refused to eat.

elastica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

My Fluffy always walks up to her biscuits and does this. About 5 minutes later she will go back or eat them. When my cats Angel & Flutterby did this it meant they weren't going to eat it!
Yes, my kittens Dexter + Giselle do this and I've learned to translate:

Scratching ground BEFORE eating = they don't like what's being served --> I take it away and add water/dry food/milk and they will eat it 2 minutes later

Scratching ground AFTER eating = saving for later

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... now I wonder what is wrong with my 4. I've never seen any of them scratch around their bowls. Maybe they are just too spoiled

fulpmes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I had one who did that and it was a clear commentary for canned food she had decided (on that day) was unfit for feline consumption and was simply NOT going to eat. I always found it really annoying that she would draw such a clear connection between that high price premium food I was sacrificing to buy for her and what she deposited in her litterbox.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Already answered, but yup Wesley and Buttercup both do this regularly, even if the plate is empty w/ just specs of wet food left. Good clean kitties, even if not the smartest for not figuring out that scratching the tile near the plate doesn't exactly help!

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat only does this with his water bowl, never the food. Strange. I have often wondered why.

glenn bigelow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Quote:

Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Yes, my kittens Dexter + Giselle do this and I've learned to translate:

Scratching ground BEFORE eating = they don't like what's being served --> I take it away and add water/dry food/milk and they will eat it 2 minutes later

Scratching ground AFTER eating = saving for later
Please do not give your cat milk as its system cannot properly deal with milk the way ours can.  

snoogie2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is my question.  My kitten scratches all around his dish, sometimes with a wee bit of food still left on it, and sometimes when it is totally eaten.  His food is fresh out of the tin so it is not because the food is old and the dish has been freshly washed so it is not because he smells old food.  What is my kitten trying to say to me?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girl does this - the best i can come up with is that she's burying it for later...especially as she'll come back a few minutes later 'un-bury' it and eat it! :lol3:

Last edited: