An angel watches over the stray feral cats of Red Hook Brooklyn!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, long but worth it.....
I work at Liberty Sunset Garden Center on pier 41 in Red Hook, Brooklyn. The neighborhood has always had several stray feral cats that run wild. These cats have not caused any problems as far as destruction or threatening other pets, but benefit us by controlling the mouse and rat population. Being a cat lover myself, I made a connection with one of the kittens last fall. I started talking to her and feeding her, and she became my friend out in the yard. I tried to gain her trust more every day, she would come when I called her, hang out with me all day, eat right next to me, but wouldn't let me touch her. When winter hit, and I was selling Christmas tress out in the yard, I would leave the door open to the hoop house so she could go inside at night. I ended up leaving at Christmas, I was in tears worrying about her and told my boss about her. I went back to work a week ago and found out they were feeding her and leaving access to the hoop house for her through the winter. One of my biggest fears is that she was going to be pregnant because I could tell she was going into heat in December.
So, I just went back to work last week, this weekend was pretty busy. I customer came in who after selecting a couple trees to purchase, said "You were feeding and leaving the hoop house open for the kitties, right?". Then she told me that she feeds the ferals in the neighborhood and I asked her if she has seen the tabby girl with the white stripe. SHe said "Yes, I had her spayed, shes in my basement." Then she told me she has had several of the neighborhood ferals spayed/neutered and then releases them back. I was so ecstatic to hear my little girl was alive and well, and beyond grateful to meet and learn that someone in the neighborhood not only cared but was actively aware and helping! She lives a couple blocks away and would actually come over to the nursery to feed them. SHe felt bad for my little tabby girl, she was young and being chased by the others. She was so happy to talk to me as well and is going to bring her back Saturday, when I'm there to release her when she is recovered. I think it's about time I give this little girl a name!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right! Sometimes there are angels that take the form of humans that watch over the animals. How wonderful that that lady did that!! Keeping watch, taking in and spay/neutering are truely unselfish acts of kindness!

I'm so glad you get to see your feral again soon! Have you thought of any names for her yet or do you need help?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

You're right! Sometimes there are angels that take the form of humans that watch over the animals. How wonderful that that lady did that!! Keeping watch, taking in and spay/neutering are truely unselfish acts of kindness!

I'm so glad you get to see your feral again soon! Have you thought of any names for her yet or do you need help?
Of course suggestions never hurt! I'm surprised I haven't named her yet, I think I was trying to not become to attached to her, but that didn't work. She is a golden tabby with a white star chest and white stripe down her belly, and 4 white tennis socks!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few name if it helps....
Ginger, Lucky, Brooklyn, Pumpkin, Bootsy, Abby, Purrky, Peaches, Amber, Zoey, Phoebe, Cloe, Mystic, Alley, Nala, Star and Gypsy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lil maggie

I have a few name if it helps....
Ginger, Lucky, Brooklyn, Pumpkin, Bootsy, Abby, Purrky, Peaches, Amber, Zoey, Phoebe, Cloe, Mystic, Alley, Nala, Star and Gypsy
We have 2 Brooklyn's on the pier already! I forgot to mention that every business owner on the pier are also animal lovers! I definitely like Gypsy since she is a wanderer.......