shorthair/longhair

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering, can a male and female shorthair have any longhair kittens? I was looking at the babies that Slick has and some have hair a bit more fluffy than the others. Any thoughts? Btw, the vet assistant says she has found one for sure home and one possible. The people want black and white male kitten and will pick him out as soon as we can sex them. Yahoo!!

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they can if they both carry the longhair gene. My British Longhair has shorthaired parents.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes longhair is a recessive gene. Either both parents are longhairs or both are shorthair carrying the longhair gene.

Some say that long hair kittens open their eyes later (10-14 days) compared to shorthairs (5-7 days). Do you remember how old they were when they opened eyes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their eyes aren't open yet. Its 11 days now so I am beginning to wonder if that is the case. Vet said 10-14 days is the norm. A couple are starting to have little "cracks" and I see a little blue in there. So cute. I have had cats my whole life but no kittens. So I don't have anything to compare them with. Thanks for the info.

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

Their eyes aren't open yet. Its 11 days now so I am beginning to wonder if that is the case. Vet said 10-14 days is the norm. A couple are starting to have little "cracks" and I see a little blue in there. So cute. I have had cats my whole life but no kittens. So I don't have anything to compare them with. Thanks for the info.
Oh, I know, its so funny when they start opening their eyes

If they've started, they should be completly open by 24 hours

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just for reference purposes, all my Cornish Rex (shorthair) kittens were opening their eyes from 5 or 6 days old - they all had open eyes by 7-8 days....so maybe its true.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally, a few are open, others well on their way.
12 days, they were sure in no hurry. But its a new world to them, I think I'd take my time too!

wine_black

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My shorthaired cats began to open their eyes on the 10th day...

farleyv
My congradulations with kittens!!

I have had cats my whole life but no kittens.
I know this feeling!
i had the same situation

wine_black

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Oh well - there goes that theory
you mean L - short hair gene (dominant), l - long hair and etc?

if both cats are Ll , they can have LH child..right?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No the theory about eye opening. I've heard for awhile about shorthair kittens open eyes by 7 or 8 days old (usually earlier) and longhairs open 10-14 days.

She wanted to know if they would be long or short hair kittens. But your shorthairs opening at 9-10 days, messes up that theory. So guess they will have to wait and see in a few months what hair length will be.

wine_black

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
GoldenKitty45
sorry that i talk about mine...here...
I think that they (may be) could be late progressing. I don't know how to say it right.
I don't know the life of the 1st baby, but the second has changed his teeth at almost 7 months!
I will check when my new kitten open their eyes ( in 2 months )...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No problem - usually winds up that we get "off topic" in relating about our cats. Your questions/answers are relevant to the topic

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My longhair was actually the first to open his eyes in his litter at the age of 7 days, all his littermates were shorthairs. He was also the first to eat solid food, use the litter box etc. He was in a hurry to grow up.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My normal coated kittens this summer opened their eyes by 3 days old. One had her eyes open at 36 hrs old...

Then, my Devon kittens opened their eyes fully by the third day. I know when I posted about it, it was mentioned that longer haired kittens open their eyes later than short haired kittens.