Shaded tabby?

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are having hard time deciding what colour my future kitten should be registered as. We were thinking that he is very bad shaded silver or very bad mackerel tabby.

I was reading TICAs color charts and noticed something called 'shaded tabby', but because my english really is not that good I didn't understand what it actually means. I was hoping if someone here could explain it so that an idiot could understand it or better yet, show pictures!

I tried googling, but that didn't make me any wiser as other people seem to have the same problem than me (they don't know what colour their cats are).

(TICA is very new here so they haven't translated anything in finnish yet and some of the colors are totally new for me too because I'm only familiar with FIFÉ).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can have a shaded tabby. It would be a shaded cat but with tabby markings on the tips. Do you have a picture or two you can post and we can take a look?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it sounds like he is a shaded mackerel tabby.

I only got this one newer picture (taken by the breeder) for now and it's not that clear, but hope it helps.
(I should go to visit them soon, it's been too long since the last time).

My oldest cat, Utu, is propably shaded tabby too. He's registered as a shaded silver (in FifÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]) but he is very dark, though not dark enough to be a 'regular' tabby.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO he's adorable first. I'd call him a Shaded Silver Mackerel Tabby.

One question - is either of the parents a smoke or a shaded cat? One of them has to be in order to get a shaded cat.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is GORGEOUS. I bred his twin (colour wise). I registered her as a Blue Silver Tabby (mk) because we don't have Shaded tabbies here - just shaded or tabbies.

Here's Misty

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

One question - is either of the parents a smoke or a shaded cat? One of them has to be in order to get a shaded cat.
Sire is black silver shaded and dam is black smoke.

(And my oldest cat who seems to be a shaded tabby too, has silver shaded and silver tabby parents.)

Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I registered her as a Blue Silver Tabby (mk) because we don't have Shaded tabbies here - just shaded or tabbies.
We didn't have them here either until 2008 when TICA arrived, that's why I had to check.

It's good to have own color for them, but I'll propably always see him as a crappy shaded silver unless I get used to seeing more of them..

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl is going in her first show the weekend of the 18th/19th so we will see what the judges say then. I'm just a junior judge (and I'm judging on the day) so I don't feel I'm an expert yet but it will be good to have some more opinions. I'll let you know what they say about Keeping Secrets
Do you plan on showing Utu? (Love the name too!)

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

My girl is going in her first show the weekend of the 18th/19th so we will see what the judges say then. I'm just a junior judge (and I'm judging on the day) so I don't feel I'm an expert yet but it will be good to have some more opinions. I'll let you know what they say about Keeping Secrets
Do you plan on showing Utu? (Love the name too!)
Good luck for the show!

Heheh, no wonder you like the name Utu, it translates as Mist in english.
I'm not sure if I'm going to show him. He is a neuter and has never been in a show because of his 'forbidden' hair lenght, but I might take him to a presentation show (not sure if that is the correct translation) where the cats are not judged, just shown to audience and someone tells them a bit about the breed etc.
The new kitten (who knows a nickname 'Tomu' which means Dust) will be shown when there are TICA shows near enough. Possibly in August if not before that.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

Good luck for the show!

Heheh, no wonder you like the name Utu, it translates as Mist in english.
I'm not sure if I'm going to show him. He is a neuter and has never been in a show because of his 'forbidden' hair lenght, but I might take him to a presentation show (not sure if that is the correct translation) where the cats are not judged, just shown to audience and someone tells them a bit about the breed etc.
The new kitten (who knows a nickname 'Tomu' which means Dust) will be shown when there are TICA shows near enough. Possibly in August if not before that.
Thanks! There will be 4 cats of my breeding there so it's quite exciting for me.

That is funny! I love it. I know what you mean about Presentation shows too!!!

wine_black

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hallo from a newcomer!

I'm interested in that question too!She is ns 23,
One of the judges had said, that my cat was rather shaded for tabby with not so bright tabby.She is ns 23.

She is ( i mean my cat) like NorthernGlow's fold.

My english is also not so professional, sorry

GoldenKitty45

As i've already said , my cat was the same with NorthernGlow's in her youth, her parents were blue solid and black silver spotted with white.... no shades....how did she get it, i can't understand....

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The shaded and silver genes are in the same family - so blue x silver spotted tabby could result in a shaded tabby.

wine_black

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The shaded and silver genes are in the same family - so blue x silver spotted tabby could result in a shaded tabby.
So, in my case, if 1 of the parents is silver, the kitty can be shaded?
Thank you!
I've passed my 1st phelinological exam, but i have not yet learnt all these important details. And we have no TICA in my region, only WCF.

Photo of nowadays.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^I must say that to me she looks like a tabby rather than shaded, but that might be because of the flash light.

*edit* Here is a pic of my oldest kitty, who is registered as shaded but is too dark to be one IMO.
Could he qualify as a shaded tabby?

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wine_Black

So, in my case, if 1 of the parents is silver, the kitty can be shaded?
Thank you!
I've passed my 1st phelinological exam, but i have not yet learnt all these important details. And we have no TICA in my region, only WCF.

Photo of nowadays.
Yeah this is a tabby not a shaded.

^I must say that to me she looks like a tabby rather than shaded, but that might be because of the flash light.

*edit* Here is a pic of my oldest kitty, who is registered as shaded but is too dark to be one IMO.
Yup definitely a shaded, not a shaded tabby. Some of them get darker with age.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellington,

So is Northern Glow's cat a shaded silver tabby or just a silver tabby? I've seen shorthair silver tabbys (Americans) and her's looks more like a shaded silver tabby.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wellington,

So is Northern Glow's cat a shaded silver tabby or just a silver tabby? I've seen shorthair silver tabbys (Americans) and her's looks more like a shaded silver tabby.
It's hard for me to say since the colour standards are different where Northen Glow is. If *I* was registering Utu in the NZCF I would register him as a Silver tabby because we don't have Shaded tabbies here but gosh if that option is available - great, go for it! because Utu's markings aren't defined enough to be a "Silver Tabby".

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And if we can't agree or are confused as to what to call them (being breeders and more show experience) then I can understand how the average person can't figure out what they have!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely!
I've got to admit I love the colour though - but it was one of the reasons I didn't keep Misty because I knew judges would hum and huh over what colour she was.

wine_black

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

1. Judges said : bad tabby, not so bright!! I was sure she was "23"!!!not 11... but his words had made me confused.
I'll look for her photo in childhood!
2. She has M sign on her forehead.... this is a tabby-sign!

Silver shaded standart:
Bright white undercoat, with black tipping, rather deep from the back to the sides, rather light on the head and legs. The head and the tail must have black tipping. .... in general , shaded is more dark, than chinchilla.
The eyes must be green or curie green.

Hm, this is the information from my feline lectues, Guest this is GCCF standart.

DON'T KNOW.....