Surgery tomorrow: healing vibes would be great if you don't mind :)

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they didn't reschedule so I'm very happy

I'll be having my first surgery tommorrow, then the other hand in a month or two.

For the curious:
http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00007

That link has an explanation (good pic, not graphic) of what they will be doing. In addition to the opening of the sheath, they will also be repairing any tears I have as well.... my surgeon anticipates some because of how bad I've been and how long I've suffered from it.

So I'll be leaving here about 6:30-6:45am, I'm supposed to be there by 7:30. Surgery is scheduled for 9am. I'm hoping that I'm the first one. I'm not sure how early this surgeon starts but if I'm the first, I should be on schedule. I figure I'll be home around lunchtime
as long as there's no complications.

Hubby is taking tomorrow and maybe Wed. off. We're not sure about Wed. It all depends on how I feel. The good thing is I've had surgery on my hands before (carpal tunnel release on both) so I know what to expect for the most part.

Anesthetic is a regional block called a Bier block.... kinda neat how they do it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bier_block
They start by wrapping my arm up very tightly with like a tensor bandage... Laying down, my arm is elevated and starting with the fingers they wrap, very tight, moving all the way down to just past the elbow....this forces the blood out of my arm. They put a tourniquet on it, then inject a local anesthetic into the area they are operating on.

I think that's the worst part of it LOL. When they did the CTR, the squeezing the blood outta my arm was quite uncomfortable, even with the sedation. The 2nd hand wasn't as bad because I knew what to expect.

So yup, I'm excited, that I'm finally getting it done and this is one less pain I will have (success rate is 95%, immediate relief)....nervous, you always think about the "what-if's", etc.

Thanks for any vibes you can spare

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So soon? But I know you've been eager to get it done and over with.

Good luck. If you can, keep us updated or have someone do it for you.
That all goes well!

lil maggie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I was busy sending you a pm about it and didn't see this thread!
Best of luck tomorrow Chris, you'll do great! I know you can't wait to get it over with!
Lots and lots of
and big

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know you have been looking forward to your surgery and the relief it will bring you! The very best of luck to you for your surgery and fast healing!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey my dearest - the day has finally come!!!

Congratulations, and all the luck tomorrow - you will do great! The question is......... are you going to be able to type with one hand?

I will be thinking of you tomorrow morning, sending you good vibes. Let us know how you are feeling ok?
Many many hugs!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the surgery went well and that you have some pain relief already.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone
I truly do appreciate the positive thoughts.

Originally Posted by strange_wings

So soon? But I know you've been eager to get it done and over with.
Not sure if this is what you meant by so soon but......

I'm quite thrilled that I did get in so soon. At my appt in Feb, they said it could be 3-4mos wait till the phonecall to give me a date.
I was surprised when I got the call saying Mar. 17...then it was rescheduled till tomorrow but still, that is way better than June.

Hate to say it, but its the way our system works: people with "pull" generally get in sooner.... and of course the Workplace Insurance board wants to get me well enough to work as fast as they can. (WSIB has the "pull")

Originally Posted by carolinalima

The question is......... are you going to be able to type with one hand?
Muwhahahaha.

I can voice with no hands my dear
However, when they do the right hand, I'll be awkward with mousing.

Originally Posted by mews2much

I hope everything went well today.
Thanks Jacky, I guess I shoulda put the date... I haven't had it yet.... tomorrow

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending major vibes to you for your surgery! With any luck you will be passed out from the medication before they do the Bier block on your arm - I was completely out by the time they started to do that with me.

It's been roughly 2-1/2 months post my tendon surgery and the only reason why I didn't heal any faster was because I had huge scar tissue that had to be worked out. Had I started physical therapy earlier, I would have had full use of my hand a month ago. So get yourself into PT quickly and you'll be using that hand again in no time.