Moving to.... Washington State

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey all...

I know I've been inactive on and off lately... My living situations have been rocky and unhappy. Luckily, I have a close friend here in Springfield that I can always come to for help. However, she's growing older, and I feel I need to get further out into that wide world...Away from the midwest where a lot of childhood abuse occured, and away from my family ties, (those who were the abusive parties). I do not want to be a burden on her, and want to experience the ultimate freedom you get when you live on your own, (about time, I'll be 21 at the end of the year).

I am trying to make a reasonable plan to move to Washington (state). Preferably around the Southwestern area, like Olympia or Port Townsend.
I currently live in Missouri...So it's a BIG move. I feel a bit overwhelmed and am grasping at where to start planning overall...I am looking for jobs in the area currently online, applying and calling companies to follow up.

Anyone in the area who cares to chat about living there, I'd really be grateful...As well as anyone who's done a move like this, any advice would be totally awesome!
Thanks!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be prepared for a big change in weather. And culture. And living expenses.

However, I think a big move like that is good for a person. Washington wouldn't be my choice, but I DO like Seattle quite a bit.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never lived in Washington, but I wanted to wish you the very best of luck!
It's very brave of you to be breaking away and taking a stand by doing what's best for you, especially having been through what you have.
In a way I'm facing a similar situation, so I know how the very thought can be overwhelming. But the more prepared the smoother the transition, so just try not to make yourself feel rushed. Everything will fall into place!

We made the drive from the Oregon coast to Arizona but stupidly didn't plan where we'd stop for the nights. That meant extra hours into the early a.m. trying to find any hotel/motel that would accept a bunch of dogs and cats.. if they even had a room available at all!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Good Luck!
I live on the East Coast, so can't help much.

I know there are a few threads in Care & Grooming aobut moving long distances with your cats.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't live there. I live in Montana and I have been to Washington State a few times and it's beautiful there. I wouldn't live there, though. Which part are you moving to? I have only been to Spokane it's beautiful there but too big for me.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only tell you that unless you like paying huge taxes for just about everything, I'd avoid the greater Puget Sound area altogether.

I'm from Seattle, taxes are what ran my family out of the area, we still have property in Ocean Shores, right on the coast, but it's only an RV pad and taxes in Grays Harbor County are not too bad.
King, Pierce and Thurston counties are the ones to avoid.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was born in Richland, Washington, at what was then Camp Hanford (Army post). All I remember is olive trees in the back yard, hordes of rabbits feasting on our yard at night, and scorpions the size of puppies (probably due to the proximity of the Hanford nuclear plant, which was built like Chernobyl, with no real containment building).

I did talk to a woman who moved here from Portland recently, and she said the cost of living is 'way higher up there than here in Dallas... which shocked me, because it seems terribly high here to me.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I moved alone from So. California to Portland in '98. Lived there for 7 years and really miss it. I can't give a whole lot of advice because really don't remember much. Just make sure everything is taken care back home.

I'm actually thinking of moving back to Portland! Things don't seem to be working out here, even though the culture shock isn't too bad. Prague is so saturated with english teachers that it is next to impossible to find a regular job with a school. I've got 2 private lessons but they don't pay enough.

Anyhoo, Missouri is where my ancestors landed after coming over from Prussia (Germany)...Osage County, city of Vienna and surrounding cities. St. Elizabeth, Westphalia, Koeltztown.

Look at me, I'm rambling on...

Good luck with your move! I hope you like rain!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up in Oregon, and I really, really miss the Pacific NW! Be prepared for a much higher cost of living and a completely different culture from what you are used to. I moved from Oregon to Ohio in 2004 so it is kind of a comparison to what you will be doing.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by plainjane

Hey all...

I know I've been inactive on and off lately... My living situations have been rocky and unhappy. Luckily, I have a close friend here in Springfield that I can always come to for help. However, she's growing older, and I feel I need to get further out into that wide world...Away from the midwest where a lot of childhood abuse occured, and away from my family ties, (those who were the abusive parties). I do not want to be a burden on her, and want to experience the ultimate freedom you get when you live on your own, (about time, I'll be 21 at the end of the year).

I am trying to make a reasonable plan to move to Washington (state). Preferably around the Southwestern area, like Olympia or Port Townsend.
I currently live in Missouri...So it's a BIG move. I feel a bit overwhelmed and am grasping at where to start planning overall...I am looking for jobs in the area currently online, applying and calling companies to follow up.

Anyone in the area who cares to chat about living there, I'd really be grateful...As well as anyone who's done a move like this, any advice would be totally awesome!
Thanks!
I moved to Maine from WA a little over a year ago, but I lived on the east side, near Spokane. Olympia/Port Townsend area is BEAUTIFUL! I love the west coast of Washington state. Rainforest, tulip fields (in Skagit valley) ocean, amazing. But very expensive.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I was born in Richland, Washington, at what was then Camp Hanford (Army post). All I remember is olive trees in the back yard, hordes of rabbits feasting on our yard at night, and scorpions the size of puppies (probably due to the proximity of the Hanford nuclear plant, which was built like Chernobyl, with no real containment building).
You know, I actually applied for a job at the Pacific Northwest National Lab (PNNL) and I looked at that area. It actually seemed like a pretty decent place to live. The guys I talked to who worked at the lab said it was a fairly cheap place to live as well.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hey all...

Thanks!
I was born and raised in Kent, about 35 miles north of Olympia. Of course I am biased but this is truly God's country. And when I go back to visit, I never carry an umbrella with me!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently live in Portland, OR. I haven't been as far in to WA as where you're looking, but if the rents and other living issues are the same as here... make sure you have a job that'll pay enough before coming to the Pacific NW. Jobs are tight up here as well and it's gonna get nastier. I applied for a job and my email got bounced (three weeks later, mind you) due to the inbox getting full very quickly. it wasn't even a really good paying job... it was just a couple buck more an hour than minimum wage here in OR, which is what I make.

Really look thoroughly, and get a job confirmed before showing up.

And if you make it up here? You can join us when we do eventually get a gathering assembled of Pacific NW TCS'ers.

Amanda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Luckily, I got an offer for a job today...Will be traveling to WA to view the areas and go to interviews on the 20th...
I'm excited!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Luckily, I got an offer for a job today...Will be traveling to WA to view the areas and go to interviews on the 20th...
I'm excited!
that is exciting! Congrats

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Hey all...

Thanks!
remember: the umbrella's are for tourists
i live in WA basically right on the canadian border, so not to far from port townsend. so here are some random things about port townsend

1) the ferry from port townsend to keystone - there used to be three passenger ferries until a year or so ago when they got condemned because of holes in the bottom which obviously you can't have in a boat! right now they are borrowing one from somewhere else, so if you want to take a car on the ferry you really should call and reserve ahead of time, defently need to do that during the summer. they i think are building some more ferries.

2) lots of people go up there for the day during the summer, its very 'touristy'. gas is more expensive because it has to be brought there over the ferry i believe.

3) no good cat food stores in port townsend that i know of, idk where the closest petsmart/petco is, which to me is important! idk if you have cats, but since you are on this forum i am just assuming so. don't know how far you want to go to get cat food, but The Country Store (also called Whatcom Farmer's Coop) has good brands of cat food for a good price.

4) it rains. and rains. and then rains some more. barely ever snows though in port townsend, but it rains, though i think you get my point! did i mention it rains jk?!?! though thats why it is so green all the time. in order for grass to stay green almost all year it has to rain

5) great resturant is the Bayview, close to where the ferry lands.

6) the city has wierd streets, at least to me. they don't line up lol! there is an awesome park that i don't remember the name of

7) there is an awesome lighthouse (Point Wilson?) and an old fort. i can show you some pictures if you want. also Olympic National Park isn't terribly far.

if you want to see some pictures that i took in port townsend just say. i have a few. also any questions i will try to answer. i don't know a whole ton, but i live close to port townsend so i know things about it, and go there a few times a year too. job wise, i really don't know, i don't need to have a job because i'm sixteen, but have two jobs (feeding calves and working for someone with 75-100 'foster' cats (depends how many are adopted and how many she gets). the biggest reason for me to have a job is getting away from annoying sisters, having something to do and love doing, and paying for cat food

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
pics in and around port townsend that i had on photobucket:

the park

port townsend taken from the ferry. just what part of the town looks like

seagull (there's tons of them) on the pilings by the ferry landing

the lighthouse

one of the ferry's that is no more

hurricane ridge

mount baker? i so used to the other side (see below picture)

the other side of mount baker

a tunnel at fort warden (sp?), its actually really long.

looking at the fort at the beginning of it

view from one of the roofs

fort warden lighthouse

the lighthouse from farther up

the deception pass bridge

north beach at deception pass

the south beach

same beach as previous picture

i generally manage somehow to take pictures that are crooked.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

I currently live in Portland, OR. I haven't been as far in to WA as where you're looking, but if the rents and other living issues are the same as here... make sure you have a job that'll pay enough before coming to the Pacific NW. Jobs are tight up here as well and it's gonna get nastier. I applied for a job and my email got bounced (three weeks later, mind you) due to the inbox getting full very quickly. it wasn't even a really good paying job... it was just a couple buck more an hour than minimum wage here in OR, which is what I make.

Really look thoroughly, and get a job confirmed before showing up.

And if you make it up here? You can join us when we do eventually get a gathering assembled of Pacific NW TCS'ers.

Amanda
I know this isn't directed at me, but I've been looking at rents around Portland and for 1 person and a cat, I can find a place for about 600. My old store manager at HomeBase now works at the Home Depot on Glen Widing. I'm seeing if he can possibly get me something there. Definately need to get something in writing before moving from here!

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled thread...

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

pics in and around port townsend that i had on photobucket:

the park

port townsend taken from the ferry. just what part of the town looks like
[SNIP]
i generally manage somehow to take pictures that are crooked.
Wow, thanks so much for sharing these! That's really awesome!

plainjane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryfriends50

remember: the umbrella's are for tourists
i live in WA basically right on the canadian border, so not to far from port townsend. so here are some random things about port townsend

3) no good cat food stores in port townsend that i know of, idk where the closest petsmart/petco is, which to me is important! idk if you have cats, but since you are on this forum i am just assuming so. don't know how far you want to go to get cat food, but The Country Store (also called Whatcom Farmer's Coop) has good brands of cat food for a good price.
Okay, not good! No cat food stores!!?!?!?!?!

Arrrrg!